Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Astro turf in the USA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
Personally I would be interested. How much cleanup is needed when running on astroturf by the way?
less clean up .

when i have a race on a wet dirt track it can take quite some work to clean the car. not so much with astroturf.

only downside is the sand that is used in the astroturf. it is a killer for the bearings

soaking wet astroturf track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ9fq...1&feature=plcp

soaking wet dirt track. the dirt sticks under the body making it much more heavier for the trucks. more strain on the electronics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UcoA...8&feature=plcp
Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

As mentioned above, run the staggers and yellow compound spikes. Great combo. Offroad carpet and turf is just awesome due to maintenance and the ability to change the layout instantly. If I owned a track that is what I would run simply due to ease of maintenance and the ability to change layouts.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy dirt, but the indoor carpet/turf.....hard to beat in terms of consistency and ease of layout change. Plus, on stormy days, guys can run.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would be interested in learning more about an astro turf track in detail. Like how it is built, how or if the astroturf is nailed down, what do you put directly under the turf, how do you make repairs, etc....

Also would like to see some video of 8th scale buggies and truggies running on an astro turf track.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

I also like dirt more than anything.

it is always different grip levels. in the morning you can have no grip and in the afternoon a blue groove. and when a little rain comes in, bye bye blue groove in 5 minutes.

it is never the same. running a 2wd 1/10 buggy on dirt , is the hardest thing to drive iff you ask me
Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
I would be interested in learning more about an astro turf track in detail. Like how it is built, how or if the astroturf is nailed down, what do you put directly under the turf, how do you make repairs, etc....

Also would like to see some video of 8th scale buggies and truggies running on an astro turf track.
this is an 8 scale astro track. just laydown the astroturf and use a lot of sand.
you can see that the astro used here is originally from a sports field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tvJ2...w9w&playnext=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpcWCIsyhSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkfqy...eature=related
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Tech Prophet

The only thing i dont like is the word Sand on the track
Old 05-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

with sand they tune the amount of grip.
only downside is that it is not so good for the bearings. but other that that nothing wrong with a bit of sand in the astroturf
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

I like the fact that the dirt track changes grip level every heat and with time of day. Keeps the races interesting.

That and the fact speeds are kept in check and with a softer surface so accidents are generally not fatal. With astro its concrete underneath and extreme speeds = more breakage.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I like the fact that the dirt track changes grip level every heat and with time of day. Keeps the races interesting.

+100

Old 05-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
The only thing i dont like is the word Sand on the track
NOOOOO Doubt!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fredswain
Carpet and astro turf aren't off road. Keep it dirt. Not even clay but actual dirt! THAT's off road!
Next are you going to tell us that since we are racing toy cars that it isn't real racing.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsmccallum
Why does Europe run astroturf? Is the clay more expensive there?
A friend of mine in England was telling me that because of the amount of rain they get that if not for astro tracks they would hardly get to race. He says once the rain quits the break out squeegies to get the low spots, 10 minutes and they are ready to race.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

We have real heavy equipment in the US. Can build an entire track in just one day.

Who cares if it deosn't last, racing on the same track over and over is boring.

Indoor wet clay with slick tires is lame. Minus well just get it over with and jump straight to onroad racing. Id rather see all of that clay torn out and a 1/10th scale carpet pancar track setup. Wasn't there a time when we had indoor Dirt tracks with loam?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Tech Prophet

Well yea i do think tracks that have rock hard clay and nothing mixed with it is not offroad really you mind as well do onroad racing . For one the condition of the surface is always the same and just wears your tires out fast if you run to soft of a compound.

I think the Astro turf is a good idea here in the states if your the kind of person who doesnt have the time to work on a track suface a lot.

But like i was saying though the sand factor is iffy its bad for bearings and supension parts to me !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.