Race starts?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default Race starts?

Since it appears only Mods can create polls, wonder if one could create a poll about race starts. IFMAR (staggered) vs Heads up. I grew up with heads up for qualifing and havent "come around" to IFMAR. Just curious if I am a minority in wanting to see heads up racing?
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

With IFMAR qualifying you get a better chance for a clean run. Especially when rocket rounds are in use, but also with qual points, a clean run is important. I know you 1/8 guys like bashing around, but in 1/10 we like the clean run. There's enough bashing in the mains...

Heads up starts also must be done carefully so everyone has an equal chance to qualify. That argues for 10 rounds of qualifying so everyone gets to start first and everyone has to start once from the back. Since that is impossible...
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

I understand IFMAR at big races, im speaking more of local racing. Seems everyone adopted IFMAR for qualifing. Racing is heads up, nascar, supercross, motogp, grandprix, indy, etc etc etc. Granted they all have variations on qualifing but they are heads up. I guess im odd since I dont find IFMAR qualifing as fun as heads up qualifing.

BTW, those are both 1/10 cars in my avatar. I enjoy clean racing also, the mains are the only time I feel we are "racing" though. With the staggered start it seems to be preached "your racing the clock, not each other" "let someone by when they are faster". To me its not as fun, like I said I guess odd.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I agree with the OP. I find it boring doing it the other way. Takes the excitement out of racing.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Heads-Up gets my vote....
Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've brought this up a few times locally, and with the current format of having the main decide who wins for the day, I think IFMAR is the most fair way to do it. That said, I would be totally in favor of heads up races if there was a format change- rather than have three qualifiers to decide the starting order, have four actual races and race for points for the day. Top three runs of the four count towards your overall for that race day, and then figure the winner that way. With three out of four counting, you can overcome a bad run, whether you made a mistake or someone took you out. I'm happy either way, but changing it up would be fun.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)

i like the IFMAR way. it tells me more about my set up. i don't get to go out to the track during the week and tweak and dial in my stuff. my practice is the quals. it's hard to see how your set up is doing when somebody is trying to race you and hack you. the quals tell you what your vehicle can do and the main tells you what you can do with it.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I grew up with heads up qualifing. I get IFMAR quali at big races but in club racing it's unecessary. My reasons-
It takes rookies three times as long to learn starts and driving in traffic with IFMAR style.
When there is only one heat (there won't be a B main) IFMAR is totally unecessary
Heads up is just plain more fun and exciting
IFMAR is boring to watch
Heads up is easier as a driver to know who you're racing and who the lappers are, no matter how good the announcer is.
IFMAR takes longer
Generally it just feels like IFMAR style caters to the crybabies

When was IFMAR first used? I never saw it ran until about 2003 or so? I ran at the ROAR regionals back in 1992 and I don't remember ever doing back then? I took a break then the next big race I ran was the HRH Shootout in 2003 and that's when I first saw it.

Last edited by Eric Tomczyk; 04-07-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

IFMAR is nice as long as the announcer is still calling the race like it's a race. Giving pace times as well as positions and how far back each one is. Keeps you in the loop as to what's going on. Granted, it's not that fun for spectators but I'm not really there to entertain them, lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

there is far too much emphasis put on qualifying in the first place (in rc racing). i mean, we spend all day determining who's going to start one foot in front of the other on the grid. seems pointless. we all go to race, not to qualify. why not do one qualifier, then triple a mains, or two amains or whatever. there are better ways to organize race programs than our current marathon of qualifying then a quick main...
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Eric Tomczyk View Post
I grew up with heads up qualifing. I get IFMAR quali at big races but in club racing it's unecessary. My reasons-
It takes rookies three times as long to learn starts and driving in traffic.
When there is only one heat (there won't be a B main) it's totally unecessary
Heads up is just plain more fun and exciting
IFMAR is boring to watch
It's easier as a driver to know who you're racing and who the lappers are, no matter how good the announcer is.
It takes longer
Generally it just feels like IFMAR style caters to the crybabies

When was IFMAR first used? I never saw it ran until about 2003 or so? I ran at the ROAR regionals back in 1992 and I don't remember ever doing back then? I took a break then the next big race I ran was the HRH Shootout in 2003 and that's when I first saw it.
I was wondering the same question? I stepped away from racing around 98-99 and just got back into it in August. Seems like everyone uses IFMAR qualifing. It is nice to hear that im not the only one that finds heads up to be more fun. Dont get me wrong, I see the advantage of staggered starts at big races but I also recall the Reedy race being something along the lines of multiple races where the winner was determined by points gained in those races. As I recall, it was heads up.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AZRC4Me View Post
there is far too much emphasis put on qualifying in the first place (in rc racing). i mean, we spend all day determining who's going to start one foot in front of the other on the grid. seems pointless. we all go to race, not to qualify. why not do one qualifier, then triple a mains, or two amains or whatever. there are better ways to organize race programs than our current marathon of qualifying then a quick main...
Nice idea for sure.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I like Jonny5 and AZ4ME's ideas, I've often thought something like that would be nice.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IFMAR qualifying with a resort after the first round is the way to go, especially if there are multiple heats in the class. Otherwise it can be near impossible to get a good run with the slow and fast guys all intermingled. qualifying is supposed to be... qualifying, not racing.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

Qualifying is against the clock (even though you share the track with other cars), and the staggered start is the fairest way of running that. Mass starts just end up with a random pile-up at the first corner and everyone's time suffers.

Whether or not RC racing spends too much time qualifying is another matter. I've always pushed for two- or three-leg finals rather than four- or five-rounds of qualifying for a single final.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.