Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Choosing Short Course motor...I'm Confused?? >

Choosing Short Course motor...I'm Confused??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choosing Short Course motor...I'm Confused??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Choosing Short Course motor...I'm Confused??

Ok I am new to short course. I have an SC10RS with the stock Reedy 3300kv 540 motor and the Associated XP SC700 esc. Everything is mostly stock, except I added a swaybar, RPM front bumper, Pro Line Trencher rear tires, and a fan for the ESC. I want to get into racing, but not super seriously. Maybe a few times a year. I know my stock motor is good, but what are some suggestions for an upgraded motor? I would like to maybe use my esc if possible. Like I said this will be casual racing, so I don't wanna drop a ton of coin. I am also going to upgrade the servo too. I have been out of rc for a while, so brushless is new to me. I fly helis so I know heli brushless. I understand KV has to do with the rpm of the motor, but I am just confused as to what I could race. Do I go by KV or by the turns??
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Actually that motor that comes with it is perfect for your first year of racing. There's a couple guys at our track with those trucks and they do vary well.

Depending on your track or tracks you will race at, you should be able to run Stock Corr class, depending on the track rules.

Most motors that you would get or look into would be listed as turns, 13.5, 10.5, 8.5 etc....
There are a few mfger's that list by KV, 3500, 4000, 4600...
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

From my understanding, the 3300kv is similar to a 13.5T correct? The track I would be running at doesn't really have classes for SC. They just had 2wd and 4wd. They told me that they obviously wouldn't let someone with a $2000-$3000 truck run against a bunch of stock trucks. They keep track of points, but they really race for fun.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Without upgrading your ESC along with a new motor the Stock combo is Very Very good. For racing the biggest thing you will need is the right tires for whatever track your running on. Servo is Number one on the upgrade list as far as im concernd, get yourself something around .10-.15 and 120oz-180oz of torque and you are set.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trickedout
Without upgrading your ESC along with a new motor the Stock combo is Very Very good. For racing the biggest thing you will need is the right tires for whatever track your running on. Servo is Number one on the upgrade list as far as im concernd, get yourself something around .10-.15 and 120oz-180oz of torque and you are set.
+1
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Once again this site has saved me money. I will stick with my stock motor/ESC. A new servo is next then. I have a couple sets of tires. I have the trenchers and the JConcepts subculture tires that came with the truck. I will be going to the track with my LHS owner so I will have access to his extensive supply of spare parts while racing. He said he would help me setup my truck for their track. He has been with this track since it was first built so he knows every inch of it.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

Smile Suggestion

Originally Posted by mberta2
Ok I am new to short course. I have an SC10RS with the stock Reedy 3300kv 540 motor and the Associated XP SC700 esc. Everything is mostly stock, except I added a swaybar, RPM front bumper, Pro Line Trencher rear tires, and a fan for the ESC. I want to get into racing, but not super seriously. Maybe a few times a year. I know my stock motor is good, but what are some suggestions for an upgraded motor? I would like to maybe use my esc if possible. Like I said this will be casual racing, so I don't wanna drop a ton of coin. I am also going to upgrade the servo too. I have been out of rc for a while, so brushless is new to me. I fly helis so I know heli brushless. I understand KV has to do with the rpm of the motor, but I am just confused as to what I could race. Do I go by KV or by the turns??
I would stick with the esc / motor combo you have now. Not the best kit, but not bad for a ready-to-run combo. I would suggest going to teamassociated.com and get a set-up that may be suitable for the track conditions you drive on. The website has some good starting point set-ups to allow you to enjoy your driving experience even more. Enjoy!!!

Scottydog471
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Have you turned the throttle profile on the esc up to maximum? It makes a big difference! Also, you have to play with your gearing. The stock gearing is all wrong. Gear it so you're topping out at the very end of the longest straight on the track. This site should help you with a starting point:
http://www.rcgearhead.com/Gearing/Browse

Lastly, if you want to upgrade your motor on the cheap, you can pick up a higher KV Reedey from Tower (all offer easy pay), or any of the higher KV Tacon motors from Hobbypartz. They're plug and play with bullet connectors already soldered. No need to swap ESC's.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

From my understanding, the 3300kv is similar to a 13.5T correct? The track I would be running at doesn't really have classes for SC. They just had 2wd and 4wd. They told me that they obviously wouldn't let someone with a $2000-$3000 truck run against a bunch of stock trucks. They keep track of points, but they really race for fun.
I would out money that a out of the box SC10RS with a good driver and the right tires will hold it's own with those 2k to 3k trucks. lol 2wd vs 2wd
Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

This truck has impressed me. I cant wait to hit the track. I am ordering a new servo, body, overtray, and spring kits. I should be ready to get a good start in racing. I want to make sure I have my esc setup right though. Should I turn off the drag brake? Should i bump up my throttle profile to max? Should I set my reverse to off, 1 sec delay, or 1 sec with safe brake? My brakes lock up pretty hard, but if i turn the EP down, I lose reverse. Is there any way I can lessen my brakes?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

That motor is fine. The only weak spot in that whole truck is the servo isn't very good (neither strong nor fast) and the front tires are too hard.

Other than that, it's a awesome truck out of the box.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

I have a few different sets of tires on order at my LHS. I am also going to be purchasing some other parts as soon as I get paid from one of my side jobs. Here is my list of parts. My LHS distributes for Great Planes which is Tower Hobbies. All I have to do is shop online and call my LHS. He will have the parts for me within 2 days, no shipping.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wto0149p
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

This truck has impressed me. I cant wait to hit the track. I am ordering a new servo, body, overtray, and spring kits. I should be ready to get a good start in racing. I want to make sure I have my esc setup right though. Should I turn off the drag brake? Should i bump up my throttle profile to max? Should I set my reverse to off, 1 sec delay, or 1 sec with safe brake? My brakes lock up pretty hard, but if i turn the EP down, I lose reverse. Is there any way I can lessen my brakes?
I don't run SC but be that combo in my ST. I run
0 drag brake
Max throttle
Reverse with delay and safe brake (for practice, off for race)

Braking without locking up takes practice and control of your finger.... or upgrade your radio and turn down the brake from the radio.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

I swapped out my radio for an Airtronics MX Sport. When I try turning down the brake EP, I lose my reverse. Should I redo my throttle travel setup for the ESC?