Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekno RC EB48 Thread >

Tekno RC EB48 Thread

Like Tree2Likes

Tekno RC EB48 Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

I think I need to get it in my head I'm just not a very good or fast driver. I just lose it after a few laps. Today we got rained on and I only ran two qualifiers but neither of them did I do well.

I know people say we are just doing this for fun, but its not that fun to get lapped multiple times every race lol. Maybe I should just get a traxxas, this buggy is just to much for me!!

Though I did let one of the fast guys go a few laps and he looked ten times better then me haha.

Great job on the buggy tekno, this thing is a dialed out of the box work of art that is pretty darn bulletproof looking as I drove it haha.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I raced my EB48 last night and really enjoyed the car. My first night out my lap times were one second faster (17 instead of 18, indoor) than with my Losi 8ight. The Tekno turns better both on and off power and is much more planted in the rough stuff. I believe I set a record fast lap for the current layout too but they don't really track it so I can't be sure. I got second in the main because I wrecked a few times with very slow marshaling.

Ran stock set up with front shot oil 32.5 and rear 27.5. The kit set up was too stiff for the rough track.
All in all great car and I hope to buy a tekno Short course 4x4 soon... please.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Ran today for the first time at our RC Pro final race. Missed the first two qualifiers as I was feeling unwell in the morning. Qualified second overall. Slower than my MP9 lap time wise which is atypical as my laps with my Serpent E-Buggy are always faster or at least on par with my nitro.

More steering than the Serpent but hope to get it more planted in the rear tomorrow. Stock oils seem quite soft. Might go thicker front and rear and lay the rear shocks down in the rear.

We will see how it goes tomorrow!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

To the Tekno guys, thanks for the advise. I ran out of time to keep fiddling. I finished the build, and might mess with the shocks at the track tomorrow, especially if the stock oils are too light. I had the caps crazy tight!! I could feel the eyelet flexing!!! The bottom cap is tight too, I used a wrench there too.
The o-rings are fine, I always use green slime, and I left the lower cap loose until the shock shaft is in place, keeping the o-rings unloaded until the shaft is there to keep them straight. I will try overfilling them next time, and put them into hydro lock. If they still suck air, or if the bladders leak, it is the bladders. If they hold pressure (only a little!) They should be fine. I might sand the cap, I'll let you know if it works.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974
I think I need to get it in my head I'm just not a very good or fast driver. I just lose it after a few laps. Today we got rained on and I only ran two qualifiers but neither of them did I do well.

I know people say we are just doing this for fun, but its not that fun to get lapped multiple times every race lol. Maybe I should just get a traxxas, this buggy is just to much for me!!

Though I did let one of the fast guys go a few laps and he looked ten times better then me haha.

Great job on the buggy tekno, this thing is a dialed out of the box work of art that is pretty darn bulletproof looking as I drove it haha.
Don't be down you were how many laps faster with this kit? Your getting much faster every week. Matter of fact you looked better on the dirt with it. You do have the best kit at the track. I think I will call you lone wolf Tekno for now. I practice 1 or 2 times a week and race 1 or 2. The Losi I was driving is nowhere near the kit your driving box stock, but the set up is more suited for the track we're running. As soon as I sell this slow poke I will be running a Tekno then we will start our own pit table..LOL. We did get the mains in BTW. Took a lot of track work though. I would like to have driven it and maybe I can help you get it to where you could drive it a bit harder. Moody told me it felt like it was real light on the track. Lighter kits are more sensitive to shock oils and tires. Especially on a moto cross style track like ours. He said it handled pretty good. And to me it looked like a pretty sweet kit in person. If the season ends before I get one, next season I am all over this kit. And thanks for offering to let me run it in a Qual. I would have but I was on a mission with my kit.

At any rate in the pits are fun, racing is serious or you wouldn't be down. We have all been there so hang in there you will get faster. The ones that hang in there always get faster. New kits rarely dominate the track right out of the gate till you get it dialed to your style. No more Traxxas talk or I will will glue you kit to the pit table...LOL
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
To the Tekno guys, thanks for the advise. I ran out of time to keep fiddling. I finished the build, and might mess with the shocks at the track tomorrow, especially if the stock oils are too light. I had the caps crazy tight!! I could feel the eyelet flexing!!! The bottom cap is tight too, I used a wrench there too.
The o-rings are fine, I always use green slime, and I left the lower cap loose until the shock shaft is in place, keeping the o-rings unloaded until the shaft is there to keep them straight. I will try overfilling them next time, and put them into hydro lock. If they still suck air, or if the bladders leak, it is the bladders. If they hold pressure (only a little!) They should be fine. I might sand the cap, I'll let you know if it works.
Yeah, let us know how it goes. Sorry we couldn't be more attentive the past few days. The nats were fun, the buggy held up great, but we were chasing a setup on Austin's car. Going from outdoor to WCRC indoor took a few qualifiers. By the time we figured things out, we were a little behind and missed the A main. We learned a lot and we'll be sharing some setup info next week. Austin was able to lay down some fast laps with the car and he looked awesome on the track as the weekend progressed.

Oh yeah, and Ty Tessman completely dominated the 1/8th class with his Tekno V4 HB D8 :-) . Great weekend overall. We're going to get some rest and we'll be back. Hope everyone is having fun with the new buggy. Glad to hear the initial reports are good.

For anyone missing parts in the kit or anything like that (saw a post earlier), just send us an email with your info and we'll send you what you need. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Don't be down you were how many laps faster with this kit? Your getting much faster every week. Matter of fact you looked better on the dirt with it. You do have the best kit at the track. I think I will call you lone wolf Tekno for now. I practice 1 or 2 times a week and race 1 or 2. The Losi I was driving is nowhere near the kit your driving box stock, but the set up is more suited for the track we're running. As soon as I sell this slow poke I will be running a Tekno then we will start our own pit table..LOL. We did get the mains in BTW. Took a lot of track work though. I would like to have driven it and maybe I can help you get it to where you could drive it a bit harder. Moody told me it felt like it was real light on the track. Lighter kits are more sensitive to shock oils and tires. Especially on a moto cross style track like ours. He said it handled pretty good. And to me it looked like a pretty sweet kit in person. If the season ends before I get one, next season I am all over this kit. And thanks for offering to let me run it in a Qual. I would have but I was on a mission with my kit.

At any rate in the pits are fun, racing is serious or you wouldn't be down. We have all been there so hang in there you will get faster. The ones that hang in there always get faster. New kits rarely dominate the track right out of the gate till you get it dialed to your style. No more Traxxas talk or I will will glue you kit to the pit table...LOL
I wont get a traxxas lol. I had electric problems to with overheating etc. Hopefully I can get this thing fixed up and not overheating.

Going to be at the track tomorrow if its not all rained out and practice through a bunch of packs to fix the overheating problem. Might switch over to a 2050kv motor that I have in my box.

I am getting better, but watching moody with my buggy I just felt hundreds of leagues away lol.

Next week if Im racing Ill come a little early and let you play with it.

TEKNO! You need to get a gearing chart up asap. Its really hard to figure ratios and such when I dont even know the base spur gear.

Other then that, this kit is bosshog. Its beast. Its superman on 4 buggy wheels.

I did strip the servo horn that came with the kit, my bad, replaced it with a aluminum one and had to mod it to work, but it works great.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Tech Addict

Danny, what you call "inattentive" is better response than I've had from any other "high end" RC manufacturer in 20 years of racing!! Leaving for the track soon, I'll report back later.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 AM
Tech Addict

Iron wolf, your spur gear is 44 tooth.
So, take the spur, divide by the pinion, and multiply it by the final drive, which is 4:1.

Example-- 4417=2.58. 2.58x4=10.32 Your overall ratio is 10.32.
I'm running a 16 tooth pinion, this brings my ratio to 11:1. This is close to what I ran in my Eco, so I am using it as a starting point. I'll run it for a few minutes and check the temp, then adjust from there. I run a Tekin 1900 kv, with the RX8.

Hope this helps. I always have a calculator at the track. Nowadays, it is in my phone.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:11 AM
Tech Initiate

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html use this

* Enter Front/Rear Differential Gear Ratio (?): 4
* Enter Transmission Gear Ratio (?): 1
Enter Additional Gear Ratio (?): 1
* Enter Spur Gear tooth count (?): 44
* Enter tire diameter in inches (?): 4.5

Fill other slots with what you have and you'll get the theoretical top speed and a pinion chart.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dam
Major Bummer. I just got the wife pass. I was looking forward to watching your new ride!
a bit disappointed but if mama not happy no ones happy.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I didnt run my EB-48 last night but I brought it to the track with me and showed it around. I am going to run it on my next race day and compare to my Serpent. I had the Serpent running really good last night so I will be able to do a comparison to a car that is on point. I am pretty sure i will get the EB-48 faster than the Serpent. Just by looking at it, I think it will be. I will keep you all posted.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

@TEKNO......whats up with new bodys being available? i was so excited i painted mine and forgot to put the window masks on!!! ended up taking an exacto around the windows on the outside and removed film on windows and painted gloss black. hardly noticeable unless your real close to it. lol that was the only prob i had during the build except for the steering rubbing issue. used and dremel and took just a lil bit off and is fine now. other then that the build went UBER smooth!!!! finished building yesterday outside at a local series race. great to build it outdoors doing the shocks today at a club race and laying it down on some nice clay!!! STOKED!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I finished mine yesterday. The outdoor track isn't finished yet, so I just did a few laps on the indoor 1/10th track. Even with the wrog tires this thing is so much easier to drive than my SCTE.

I got home and found that there was oil all over my shocks. I thought I might have not tightened the caps enough, but even after I used a wrench to crank them down I can see air/oil bubbling through the breather hole in the cap.

Other than that the buggy is awesome. I'm hoping that we can get this squared away this week so I can race it next weekend.

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Anyone else having trouble with the shocks? I built them with zero rebound, cranked down the caps, cycled the shocks, and all seemed good. After I installed the dust boots and springs, I cycled the shocks again, and heard air!! I mean a lot of air! Now, I've built hundreds of shocks (racing for 20 years) and have never had this problem. I made sure the bladder was fully seated, and the cap was tight as can be without breaking anything. I might try some Mugen bladders. After three tries at 2 am, I gave up and went to bed. Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
I finished mine yesterday. The outdoor track isn't finished yet, so I just did a few laps on the indoor 1/10th track. Even with the wrog tires this thing is so much easier to drive than my SCTE.

I got home and found that there was oil all over my shocks. I thought I might have not tightened the caps enough, but even after I used a wrench to crank them down I can see air/oil bubbling through the breather hole in the cap.

Other than that the buggy is awesome. I'm hoping that we can get this squared away this week so I can race it next weekend.
I noticed the same thing, no matter what I did with the shocks they don't seem to seal all the way. I'll try Danny's suggestion of sanding the caps and taking the o-ring off, hopefully that'll fix it up.

Almost done with my build. Just need a new sensor wire and servo wire extension. Then of course install the pinion and solder the motor connections.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.