Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Lunch Box Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tamiya Lunch Box Problem

Hello. I am having a problem with a very old truck of mine. I have a Lunch Box that i just took out after many years and found most of the broken parts and got the truck back in order. When i turned it on, all seemed fine. After about 3 minutes the truck was running on high and would not stop. Now, as soon as i power it on, the motor goes all out and i have to unhook the battery to stop it. I have to totally shut the power down. Any ideas what could be wrong???? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I mover your thread to a more appropriate spot.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cdb926
Hello. I am having a problem with a very old truck of mine. I have a Lunch Box that i just took out after many years and found most of the broken parts and got the truck back in order. When i turned it on, all seemed fine. After about 3 minutes the truck was running on high and would not stop. Now, as soon as i power it on, the motor goes all out and i have to unhook the battery to stop it. I have to totally shut the power down. Any ideas what could be wrong???? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Well as I owned a few tamiya vehicles I will give this a shot. If it has a manual speed controller which is controlled by a servo check your trims and servo travel. Also check for a cooked resistor (the big white ceramic thingy).

Last edited by battlestarq; 04-01-2012 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spell checked
Old 04-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by battlestarq
Well as I owned a few tamiya vehicles I will give this a shot. If it has a manual speed controller which is controlled by a servo check your trims and servo travel. Also check for a cooked resistor (the big white creamic thingy).
Most likely this will boil down to you needing a new speed control. If you don't want to break the bank, you can probably find a good used Novak speed control on ebay that you can still use with your brushed motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVAK-TEMPES...#ht_500wt_1413

You can of course go brushless and get a brushless motor, but assuming the lunchbox is just for some running around fun, keep it fun by not going too pricey on the fixes.