Search

Getting rid of grass and weeds to make track

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Getting rid of grass and weeds to make track

Tiltle should read "Getting rid of grass and weeds to make track"

Not sure if this is the right area to post this but could not find a thread for track building. thx.

Time is not and issue here, planning on taking the summer to build this track, in the most cost effective way. My plan is to mow out the outline of the track really short then spray down the layout with grass killer. Just wondering how long would it take for the grass and weeds to go back to soil. I would till the ground but its a big job and would have to rent a tiller to do the job, but where im not in a hurry thought id try and kill the grass deffinatley the cheaper route.

Any input would be greatley apreciated thx.

Last edited by racer1812; 06-01-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: ....
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The easiest and cheapest way would be to run a mower over it after it dies and then burn it down with a weed eater. Once you do that blow it off and a little raking and some traffic should take care of the rest. After that is complete I would suggest getting a good pre emergent or some soil neutralizer and put down. This will help prevent new growth from popping back up.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If you're trying to be quick about it, Roundup vegetation killer or something similar is going to be your best bet. It should kill everything off within a couple of days.

If you want to speed the process of getting rid of the dead grass after that, you can always get a propane torch and burn it off.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Lawn mower --> Weed killer --> Weed eater --> Pallet wrapped in fencing with heavy blocks on top drug behind mower --> run truggies with badland tires --> enjoy.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Is there a homemade blend that you can mix together to kill grass?
Old 06-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I don't use solvents as they tend to seep into the ground water... not very environmentally friendly

I'd follow some of the other advice... mower - weed whacker - with the addition of one other tool I use ALL THE TIME for weeds and shaping jumps properly... ACTION HOE
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

A friend of mine said they use mag chloride to make sure plants don't grow. Anyone do that? I'm trying to build a track too, but I have an apple tree nearby that I don't want to harm
Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Adept

Round Up is the way to go on this job. Scalp the track with the mower, then spray it with Round up on a hot sunny day. Go back over it in a few days with mower or weedeater and it should be good. Once the round up hits the plants it soaks in and blocks enzymes. The left-over breaks down into naturally occurring substances. After that run on it, and maybe drag it. Spot treat as needed with the Round Up.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Do it right and rent a sod cutter it would be the best way to remove grass quickly, however its going to be a ton of back breaking work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxuF...eature=related
Old 06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nv529
Do it right and rent a sod cutter it would be the best way to remove grass quickly, however its going to be a ton of back breaking work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxuF...eature=related
Keep in mind if you remove the sod (good choice) you will also want to import dirt otherwise you will just be making a pond in most cases. A bobcat or dozer works wonders in very little time,, the bobcat also is nice for moving dirt around for jumps unless you're making an oval.. still nice if you want a bit of a pitch on the track.

I HIGHLY suggest considering drainage now vs later.. the better you plan the better it will be later. Keep the track level or higher than the ground around the track and have a plan and place for water to run off to. You will save yourself a ton of headaches with this planned out. Use some of hte same drainage tile and have it under the track in a few low area's if needed.. run the pipe to day light or a large ditch.

PS if you just doze it or use the bobcat and remove the sod then just use a salt based solution to keep anything from growing back,, there are several ways to make this but for the most part nothing grows if you get enough salt solution into the ground.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

1 gallon of vinegar with 1 cup of salt mixed in if you want a less "toxic" vegetation killer. Works as well, but a little slower (a couple days for round up equals about a week for this) but last as long and is a HECK of a lot cheaper.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Sprinckle some mircale grow on the area you want to kill and water it slightly, after about an hour or so spray your vegetation killer. It may seem contradictory but it will get the vegetation "drinking/eating" and they will take up the killer stuff quicker.