R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   B4 LIPO Gearing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/622246-b4-lipo-gearing.html)

lemonader83 04-24-2012 03:52 PM

B4 LIPO Gearing

Can anyone give me some advice on how to gear my B4 given my motor, ESC and battery set-up? I know it's going to be undriveable... But I like to feather it up to crazy top speeds and watch it wheelie...

That being said, I have a Mamba Max Pro with a Castle 1406 5700KV Motor. Everything else is as you would expect... Trying to run a 3S LiPo and that is pretty fast but Castle's recommendation on gearing is 87/16 and it's super torquey. Can I run another gear ratio for higher top speed or should I move to a bigger motor? What happens when I move up to 4S, 5S and eventually 6S? Same gear ratio?

Help please...

z50king 04-24-2012 04:22 PM

I can see the possibility of getting a 3S in your B4, but how are you going to stuff a 4S, 5S, 6S in your B4????

I would assume you will destroy your little B4 if you run that much speed. Just go by temps to get your gearing down

umm winning 04-24-2012 05:34 PM

When you move up to 4s 5s 6s you will realize you wasted your time and money even trying... If you want to bash like that, get a e-revo or savage....

z50king 04-24-2012 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by umm winning (Post 10647918)
When you move up to 4s 5s 6s you will realize you wasted your time and money even trying... If you want to bash like that, get a e-revo or savage....

But if he is able to stuff a 6S into a B4, it will be WINNING

lemonader83 04-26-2012 03:10 PM

THANKS GUYS!!!

So since I have people responding to me, one other question. Castle says to run 87T/16T and all the local rc stores are telling me that's way too low. Yet...the last time I ran it with a Sidewinder ESC and my 3S at 81T/23T, I smoked it the minute I put on off-road tires and got to spinning.

The questions is... What gear ratio for all around good times?

To answer how I will stuff a 6S in there is simple, a modded Bulldog body. And seriously, who hasn't put a 6S in a REVO, and who has put a 6S in a B4? The answers...everyone, and me.

Vegatron75 04-26-2012 03:28 PM

Just put the biggest pinion you can actually fit, physically. As you already mentioned, no one is doing what your doing, therefore no one will have the answers you seek.

It ain't hard, wanna go fast, big pinion, want mad wheelspin, small pinion....

I run the same ratio, 81/23 in my racing only/indoor offroad buggy. That's w/ a normal 2s battery. So I would surely not run that ratio.

lemonader83 04-26-2012 03:59 PM

I just don't want to smoke another ESC... Big pinion makes sense to me, but the last time it was a major failure. I'll try the 16T tomorrow once the Mamba Max comes home and let you know. I suspect it's going to spin and spin and spin until I need new tires.

Hoping the Mamba Max w the fan plus an air scoop will keep it cool enough. Oddly, the motor doesn't even get hot.

Hotbodiesd4 04-26-2012 11:40 PM

if you don't want to smoke another esc first:

Run a proper esc designed for 6s
check temps

then ya good.

plz post a vid once you are done =)

lemonader83 04-27-2012 06:55 PM

K gents... Up and running, still trying to figure out the right gearing at 3S before moving to 4S, and so on.

Here's where we're at:
87/16 and the motor is HOT! Untouchably hot. So, I gather my next step is to bump up the pinion? The ESC fan didn't even turn on, and it was literally cool to the touch, almost cold feeling and it's about 45 degrees out.

Vids to come, I want to get the gearing right first, the Mamba Max Pro is designed for 6S my friend, but if you know of something better that will fit in my B4, I'm all ears!!!

z50king 04-28-2012 01:19 AM

how long are you driving? usually hot motor and cold esc means you are geared too low. How fast is it going? where are you driving this?

caaraa 04-28-2012 01:36 AM

Just put the biggest pinion you can actually fit, physically.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/...0.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

lemonader83 04-28-2012 06:27 AM

I drove it for about 20 minutes, doing laps. I put new tires on and tried the gorilla tape/anti-ballooning trick and was testing out the balance. It was easily doing over 50mph, but I haven't brought myself to buy a radar yet. Maybe I can find a friendly cop today...

Anyways, I'm gonna go pick up a variety of pinions today and see how it does with each. Still nice and cold out so I should be able to let it rip.

Thanks again for sticking with me on this guys!

UN4RACING 04-28-2012 06:53 AM

Try a 5 minute run, temp it and run on into 10 minutes and temp again. Gearing a 20 minute run will take a slower motor if you want to temp low. My B4 temps around 130 140 but after 10 minutes of practice its around 152/155. That's with a 13.5 boosted.

lemonader83 04-28-2012 09:00 AM

87/23 is the fattest I can fit. After three or four 1/10th mile straight runs it was warm to the touch, so thats the gearing I am going to run. It's ridiculously fast, but I have no idea how to tell what speed, I didn't get close to full throttle and ran out of room quickly. Waiting for a better day(tomorrow), cuz it's raining today so I am working with covered parking lots. I took a shotty video and will upload it soon.

I think it's bigger motor time. Suggestions?

HobbytownGBW 04-28-2012 09:22 AM

I had a 17.5 buggy once with 69/32 gearing in it and it ran great :)

But seriously, if you start pushing more voltage through that motor, you will quickly reach the rpm limit for the rotor bearings. If you are going to run 6S, consider going with a lower RPM motor, and a much taller gear ratio