Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sc10 4x4 tekin pro4 high temps >

Sc10 4x4 tekin pro4 high temps

Sc10 4x4 tekin pro4 high temps

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry Sc10 4x4 tekin pro4 high temps

Like in the title I have an sc10 4x4 with a tekin rx8 and a pro4 4000kv motor. I ran it a pack or two during practice and a total of 4 qualifiers and 2 mains on a small high traction indoor track and was getting temps in the mid 160's. I was running a 14 pinion and a 62 spur. I went to a new track outdoor high bite large, but technical after about 10 mins the motor was too hot to touch. I dropped the pinion to a 12 but the motor was still very hot. The next day I went to my local track which is a medium sized 1/8 scale track, hard packed clay with lots of dust and low traction. My temps after 10 mins were getting really high almost 180.

The truck rolls freely with no noticeable binding, the belt is not too tight and in fact appears to be slightly loose. I'm running the overdrive pully on the front and the clicker is locked. On the esc I'm running the minimum timing, with current limit at 80, no boost, no drag, no push.

I'm not sure why I'm having temp issues most of what I've read I've seen people running a 15 pinion with no problems. The lhs said the truck is too heavy and I should be using a 550, but I know people are running this in the heavier losi, plus this was specifically designed for 4x4 short course.

Any ideas, I'm really frustrated.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
Like in the title I have an sc10 4x4 with a tekin rx8 and a pro4 4000kv motor. I ran it a pack or two during practice and a total of 4 qualifiers and 2 mains on a small high traction indoor track and was getting temps in the mid 160's. I was running a 14 pinion and a 62 spur. I went to a new track outdoor high bite large, but technical after about 10 mins the motor was too hot to touch. I dropped the pinion to a 12 but the motor was still very hot. The next day I went to my local track which is a medium sized 1/8 scale track, hard packed clay with lots of dust and low traction. My temps after 10 mins were getting really high almost 180.

The truck rolls freely with no noticeable binding, the belt is not too tight and in fact appears to be slightly loose. I'm running the overdrive pully on the front and the clicker is locked. On the esc I'm running the minimum timing, with current limit at 80, no boost, no drag, no push.

I'm not sure why I'm having temp issues most of what I've read I've seen people running a 15 pinion with no problems. The lhs said the truck is too heavy and I should be using a 550, but I know people are running this in the heavier losi, plus this was specifically designed for 4x4 short course.

Any ideas, I'm really frustrated.
you are probably undergeared, but if its a big track i would run 15T, for a 10 mins run, it is normal for motor and esc to get hot!.. I run 13t w/ 40t on my SCTE and i get 165-170 for a 10 min run. if i run it for 7-8 mins temps is perfect!... so watch your run time too...
Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Although a little different setup than you, I run a 4600. I have a 12T pinion on mine. I ran on a high bite track for a whole pack (practice) and my temps were close to 160 as well.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 07Forester
Although a little different setup than you, I run a 4600. I have a 12T pinion on mine. I ran on a high bite track for a whole pack (practice) and my temps were close to 160 as well.
I can deal with 160 but 180's are too high for me. I guess I'll try the 15t and see what happens. Are you guys having to change pinions from track to track?