Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hardened pinion choices? >

Hardened pinion choices?

Hardened pinion choices?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Hardened pinion choices?

Hey guys. I was running my Jammin X1 CRT tonight on 4s out behind the house. It was running great. I wasnt beating on it, just messing around. I drove up onto a little gravel road that runs behind our house and was throwing a little gravel, but nothing too bad. I was going back and forth between the grass and gravel.

Suddenly I heard it making a weird noise in the driveline. So I brough it over and low and behold my Novak hardened 14t pinion is missing a tooth. The pinion still looks great other than the tooth, and is only about a month old. My only thought is that it must have took a piece of gravel through the gears and broke a pinion tooth.

Now my question is, what is the best to replace it with? Another novak? Robinson Racing? RC Monster? These things are too high to be replacing often. I didnt have any issues with the novak pinion until now and im guessing most pinions would have done the same thing so I may just go back with another novak? Guess I better run with a body next time.
Attached Thumbnails Hardened pinion choices?-100_3066.jpg   Hardened pinion choices?-100_3067.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Cummins Driver View Post
Now my question is, what is the best to replace it with? Another novak? Robinson Racing? RC Monster? These things are too high to be replacing often. I didnt have any issues with the novak pinion until now and im guessing most pinions would have done the same thing so I may just go back with another novak? Guess I better run with a body next time.
I wouldn't imagine you would run into any issues with any of them as long as you keep your body on and the gears covered. My suggestion is to check your spur for damage as well. I'd find it unlikely that you could knock a tooth of the pinion without also damaging the spur.

Tan
Old 04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I thought that too, but I didnt see any damage to the spur. It looks fine to me.