"Best" 17.5

Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

gearing super tall and running the endbell timing near or all the way up may not be the way to go on such a tiny track. You need to gear AND time the motor to maximize your output throughout the entire track. That track almost looks too small to reach full speed on the straight. Your lap times may improve gearing down a tad, or reducing your endbell timing. A lot of it has to do with feel, and it will be unique to your track.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevink123 View Post
Team powers platonium with a 12.5 rotor enough said they are extremely efficient and fast. Pm me for more info.
This man is onto something!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'd say work on your driving more than anything. Gearing/timing vs. heat is a huge issue in this class. Driving is still the most important...Not crashing.

Once you've believed that you have ran the cleanest race you can and still aren't satisfied...then worry about spending $$$ on a "better" motor.

my .02.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Good thread!
Learned something today..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

http://www.fantomracing.com/products.php?cat=17.5+Turn
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Best motor on the market hands down.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

How about power to weight ratio. I too thought about getting the "best" motor. I then spent a day at the track on practice day and started shaving weight here and there with different products I had in my tote. I went with a smaller servo which is almost as powerful, a shorty battery pack, and ditched the weights in my buggy. I then worked on my spring rates and shock setup to match my now lighter buggy and then hit the track for hours of testing. battery position regained my steering which was lost from lack of weight up front, lighter springs all around and a small camber change. My buggy is now 1/2 a second a lap faster using the same lines. This way doesn't cost anything if you already have a shorty pack. Also pay close attention to your battery weight, I tried using 70c batteries because I bought into the hype about bigger C rating's being better but they are quite a bit heavier compairing apples to apples so I went with a smaller C rating and have no burst power issues for a 7 minute main now and eliminated another 40 grams. You eat an elephant one bite at a time.LOL!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i personally love the fantom motors for most of my stock rigs like buggy and truck, but for short course i prefer thunder power with 12.5 rotor. it puts down mega torque and will take a lot of heat for those hot days and hot competition. like what was mentioned earlier, clean driving and the right tire will do more than any motor will, a great battery also helps look into pro-match racing.. havent been let down yet by either company above
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

The "Best" motor is the one that is powering the "Best" driver.

The level of driver you need to be to ACTUALLY gain a noticeable benefit from one high end motor to the other would make you a top pro.

It's the driver, not the gear.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir View Post
The "Best" motor is the one that is powering the "Best" driver.

The level of driver you need to be to ACTUALLY gain a noticeable benefit from one high end motor to the other would make you a top pro.

It's the driver, not the gear.
Very true, but given two drivers of equal talent, the better car will win. A ton of factors go into what makes a car "better", and a strong motor/battery combo is one of those factors.

The best way to get faster is definitely to improve your driving/chassis setup, but once you reach the point of running average laps within .1-.2 seconds of your fastest lap and you're chasing fractions of a second, every little thing can help.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
Best motor on the market hands down.
I haven't ran my Fantom yet, but everyone says it's better than the stock box D3.5 motors. Will be running it this weekend. 12.5 HT.

I want to build one of the Trinity 5% Certified motors and compare all three. My box stock D3.5 has been nothing but stupid fast, and I recently tried the 12.5 BP rotor, just looking for a little more bottom end. Didn't seem to change much except I had to drop a pinion to make the motor feel like it was happy. Seemed to hold rpm better though.

I also take apart, inspect, and clean after each weekend. I've had almost every 17.5 motor out there and these are by far the fastest and most powerful stock motors out right now.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
Very true, but given two drivers of equal talent, the better car will win. A ton of factors go into what makes a car "better", and a strong motor/battery combo is one of those factors.

The best way to get faster is definitely to improve your driving/chassis setup, but once you reach the point of running average laps within .1-.2 seconds of your fastest lap and you're chasing fractions of a second, every little thing can help.
Not disputing that at all. But, assuming you have a higher end motor LRP, Reedy, Tekin, Murfdogg, Schurr, Fantom etc., changing from a Reedy to a Fantom for instance should be VERY low on your list of things to look at. It's comparable to changing your shock weight from 30 to 32.5, or spring rates etc. (I'd even argue that a 2.5 change (improvement obviously) in shock weight will yield a better improvement than going from a Reedy motor to a Fantom.

All too often, racers look to solve their problem through their wallet. Electronics, motors especially, are usually the first thing looked at (that and batteries). I've seen the same mentality going back to "stock" motors in the 80's. I ran a Black Magic stock motor in the 80's and held the track record. My buddy was always number 2 (we would actually flip flop top spot) and he ran the same motor. Even though most people wouldn't consider that motor to be the "best" motor of its time, it was for me and my buddy. Guess which was the most popular at the track I raced at. Black Magic stock motor.

Okay my rant is over. And yes, this is just my simple opinion which carries no more weight than anyone else's LOL.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir View Post
Not disputing that at all. But, assuming you have a higher end motor LRP, Reedy, Tekin, Murfdogg, Schurr, Fantom etc., changing from a Reedy to a Fantom for instance should be VERY low on your list of things to look at. It's comparable to changing your shock weight from 30 to 32.5, or spring rates etc. (I'd even argue that a 2.5 change (improvement obviously) in shock weight will yield a better improvement than going from a Reedy motor to a Fantom.

All too often, racers look to solve their problem through their wallet. Electronics, motors especially, are usually the first thing looked at (that and batteries). I've seen the same mentality going back to "stock" motors in the 80's. I ran a Black Magic stock motor in the 80's and held the track record. My buddy was always number 2 (we would actually flip flop top spot) and he ran the same motor. Even though most people wouldn't consider that motor to be the "best" motor of its time, it was for me and my buddy. Guess which was the most popular at the track I raced at. Black Magic stock motor.

Okay my rant is over. And yes, this is just my simple opinion which carries no more weight than anyone else's LOL.

Another consideration is that different tracks favor different types of motors with different power bands. At my home track I run a Maxzilla D3.5, and its the strongest I've ever run. Awesome low end power, and the torque it has allows you to gear it taller to get top end speed. But on a lower traction track I prefer my Schuur Speed which has less torque and is butter smooth. It's just easier to drive smooth and not spin the tires, where the HT rotor in the D3.5 would spin the tires quite easily, even when driven softly.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Autocratic View Post
I've had almost every 17.5 motor out there and these are by far the fastest and most powerful stock motors out right now.
As have I, and I concur. I run the 12.5 HT rotor in my Fantom motors, in both my SC and my buggy, and gear/time accordingly. I have more top-end speed and low-end grunt than anybody else at my track (except for those other guys running Fantoms).

Johnny and Scott are both correct. Driving well, not crashing, and carrying corner speed is always what helps your lap times the most, and if those issues are still happening, track time is where all your focus should be... but gear (in a spec class) can CERTAINLY make a difference. The top guys at both the tracks I race at might be just 1 or 2 seconds apart across the entire length of a main, with nobody making any noticeable mistakes. Gear certainly comes into play.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Anyone notice any advantage from running a orion r10 160 amp esc over a tekin rs pro in stock sc?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service