R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-11-2005, 09:08 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Or parts?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #77
Tech Rookie

We are now a week away from receiving the new X10 (hopefully).Fundamentally the design hasnt changed drastically because it was so good in the first place.All the issues with the old cars appear to have been addressed so the X10 should be awwsome!
I would suggest it wasnt that the car didnt work on every track across the world, more so that it simply requires setting up correctly.
It has been proven that the car works in the US etc. but its just has to be set-up properly. Should there be a worlds in australia and ttech send a team, i bet they would get the car working!
Just found this photo of a P8 but with the X10 body and wings.Looks mean to me!Check it out:
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/telfo...ges/4wd24.html

PS It has low ground clearance coz it was the best setup for the track.It can easily be adjusted to have far more!!!
Woodchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #78
Tech Rookie

Older pred parts.See www.the-pred.co.uk
New pred parts may fit older preds though!
Old 09-10-2005, 04:14 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchop
I would suggest it wasnt that the car didnt work on every track across the world, more so that it simply requires setting up correctly.
It has been proven that the car works in the US etc. but its just has to be set-up properly. Should there be a worlds in australia and ttech send a team, i bet they would get the car working!

PS It has low ground clearance coz it was the best setup for the track.It can easily be adjusted to have far more!!!
So if drivers can set up EVERY other brand of 4wd and can't get the Pred to work..then it must be the drivers fault

I'm sorry, but design plays the most important part on whether or not a car can be "dialed-in" to a particular track/surface.

If it was possible to get any design to work 100% effectively simply by tuning, then we would have many vastly different designs working well in all scales of r/c cars.

Yet this doesn't happen does it? That's because certain designs simply work better, depending upon the track. All cars have advantages and disadvantages, and you can't simply dial out any inherent design flaws.

Whilst I am a fan of the Pred's unique design and originality, a quick look at the success of the car reveals that it has, in the past, performed best on high-grip tracks, and is simply NOT as good on very low grip surfaces, especially combined with bumps.

This is the cars inherant handling trait, and not something that can simply be dialed out, though obviously through tuning, any deficiency can be reduced, as with all cars.
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dirt-Racer

Sorry Bender and no the TTech was never built for the aussie tracks or market, simply it just wouldnt be viable and not big enough to compete with the UK and USA market where the cars work well. Thats what you wanted to hear was'nt it? And with regards the ttech cant handle the bumps, thats just BS.
Dirt-Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:48 AM   #81
Tech Elite

http://www.teamlosi.com/results/1997/ifmar4wd.htm
Old 09-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #82
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Sorry Bender and no the TTech was never built for the aussie tracks or market, simply it just wouldnt be viable and not big enough to compete with the UK and USA market where the cars work well. Thats what you wanted to hear was'nt it? And with regards the ttech cant handle the bumps, thats just BS.
Judging by the link in your signature I'd say you were a little biased eh

I would love to see one of these "special" rough track handling Pred's - don't think it will happen though. I have formed this opinion from experience and until I'm offered proof that the car does work on rough tracks to an equal level of other 4wds then my opinion won't change. Please prove me wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
That track would be an on-road track compared to what we were racing on at the time! US dirt tracks also offer vastly more grip, and as I've said before - There is a big difference between bumpy high-grip tracks and bumpy low-grip tracks. See the latest worlds in Italy and you'll get my idea.

As I said before, if ANY design worked, then why do manufacturers make cars so similar eg: Gas off-roaders, 1/12 circuit, 2wd off-road, touring cars.

The FACT is not all designs are created equal, and the evidence of that is all around - could any current world champion have won if they were driving cars of substantially different (and arguably inferior) design, I don't think so
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #83
Tech Elite

I'm not inviting nor involving myself in any argument...simply offering the results to that particular race!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #84
Tech Rookie

I fully agree with all the comments on design!I just believe the pred design is very good.2001 Euros.Preds were 1st and second with Ian Kenningley and Craig Drescher.If you look at a pic of the track, there are loads of bumps and jumps etc.Results speak for themselves.But yes, the pred is designed with the UK in mind. CLearly it CAN perform in other places though.
P.S. X10s have arrived to customers in UK today!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #85
DEH
Tech Initiate

Default Report!

Well, how about a report? Anybody race their's in the UK or elsewhere yet? Is it doing well? Do you like it?

Thanks in advance

D
DEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #86
Tech Rookie

Cool X10 @ International Hobby Expo

Hi All

Just to let you know that TTech will be showing off the NEW X10 Predator at the International Hobby Expo in the Los Angeles Convention Center on stand 1102. The dates are October 20-23 2005 and I understand that Richard Weatherley will be on the stand for all you USA racers to meet.

Gav
Gavgrafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:50 PM   #87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I saw this car in person over the weekend at the iHobby Show...all I can say is...WOW!

I have some pictures, will post once I resize them a bit

Steve Wang
Old 11-11-2005, 07:42 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchop
We are now a week away from receiving the new X10 (hopefully).Fundamentally the design hasnt changed drastically because it was so good in the first place.All the issues with the old cars appear to have been addressed so the X10 should be awwsome!
Just found this photo of a P8 but with the X10 body and wings.Looks mean to me!Check it out:
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/telfo...ges/4wd24.html

did u get ur car yet?

i wouldnt ever waste my time with a predator again, self tapping screws into soft plastic, stupid rocker arm front suspension design, for minimal benefit of C of G but all benefits lost by the inherant flaws in the design due to attempting to change the direction of the compression using low grade bits, which means u lose efficiency, poor support from the company, a thousand unkept promises of new cars blah blah, just get the losi xx-4 re-issue

and ooh wow, it won a race in 96,what was it up against, yokomo yz-10s? big deal, the losi xx4 blew them away when they came out
Bathurst Vintage Enduro - 17th March, 2018 - 1st round of the NSW Vintage enduro Championship
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:06 PM   #89
Tech Regular

I have never owned any previous Predators, but the New X10 no longer uses self tapping screws. It has all M3 machine screws throughout (same as motor screws), except some smaller metric screws used here and there. The plastic used seems pretty rigid to me, not soft at all, but maybe they are using a different composite now! I can't say I have had any real durability issues yet. I have broke a front hub carrier and had to replace a top bulkhead cover and a spur gear. I seem to have curred the spur gear problem and the hub carrier broke when I nailed a metal pole off a jump, nothing unusual about it breaking. I have to say thought with as long as it took to release this kit, I think other notable improvements could be made. Problems that people were aware of before on the older kits. The motor cam is not notched to keep it from moving (wants to slide out of the lockdown, not rotational wise), which in turn causes the problem with the stripped spurs. All in all any problem I have come across I have found a way to address. I can't say any have turned out to be all that serious or unfixable but could have easily been addressed with all the time that was taken for its release. I don't regret buying this car though. I always wanted one and now I have one.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:32 PM   #90
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFX
did u get ur car yet?

i wouldnt ever waste my time with a predator again, self tapping screws into soft plastic, stupid rocker arm front suspension design, for minimal benefit of C of G but all benefits lost by the inherant flaws in the design due to attempting to change the direction of the compression using low grade bits, which means u lose efficiency, poor support from the company, a thousand unkept promises of new cars blah blah, just get the losi xx-4 re-issue

and ooh wow, it won a race in 96,what was it up against, yokomo yz-10s? big deal, the losi xx4 blew them away when they came out

hahahahaha.

now i am not a pred fan....but your whole losi thing is pretty lame as an argument! lol.......xx4 was/is a great car but i seem to remember the xx4 finishing below a pred at the 98 worlds! in fact highest placed xx4 was 8th and ooooh a yokomo won it! 1st, 4th, 6th and 7th in fact! fair enough it was the MX4.

Maybe mr weatherly has fixed all the probs, who knows and in the end unless your planning on buying one, WHO CARES???

Glenn
Mr-s413bt is offline   Reply With Quote