R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean B. View Post
How about POS. That term seems more fitting.
How Savox and Spectrum continue to gain popularity is beyond me. People are willing to buy junk, just to save themselves 20 or 30 dollars on some of the most important pieces of equipment in their cars? Preposterous.

They're not bad servos and they work fine as long as you're not using certian combinations of electronics.

They work perfect in 1/8th nitro/electric.

I just don't want to change recievers or electronics. It will cost me more money to do that than to buy a couple different servos.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #32

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've been running Savox servos for quite a while with no issues. I've got a 1257 and a 1258 both hooked to MMP's, one with an Airtronics radio and the other (I'm so embarassed...) with a Traxxas radio. Adjusting the steering endpoints so the servo wasn't overthrowing by a country mile helped eliminate the brown outs.
bds81175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #33
Tech Rookie

I had the same problem with my SCTE and put a cap on, But that did'nt work so i spent the money and got a external BEC. Problem solved.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean B. View Post
How about POS. That term seems more fitting.
How Savox and Spectrum continue to gain popularity is beyond me. People are willing to buy junk, just to save themselves 20 or 30 dollars on some of the most important pieces of equipment in their cars? Preposterous.
I wouldn't say that is true. As I said before, I have seen the exact same problem with Futaba receivers and HiTech servos. It all comes down to the quality of the BEC. If we were all running receiver packs, we never would have discovered the problem. With all the different equipment that exists there is bound to be combinations that don't work perfectly.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaniard View Post
I had the same problem with my SCTE and put a cap on, But that did'nt work so i spent the money and got a external BEC. Problem solved.
What esc do you have?

I'm running an RX8/Pro4 and Savox 1256 and my electronics will shut off.

I addded the glitch buster but problem is still there.

What external BEC did you use? How do you wire them in?
JEFFs SC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

The castle BECs work well, they have instructions included about how to wire them up.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rnelias Send a message via Skype™ to rnelias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Efficiency is the measure of mechanical power out divided by electrical power in. It has nothing to do with how the power is drawn. That would be more of a power quality or EMI issue.

It isn't just the Savox servos that cause this problem. I have seen most of the other companies servos do the same thing (HiTech, Spektrum, etc). They are really strong servos and depending on your ESC and receiver, you may have 0 problems with them. In my case, I had to use caps with my MMP ESC and Futaba receiver, but not with my Tekin RX8 ESC. The bec on the Tekin is stronger and has more output capacitance than the MMP. I can run weaker servos on just about any ESC without trouble (Futaba 3305).

Dave H, I like the Jrx-Pro you have in that picture. I have one that looks just like it, pink steering parts and all, lol!
Well, bad luck i have

Exactly the same problem here. Savox 1258 and Tekin RX8. I thoughtbthe problem was my receiver, changed it and the problem persisted. I'll try the cap solution before attaching it to a external bec...
rnelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #38
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBOB View Post
I'd say get a BEC and forget about it. (set it and forget it)
I thought that too until this past Sat. when my BEC went bad..........talk about a be-och trying to find the problem! It was the last thing I checked after about 2 hours of fiddling with things. The motor started cogging and would not rev up, I first replaced the motor then the speedo well there was only 1 thing left to try. It was a Castle 10 amp bec that was bad and it was only about 4 months old.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotmachine View Post
I thought that too until this past Sat. when my BEC went bad..........talk about a be-och trying to find the problem! It was the last thing I checked after about 2 hours of fiddling with things. The motor started cogging and would not rev up, I first replaced the motor then the speedo well there was only 1 thing left to try. It was a Castle 10 amp bec that was bad and it was only about 4 months old.
Sounds like your Castle BEC failed in a nice fashion. Mine put 16V into the receiver.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #40
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turbo4age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds81175 View Post
I've been running Savox servos for quite a while with no issues. I've got a 1257 and a 1258 both hooked to MMP's, one with an Airtronics radio and the other (I'm so embarassed...) with a Traxxas radio. Adjusting the steering endpoints so the servo wasn't overthrowing by a country mile helped eliminate the brown outs.
this is also my experience.