R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-08-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default cleaning buggy after a run

Hi,

What's the best way to clean up buggy, easily after a run ?

Any thing that can.. spray on, wash away, and it will be spinkling
clean ? (Just kidding.)
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Spray it down with WD-40, wipe the dirt/dust off with an old toothbrush, and blow it off with an air compressor.

Done.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tired that before. Trouble with WD-40, is that it left
a layer of oil which stick up more dirt for the next run.
ongbenghui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I use wd-40 also. Not alot, and wipe off good. Makes everything nice and shiny, and the dirt/dust should not stick so hard the next time you're out playing. 1 inch painbrush works well too.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

I spray my wd-40 on a paintbrush, and then scrub it down...then soak most of the plastic parts in armor all so dirt won't stick.
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:34 PM   #6
Tech Regular

simple green works great and then I use armour-all to polish up the plastic parts.
jackfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I've seen many clean with WD 40, Simple Green, Armor-All, and other stuff too, all of which get the car clean and leave a pleasant shine. But they also leave a residue and I too believe that all those residues actually attract dirt. I don't want dirt in the hinge pins.

We only race electric, so I'm not (usually) trying to dissolve oil. A good solvent for most dirt is -- TA DA -- water. A little water on a cloth takes off all the dirt, and the act of cleaning things makes you look for cracks and breaks.

The fact that the chassis doesn't shine is outweighed, in my opinion, by the fact that it attracts less dirt.
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KREATOR1

do you take off the electronics if your car get really-really dirty with mud?
is it ok for the engine to wash with water?
KREATOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by KREATOR1
do you take off the electronics if your car get really-really dirty with mud?
is it ok for the engine to wash with water?
If your car gets really caked with mud, I'd definitely take off the electronics before cleaning. I'd recommend, if your car ends up like this a lot, using some latex balloons (or condoms, for the extra laugh) to bag up your reciever and ESC. Plastic may melt, so I don't recommend it, especially if your ESC gets real hot after a run.

If the buggy's electric, DO NOT TRY TO "WASH" THE MOTOR! You will ruin it. If you can tear down the motor, use a soft bristled brush to clean the endbell, then follow up with a slightly damp cloth. Make sure the bushings are clean with no dust or dirt in em. As for a nitro engine, I'd still not recommend it, but if you really know what you're doing you can probably tear it down and really scrub it, then reassemble it making sure all parts are perfectly dry and oiled.
Liko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Tech Master

you mean i have to take the kitt apart and clean it 1 by 1 after playing,

what about in races . is it ok to let the nitro 1/8 full of dirt before each heat and finals?will the perfromance drop?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
Tech Elite

The residue attracting dirt doesn't matter to me. I tear my stuff down almost every week anyhow. So cleaning is cleaning. And I believe it helps the stuff from sticking on to hard.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by KREATOR1
you mean i have to take the kitt apart and clean it 1 by 1 after playing,

what about in races . is it ok to let the nitro 1/8 full of dirt before each heat and finals?will the perfromance drop?
I really don't think it has to be perfectly clean. I've seen plenty of Traxxas trucks with a thin veneer of reddish-brown dust on em. That doesn't bother me, there's less than a gram of weight difference. The big thing is getting caked dirt and mud off, because that really will affect performance, and making sure all your moving parts are clean, like your wheel bearings. Those need to be wiped CLEAN, even dunked in alcohol to clear out the inside, and relubed every time they get dirty or after a few days of running, dirty or not. Dirt and mud in a bearing or a dogbone joint is not a happy story.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:30 PM   #13
Tech Master

thanks. that claer some things out. but can i spray water to my engine? if its get really really dirty.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

I really don't know about how tolerant nitro engines are of being torn down and washed. I do know DO NOT GET AN ELECTRIC MOTOR WET. The electric motor cleaner they sell is actually starting fluid, which you can find at wal-mart for 5 bucks for three times the size. Spray some of that onto the commutator and spin the shaft (don't hook it up to a power source unless you like explosions), then let it dry.

I would guess the exterior of a nitro engine is pretty insensitive to water unless you really dunk it. For the inside, I've heard everything from WD-40 to some of the more specialized after-run oils that help clean out gelled fuel and gunk. Someone else can probably tell you what to do there.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:31 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Nitro motors need the outside washed whenever you feel it needs it. I do it every time I run it. At least brush it off with a paint brush. It won't hurt the engine to wash with water as long as the carb is sealed off, and the manifold also. Dry off and spray the whole motor with wd-40. If you're going to run it under water faucet though, it's best to take off the clutch assembly and flywheel.

A dirty motor will bake the dirt/ooze or whatever onto the motor. Making it almost impossible to get off. Once it gets like that it makes the motor run hot b/c it can not dissipate heat like it is supposed to. You can try to get baked stuff off by softening it with nitro, and scraping or dremel wire wheeling it off.