Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Antennae (high as possible or coiled up?) >

Antennae (high as possible or coiled up?)

Antennae (high as possible or coiled up?)

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default Antennae (high as possible or coiled up?)

I notice some guys coil up their antennae in the car, some guys stick it a little up in the air and some are as high as the wire will go. What's the general rule of thumb. I know each rx is different than the other as far as antennae length. I have Airtronics 92744's which are pretty long. What say you?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
I notice some guys coil up their antennae in the car, some guys stick it a little up in the air and some are as high as the wire will go. What's the general rule of thumb. I know each rx is different than the other as far as antennae length. I have Airtronics 92744's which are pretty long. What say you?
I usually go short and stubby with the rest of the wire wrapped around the receiver. Nice thing about spektrum.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

I heat an antennae tube up with a heat gun and bend in 90 degrees, or put a couple bends so it'll go around and past the throttle servo on my Xb9.

That way the antennae is stretched out, but still under the body nice and neat.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

all of my airtronics antennae are still in the factory tie how they come out of the packet and stay well inside the body of all cars

never had a drama and the range is way bigger then any track i have ever gone too
Old 05-21-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
I heat an antennae tube up with a heat gun and bend in 90 degrees, or put a couple bends so it'll go around and past the throttle servo on my Xb9.

That way the antennae is stretched out, but still under the body nice and neat.
+1
Old 05-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

You will have the best reception the higher and straighter your antenna is, but rarely is it ever needed with the new digital radio systems. If a time comes when you are fighting interference or signal loss, try straightening out your antenna.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The higher the better in terms of reception. Most tracks are small compared to the range of most modern radios (except for Spektrum) so it isn't necessary. I treat my FASST system just like an old 75MHz and the range I get is farther than I can see with 20/20 vision.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

on my trucks i have 6" antennas on each.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I bought an antenna from a guy on here called: bigwavedav33

It is about 1/3 the length of the original antenna that I had on my Airtronics 92744 receiver. I just had to pop the receiver case open, unplug the old antenna, and plug the new one in. Now, I can keep the antenna through the tube, and it only stands up about 3" (well below the body). This way, I don't need to coil the antenna wire up, and risk it getting damaged... but at the same time, I don't have to have some huge antenna tube sticking out through my trucks body. When it comes to 2.4ghz transmitter/receivers, you don't need to worry about the antenna being up high. You can get an incredible amount of range with them... even if the antenna is short and below the body
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

I guess old habits die hard. Still run mine through the body. My airtronics antenna is t that long and it sticks out about 5" from the body. I can tell you my car will be out of sight before I lose reception.