Children Repellents

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
its not the fact that the cars don't cost much to fix.

it costs money to play...some people are on a real tight budget especially in this economy. They work their ass off to play. Their hobby budget maybe so tight that a break could make there r/c sit for a couple of weeks.
Then maybe they need a different hobby they can afford. If you are so tight that breaking a basher is that hard on you, the responsible thing would be to find something else to do that is cheaper.

Last edited by Tony Corley; 03-22-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
It's nice that you got money to throw around, but explain to me why I should spend 30 bucks in spare parts and an hour or two of my spare time to fix a truck cause some kid didn't have the common sense to drive decently with someone else's truck?
My brother in law let his nephew drive his Slash 2WD (which is already one of the most sturdy trucks around). The "drive" lasted all of 60 seconds, when he underestimated the speed of the truck (not to mention a lack of understanding of the concept of brakes) and smashed it head-first into a wall. 40$ to fix and half the truck to replace, not to mention a 4 week wait time for the parts.
What part of the world do you live in that it take 4 weeks to get parts for a Slash? Wow!!
A typical Saturday at the track usually costs me $60 to $100 in parts to replace things broken and used up at the end of the day. I consider this to be part of the hobby, and budget accordingly. Sounds like your brother in law should have done 2 things, turned down the EPA and taught the kid how it operated before turning him loose. Thats the whole deal, take a few minutes with the kids and explain to them what you're doing and how it works, and then set it up so that it is not fast enough to hurt anything. Or you guys can just continue to be selfish a$$e$.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
Then maybe they need a different hobby they can afford. If you are so tight that breaking a basher is that hard on you, the responsible thing would be to find something else to do that is cheaper.
Burn.....
Old 03-22-2012, 01:48 PM
jf+
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brsilva View Post
Ha ha... Been there... and that was a 34yr old....
Kids, hell. I handed my buggy over to my 63-yr old dad (didn't tell him I turned it down to about 40%) and he STILL crashed headfirst into a 6-inch curb.

"I didn't see it!"

"You didn't see the only curb on this street.. That's painted red..?"

"I didn't see it!"

"Okay, well, there's a curb there."

Then he hit the same damn curb two more times. I swiped that gun back faster than I'd swipe a blowtorch out of my 2-year old's hands.

Bottom line is: whether it's a kid or your father or your friend, without a little instruction, your baby is getting slammed into something.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I don't have lots of money to chuck about. Like others have said, I have to wait about a month to save the money for new parts. However most of you have a pretty good idea. I'll try letting them have a go but reducing the speed. But aswell I'll only let them have a go if they're obviously responsible enough and let them know what they're handling and if they break it they pay for it or discuss with they're parents about it if they're around.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Suspended

What part of the world do you live in that it take 4 weeks to get parts for a Slash? Wow!!
A typical Saturday at the track usually costs me $60 to $100 in parts to replace things broken and used up at the end of the day. I consider this to be part of the hobby, and budget accordingly. Sounds like your brother in law should have done 2 things, turned down the EPA and taught the kid how it operated before turning him loose. Thats the whole deal, take a few minutes with the kids and explain to them what you're doing and how it works, and then set it up so that it is not fast enough to hurt anything. Or you guys can just continue to be selfish a$$e$.
What are you doing at the track where you need to spend $60-$100? If your 10 y/o son can put 2 laps on people, he shouldn't be breaking stuff. That or the competition isn't that stiff where you race. Where do you race?

As for the original poster. Are you from Australlia?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SoulHunter36 View Post
Now im pretty sure im not the only one here who gets children coming up to them and asking for a go on the rc car when you're at a park. I don't mean to be horrible to them when I say no but I just know they will be stupid with them and crash them since they are too young and won't be able to handle there sheer awesomeness but when I say no up where I am then they will literally try everything they can to break it . When I tell them to stop they just say let me have a go then. I would try and use them somwhere else but there isn't really anywhere I can go within walking distance and my back gardens too small to run them. Any tips to get rid of them. Any kinds of murder is out of the question, I've tried it before and apparently the government set a law against this (It's a joke not reality).
I just tell then "NO" and give them a nasty look. they try again... "its my toy get your own, leave me alone" they try again... I look around to find their parents and scream at them to get their kids. If all that doesn't work, run into their ankles. If their parents give you S**t say you told them so, they need to control their kids.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had a friend that was so high, he swore he saw a TROLL under the bridge
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by h8thatadmin View Post
What are you doing at the track where you need to spend $60-$100? If your 10 y/o son can put 2 laps on people, he shouldn't be breaking stuff. That or the competition isn't that stiff where you race. Where do you race?

1.I said he could probaby put two laps on most of the people on this thread.
2. A set of tires, half a gallon of fuel, clutch bearings, clutch bells, glow plugs and small parts that I replace after every race eats up $60 to $100 before you break anything.
3. We race at THE BEST NEW TRACK in the USA. The RC Pit. What other track in the country has 3 $10,000 purse races this year? So yeah, I would tend to bet the competition is as stiff as any track around.
4. I have $1000 that says he will beat you in a 5 minute qualifier, and if he doesn't, I have $2000 that says I will beat you in the fight after the race. I love to fight as much as I love to race. Being from the south, and years of stock car racing, it all goes hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kids are getting more rude (humanity ) but can't ignore them because they like a toy car that goes fast. Remember that these things are toys, and sharing is caring
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Never had a kid ask for my car but I had friends over and I asked them to prove their skill on VRC first. Guess what? In the first five seconds, they went full throttle into a wall. At that very moment, I realized that my slash 4x4 would NOT be under their control.

I did give it to another friend on NiMH and training mode. My dad is kinda good but doesn't go too fast and because I act like a prick every time he goes above half throttle( I need to chill out). I trusted my mom enough to give it to her on full power but with an NiMH. My brother drives pretty well so he gets to drive it like I do. Most of the guys at track are good enough for me to trust my car to them. But now that I've got ridiculous power in it, I might have to use the end point method before handing it over to someone.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by h8thatadmin View Post

I'm from england
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Initiate

1.I said he could probaby put two laps on most of the people on this thread.
2. A set of tires, half a gallon of fuel, clutch bearings, clutch bells, glow plugs and small parts that I replace after every race eats up $60 to $100 before you break anything.
3. We race at THE BEST NEW TRACK in the USA. The RC Pit. What other track in the country has 3 $10,000 purse races this year? So yeah, I would tend to bet the competition is as stiff as any track around.
4. I have $1000 that says he will beat you in a 5 minute qualifier, and if he doesn't, I have $2000 that says I will beat you in the fight after the race. I love to fight as much as I love to race. Being from the south, and years of stock car racing, it all goes hand in hand as far as I'm concerned.
I bet he could beat us but do you really need to show it off that much!?! I just usually race for the fun of it. I mean winning is nice but in the end it's all a bit of fun with friends and you easily make new friends at the track because you all share the same hobby.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by SoulHunter36 View Post
I bet he could beat us but do you really need to show it off that much!?! I just usually race for the fun of it. I mean winning is nice but in the end it's all a bit of fun with friends and you easily make new friends at the track because you all share the same hobby.
I agree it's about making friends, thats why I didn't understand the purpose of this thread to begin with. Why run kids off? I wasn't showing it off, I was making a point that children can drive these cars as well as anyone, you just have to take a little time with them to show them how. Then old numbnutz adminhater got involved, and well, I do like to fight as much as race, so usually I can win at least one of them.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

A typical Saturday at the track usually costs me $60 to $100 in parts to replace things broken and used up at the end of the day.
Germany. If I order within the country, parts cost twice to triple the price from the US. A new chassis ends up costing 35 USD with shipping alone (closest shop that carries Traxxas is 1.5h away), a set of a-arms another 16$, etc.

If you manage to break stuff worth 60+ bucks on a track while not trying to test the sturdiness of the walls with your truck, you should consider your driving style, though.

Last edited by Arakon; 03-23-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service