R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2005, 01:53 AM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just a quick word regarding the past performance of the Predators cars.

It has been noted on other forums that the Predator was most successful when TTech boss Richard Weatherly has been there to personally supervise/assist drivers.

He was on hand when all of the previously mentioned wins were achieved - the question is what is the car like without that sort of support??

I used to hate the Predators, simply because in our reigon they just didn't work - for a variety of reasons, one being no team support.

Now I'm looking forward to the new car because off road is now so boring with only one or two competative cars out there.....

however I still think there is a danger that this very expensive, technological marvel may suffer the same fate as the originals unless more can be done on the team/support side.

Perhaps having an up to date web site with team driver setups and possibly an "Ask Richard" thread will be a big help.

What was that I said about a quick word
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #62
Tech Master

most tracks are now pretty smooth,where i am the only 4wd are the losi,and they do break quite easily from what ive seen.and to change a belt,stuff that man,just about have to pull the whole car apart.the predator will be interesting,the track where i race only has small jumps.we are lookin for a new venue to race but it could take 2 years to get,hopefully be able to put some decent jumps on it then.we got a few bj4's showin up soon,they look pretty good,they are about $700 aus i think.parts are easy to get to because they are mainly associated,which is a good thing.lookin at www.ttechracing.com the predator x10 sounds damn fine i recon.
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 03:11 AM   #63
Tech Rookie

Default Pics

If you wanna c some pics of the new Pred' visit here : http://www.ttechracing.com/x10gallery/index.htm
Al75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

Am I the only one who was hoping for something a little different looking to the original car?
Old 06-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I was hoping for a new-from-the-ground-up kit.

I'd still be interested to see how it'll work on american style tracks that are a little rough and have big jumps.

I wonder if anybody will show up at the worlds with one? According to the reports, that track is a rough and might be a good indicator of how it'd work on rougher tracks here in the states.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #66
Tech Master

Yes, the pics are a little disappointing. Whilst it looks like the quality of the components has been improved, there seems to be little change in the actual design of the car.

However, I did notice the new steering setup and the new rear upper arm mounting position. Pity they didn't show any pics of the drivetrain internals.

And yes, looking at the videos of the worlds warm-up, the track is quite bumpy. If the car works there, it is likely to work everywhere!

And what about the new body/wing set up
Old 06-20-2005, 04:50 PM   #67
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Description
TTech Predator X10. 4WD Competition off-road 1/10th

Basic Price

Inc. VAT
Umm...what does "Inc. VAT" means?
Old 06-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to stulec52 Send a message via AIM to stulec52

VAT = Value Added Tax
just the UK version of sales tax
if you were visiting from outside of the UK, you could claim some of that back. Maybe...
Old 06-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I'm suprised that there is virtually no rear upper link adjustability. Most cars these days use very long upper rear links for stability and this car has a short link and no provision for adjustment. The rest of it looks super slick though.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmen34
I wonder if anybody will show up at the worlds with one?
It will be interesting to see if anyone does.

The way I see the timeline so far is this... (please forgive me if you think I am speaking out of turn)

January - TTech announce that a new Predator is nearing release and start asking for deposits.

Several months pass, during which time TTech release no information or pictures, yet still manage to accumulate, by my estimation, 200 fully paid deposits (I don't know the value of these, but even at 10% of the cars retail value that is over 6000 pounds).

This gives them the budget to actually start developing a prototype.

June - Pictures of this prototype appear. It looks good, partly due to the materials used and dramatic photography, and partly because people can tell that some changes have been made over the previous version. But a lot of parts are just the same and could have been made in a short run on the old moulds.

The question is, is this a production prototype, or a development prototype. If it's a development car, we could still be waiting for people to have reliable kits at Christmas. If it's a production car, who knows how soon the cars will be on the track.

I sincerely hope that TTech will meet the buying publics expectations with this car, because my reading of this is that it has only been funded by the deposits, and that if none were forthcoming there would have been no car, despite their claim in January that it was about to be made.

Companies are built and destroyed (quite rightly) by the promises they make and the service they offer.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 06:05 AM   #71
Tech Regular

From the pictures i am really looking forward to getting this car! From the outset Richard has said that the car would be a development of the exisiting platform and not a new design. Some people wanted a ground breaking design, but in terms of off road i think the Predator still achieves that with ease.

The fact that it looks familar perhaps leads people to believe that the same problems will exist on this car as before. You wait until you get the car in your hands, i'm sure there are many subtle diffrences (either in design or material) that will be evident.

Once the car is out (and out performing the rest ) the delay in production will be forgotten about...just need to be patient now

Chris
Chrissy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
It will be interesting to see if anyone does.

The way I see the timeline so far is this... (please forgive me if you think I am speaking out of turn)

January - TTech announce that a new Predator is nearing release and start asking for deposits.

Several months pass, during which time TTech release no information or pictures, yet still manage to accumulate, by my estimation, 200 fully paid deposits (I don't know the value of these, but even at 10% of the cars retail value that is over 6000 pounds).

This gives them the budget to actually start developing a prototype.

June - Pictures of this prototype appear. It looks good, partly due to the materials used and dramatic photography, and partly because people can tell that some changes have been made over the previous version. But a lot of parts are just the same and could have been made in a short run on the old moulds.

The question is, is this a production prototype, or a development prototype. If it's a development car, we could still be waiting for people to have reliable kits at Christmas. If it's a production car, who knows how soon the cars will be on the track.

I sincerely hope that TTech will meet the buying publics expectations with this car, because my reading of this is that it has only been funded by the deposits, and that if none were forthcoming there would have been no car, despite their claim in January that it was about to be made.

Companies are built and destroyed (quite rightly) by the promises they make and the service they offer.
I would just like to clarify that this post is a statment of my PERSONAL OPINION based on the INFORMATION I HAVE SEEN IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #73
Tech Master

As much as I like the look of the car, realy, there aren't any design changes except maybe where alloy was, or an outsourced part, there is now a machined peice in place, not realy a developement more a refinement and all that is irrelevant unless the failure of the car (drivetrain) is cured, and it makes me uneasy when all the 'easy stuff' is shown and the hard bits (crownwheel and pinion) are not..... I will happily change my thougts when I see pics of new gears and a valid report of an X10 at a meeting not crunching gears.

As for bumpy tracks, the car works everywhere anyways, as they have not changed the actual geometry, it should still work.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #74
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
As for bumpy tracks, the car works everywhere anyways, as they have not changed the actual geometry, it should still work.
Actually, to me it looks like they have changed the rear geometry - the inside mounting position for the upper suspension arm on the rear looks like it has been moved up, taking away some of the camber gain thru compression - maybe someone who still has an old Pred can check the pics and confirm..

As for the car working everywhere, well if they haven't changed the above geometry on the rear then the car will still struggle down here in Australia as it's always done

There's a vast difference in handling between driving on a high-grip bumpy track and a low-grip bumpy, rutted track.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Does anyone know where I can get bodies or any other parts for the older Predator?