Sportsmanship?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've had guys absolutely obliterate the rear end of my SC10. You know, out of control 4x4 jerks. If they don't say sorry or anything, then I just pull them off the track and ask for an apology, not the 90 bucks worth of parts that they should be paying for. And believe it or not, I've had some real stubborn jerks completely deny even grazing you.....that's what really I really hate.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 PM
TQ2
Suspended

Originally Posted by AngryRog
Ok, a bit of a rant I suppose…at what point did it become ok to get taken out in a corner or down a straight and have the offender drive off and when you call them out, they call it ‘racing’? I am NOT referencing beginner or rookie drivers. Accidents do happen, we all make ‘em.

Sportsmanship is a small part of our hobby now it appears from the offroad side of it. IMO, if someone gets taken out, the offender should wait and let the other recover before racing resumes. I see some of this at the tracks I frequent, but not nearly enough. This “Short Course” mentality (just a term for rougher driving in that class) is carrying over to the open wheel classes as well. Who’s responsibility is it to educate these ‘drivers’ to proper etiquette? I have witnessed and been part of a number of altercations, some of which carried over to the parking lot. I don’t see a ton of input from the race directors other than trying to keep the language clean while up on the drivers’ stand.

Spent about half of the 90’s r/c racing on and offroad electric, as well as onroad gas. Returned to racing early last year and could not believe the amount of bullsh*t going on at tracks today. Not being a b*tch, and if this is the way it is now, I’ll STFU and drive.

Flame on…
No argument from me. I was taught to drive clean, and it was expected. But you are right, between Touring Cars and now Short Course Trucks all racing has got out of hand. After spending too much time being wrecked and getting my cars broken and getting upset I finally decided to give up caring last year, so the guys that race me clean I race them clean and the guys that race me dirty I run over them every chance I get.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by samlax77
I've had guys absolutely obliterate the rear end of my SC10. You know, out of control 4x4 jerks. If they don't say sorry or anything, then I just pull them off the track and ask for an apology, not the 90 bucks worth of parts that they should be paying for. And believe it or not, I've had some real stubborn jerks completely deny even grazing you.....that's what really I really hate.

Ive been lucky with not having that issue with people in 4x4 Sc but than again ive been racing my SCTE on a large outdoor track.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Remember guys we are racing expensive toy cars and not getting paid for it so go have fun reguardless.

If somebody hits remember none of us are pro racers at all there learn evently but running into people on the straight makes 0 sense though !
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Truthfully, it does get really annoying. Also, I hate to say it, but when I first started out I hit people a lot ( I always made a point to apologize after). It was more from a lack of skill. I am grateful to have some good guys at my tracks who were respectful and taught me instead of yelling at me. I now try my best to pass it on.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

im sure most people can tell if it is on purpose or not, and like you say, its racing and things will happen, that cant be changed. if i believe someone has taken me out on purpose, i will call them out on it on the spot. i guess i have learned the hard way to be patient and wait for them to make a mistake so i can avoid this issue
Old 05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My issue is guys who take themselves too serious. I havn't had too many problems with people taking me out and if they do, well then they better hope I don't catch em in the next corner My thing is people a lot now seem to be so serious and nitchy if that makes sense haha. If someone is new, don't make them feel outcast because they haven't been around your club. That's my main problem, but ya people purposely taking you out sucks.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TQ2
so the guys that race me clean I race them clean and the guys that race me dirty I run over them every chance I get.
Pretty much sums it up right there!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your track announcer should tell those guys to give you your position back. I know at most of the facilities in WI if you don't give your place up, you will get penalized.

I get this a lot at practice, because I run 2wd mod, and I usually spank all the new 4x4 sc drivers, so they put me into the wall coming into fast corners. I've had words with a few of them, especially since they are breaking the chassis on my SC10 (3 times lol).

It really does ruin my day when I blast past a 4x4 slash, and he ploughs me into the wall without even attempting to brake
Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cloaked
I believe its up to the Race Director to clean it up.

I know a few places down here that stip the racer of points and place them last in qualifying for the rest of the year if they are seen as a serial offender.

Im still learning but every time I spin someone out I yell out sorry and wait.
i agree 100%. at any track there are chronic offenders. it's obvious they choose not to police themselves. the only way to clean it up is to start giving stop and go's regularly. those chronic offenders will soon start to think twice about driving through you if it costs them 5 or 10 seconds. it's human nature to try and get away with the most you can. it's the RD's job to keep it clean and fun for everyone because it's obvious the racers can't do it themselves.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I see a lot of people saying that it's just toy cars or there isnt money involved and for me, that has absolutely no bearing on the subject. We're there to race, not mob around the track like it's your back yard. There are many forms of racing that lack a payout (the Baja 1000 for instance), no money involved for the win but hacking, rubbing, "racin'," or whatever you may want to call is unacceptable, period. If you dont want to "race," dont show up to the track.

It is just common courtesy to police yourself with the stop and go but common courtesy these days is nonexistant. Society in general has way too many jackholes these days and parents are the problem. The whole "everybody is a winner" mentality has produced a couple of generations that suck (not everyone of course, just more than there were and should be).

When I get hacked, you wont hear a peep out of me on the stand and I wont retaliate, it just isnt how I was raised. Racers in general are good, honorable, sportsmen that share a common interest and passion, it's a shame the few can have such a negative impact on somebodies experience.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
i agree 100%. at any track there are chronic offenders. it's obvious they choose not to police themselves. the only way to clean it up is to start giving stop and go's regularly. those chronic offenders will soon start to think twice about driving through you if it costs them 5 or 10 seconds. it's human nature to try and get away with the most you can. it's the RD's job to keep it clean and fun for everyone because it's obvious the racers can't do it themselves.
To a point yes, but this points to a larger issue country-wide outside of rc racing. At what point are we not to be held accountable on our own? The race director can't watch every car in every race, and I've been screwed by a race director seeing the tail end of an incident that what not my fault, but seeing the end of it he thought it was and it cost me a podium.

It boils down to this- race others how you would like them to race you. The golden rule is applicable in all walks of life.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 AM
TQ2
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cloaked
I believe its up to the Race Director to clean it up.

I know a few places down here that stip the racer of points and place them last in qualifying for the rest of the year if they are seen as a serial offender.

Im still learning but every time I spin someone out I yell out sorry and wait.
Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
except that the Race Directors don't do it, are too busy doing something else, or give you a blank stare and say "what do you want me to do about it?"
i even had one tell me "hacking even goes on at big races" so I asked him which one, and he didn't have an answer.

Originally Posted by madweazl
It is just common courtesy to police yourself with the stop and go but common courtesy these days is nonexistant. Society in general has way too many jackholes these days and parents are the problem. The whole "everybody is a winner" mentality has produced a couple of generations that suck (not everyone of course, just more than there were and should be).

unfortunately the only way they get message is by giving them the "what goes around, comes around" treatment, and hopefully they'll get the message.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Drivers choose to be out of control or in control. Some will choose to be out of control most of time.

I make mental notes of whos doing what. Cool driving dude get's a pass, tardson flying around "trying" to be cool does not.....
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TQ2
except that the Race Directors don't do it, are too busy doing something else, or give you a blank stare and say "what do you want me to do about it?"
i even had one tell me "hacking even goes on at big races" so I asked him which one, and he didn't have an answer.
Unfortunately, most race directors work for the track, and it is difficult for some to critisize a paying customer.

Mostly, I find this happening with intermediate drivers. They have gotten fast enough to keep up with the fast guys (most of the time), but still drive like the slow guys...meaning they are usually on the bare edge of control. They also tend to have something to prove, and don't necessarily care who suffers for them to prove it.

I think the real issue is what the OP commented on. It is not so much the contact, but the refusal to admit to responsability, or attempt to make it right (by waiting). The flip side of this though, which is something I have run into, is the driver that won't let you pass in IFMAR qualifying, especially when they are being lapped. I am sorry, but IFMAR is about the time, not blocking people. If they have caught up to you, they are probably already ahead of you (on the timer). Be a man and let them pass. Races are where you get to make your car 15 feet wide, not qualifying.

Just my opinion...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.