Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protecting SC Body wheel-wells???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Protecting SC Body wheel-wells???

So I'm about to start my outdoor race season. I've been using shipping tape to protect my new body from getting scuffed up by the tires. I figure shipping tape won't hold up as well in the dirt.

Is there anything better out there to protect my wheel-wells during outdoor season (other than duct tape)???

Thanks.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcooper273
So I'm about to start my outdoor race season. I've been using shipping tape to protect my new body from getting scuffed up by the tires. I figure shipping tape won't hold up as well in the dirt.

Is there anything better out there to protect my wheel-wells during outdoor season (other than duct tape)???

Thanks.
The aluminum foil tape works well. It won't grab the tires and it doesn't wear through easily.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcooper273

Thanks.
I used to use chassis protector tape cut to fit the area I wanted to protect, but I found clear duct tape at Ace Hardware and won't use anything else now. Works great, doesn't affect the color through the body, and is cheaper than chassis tape.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
The aluminum foil tape works well. It won't grab the tires and it doesn't wear through easily.
THIS x100.

It's exactly what I use. It's the aluminum tape you seal heating systems with.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
works for me
Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shoe Goo works wonders. I use it on all my bodies just but a good coat on the underside on all painted areas not only does it protect it against scratches but it also makes the body much stronger.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AWDdude
Shoe Goo works wonders. I use it on all my bodies just but a good coat on the underside on all painted areas not only does it protect it against scratches but it also makes the body much stronger.
+1 on this, shoe goo helps strengthen the body too (obviously) just put it where you think the tires rubs and you will have no problem, amazing goo works just as good also
Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Duck tape works great
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AWDdude
Originally Posted by cschroedersc10
+1 on this, shoe goo helps strengthen the body too (obviously) just put it where you think the tires rubs and you will have no problem, amazing goo works just as good also
Shoegoo is 100x better than any tape... lighter and lasts much longer.

Thin coat under wheel wells and around body post holes and that area near the front bumper that goes to the front windows that tends to break and maybe a little bit around the rear bumper area depending on the body. Nice thin coat is all you need... super easy. I've heard a few using the spray on bedliner type substance as well.. but for me the shoegoo is in every store and easy to apply.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Shoe goo all the way.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

a single layer of black gorilla tape has laster in one of my bodies for over a year with no wear at all. it's all I'll use.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by getloose
a single layer of black gorilla tape has laster in one of my bodies for over a year with no wear at all. it's all I'll use.
I used gorilla tape in the past for a while too; it does work well, BUT weigh that sucker on a scale you can use three coats of shoe goo and have less weight and better protection.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Appriciate it guys, thanks!