Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TRAXXAS VXL vs CASTLE MAMBA MAX PRO >

TRAXXAS VXL vs CASTLE MAMBA MAX PRO

TRAXXAS VXL vs CASTLE MAMBA MAX PRO

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default TRAXXAS VXL vs CASTLE MAMBA MAX PRO

I have the VXL system on my 2wd slash. Its pretty nice but always room for more power/speed. I mostly bash with friends and race around doin jumps ect.
What would I gain from the Mamba Sys. Is it worth the money for the improvements it will give me?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SickS/ash
I have the VXL system on my 2wd slash. Its pretty nice but always room for more power/speed. I mostly bash with friends and race around doin jumps ect.
What would I gain from the Mamba Sys. Is it worth the money for the improvements it will give me?
EDITS: (thank the guys below) A MMP esc would give the ability to run sensored motors but for raw speed and bashing it doesnt mean much. It would give you options to run up to 6s lipo for some crazy times... with the right motor choice of course.

If you got the castle MMpro with the 1410 (combo) you would have endlesss torque and could gear up as high as you can fit and can keep your current packs.

If you just need a little more consider 3s if you are only running 2s on the velineon, you would be surprised how much it wakes up for bashing and play on 11.1v.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-08-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
A basic "mamba system" (4600,5700, etc) wouldnt get you much and may even run hotter than your velineon, you could always run 3s lipo if you are not already (to get more out of your current).

A MMP esc would give the ability to run sensored motors but for raw speed and bashing it doesnt mean much. It would give you options to run up to 6s lipo for some crazy times... with the right motor choice of course.

If you want to simply increase speed stay with your velineon esc and get a castle 1410 (3800kv). This is a 4 pole motor that can be geared in a slash as tall as you can fit, really drive up the speed.

If you got the castle pro with the 1410 you would have all the gains mentioned but if you don't change voltage it won't be any faster than the 1410 on your velineon esc.

Hope on of those helps.. sorry you left out a lot of details.
Hate this correct you on this but alot of people on the Traxxas forum have said the VXL does not like running 4pole motors.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
If you want to simply increase speed stay with your velineon esc and get a castle 1410 (3800kv). This is a 4 pole motor that can be geared in a slash as tall as you can fit, really drive up the speed.
This won't work. Several people have said that the VXL-3S ESC doesn't like 4 pole motors (kills the ESC).
Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rc10t3b4
Hate this correct you on this but alot of people on the Traxxas forum have said the VXL does not like running 4pole motors.
Could be right... I'd go with what they say. It has been 4 years since I touched one of those VXL esc's. Check w/ Traxxas first if you want to find out or read the manual to be sure.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Well I do alot of Bashing with buddys and alot of the tracks I run on are more supercross style then technical. Im just lookin for the best performance overall I can get. I live in FL so i mostly run on sand/dirt. so i use alot of 1/8 badland and paddle tires. I recently got the proline powerstroke shocks and I like them as well. I think id like to slowly convert into a backslash...
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SickS/ash
Well I do alot of Bashing with buddys and alot of the tracks I run on are more supercross style then technical. Im just lookin for the best performance overall I can get. I live in FL so i mostly run on sand/dirt. so i use alot of 1/8 badland and paddle tires. I recently got the proline powerstroke shocks and I like them as well. I think id like to slowly convert into a backslash...
2s packs for racing, 3s packs for bashing. Just swap in and out w/ the vxl, maybe the best of both for you. At least something to consider.

If you run the mmp/1410 combo and want to go back and forth you would have to swap gearing every time you wanted to play (pain in the rear) if you keep the same voltage.

If money is no object, get the castle setup and 2s and 3s packs :P Gear 2s up for racing and just drop in the 3s for some fun (again not much different than doing that w/ your vxl).
Old 04-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm a Tekin fan but for what you're doing go with the MMP SCT edition. If you want more speed just get a bigger battery.