Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10th 2WD Buggy Thread >

1/10th 2WD Buggy Thread

1/10th 2WD Buggy Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10th Scale 2WD Buggy Thread

So I tried short course trucks and it wasn't for me. I sold both of my trucks and got a 1/8th Associated 8.2e buggy. Really like the way a buggy handles and jumps. But my local indoor track is too small for the big buggy, so I want a 1/10th. I'm looking at the Kyosho, Associated 4.1 World kit, Losi 22, and the Durango.

After holding them and inspecting up close and personal, I noticed that the 1/10th buggies are of a higher quality than my short course 2wd truck. Not as plasticky. Looks like a lot of design and attention went into these buggies vs the 2wd truck. I really like that. Personally I think they are more "hobby quality" than the 2wd trucks.

Anyway...............

So I like the aluminum frame in the Losi and the Durango, and hmmmmm, not too impressed with the plastic Associated. I do like the carbon composite chasis of the Kyosho.

I also don't like the "sliding mechanism" in the steering of the Losi 22. Lots of slop.

So, in a nutshell, which of these stand out in your opinion?

Do any of them hold up better - more durable - in the real world?

Do any of them stand out due to the fact that they break easy if you look at them funny?

Thanks for your help in my search!

Last edited by Rockohaulic; 03-26-2012 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Add word "Scale" in title.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

which is run most at your local track? which car is easiest for you to get parts for? there's your answer. They are all equally capable.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Rookie

I've seen the Associated, Losi, and Durango at the track. The track owner owns and likes Kyosho 2WD Short Course trucks, so I'm sure it will be easy to get Kyosho parts.

From my RC helicopter experience, I expect to use online shops a lot, so not sure if parts availability will be an issue.

Hmmm, not sure I believe that they all run about the same. I'm sure each one has specific strengths and weaknesses.

For example, this track has lots of jumps and tight turns. Which of these buggies do you guys think shines on a high-traction, indoor track like that?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post
I've seen the Associated, Losi, and Durango at the track. The track owner owns and likes Kyosho 2WD Short Course trucks, so I'm sure it will be easy to get Kyosho parts.

From my RC helicopter experience, I expect to use online shops a lot, so not sure if parts availability will be an issue.

Hmmm, not sure I believe that they all run about the same. I'm sure each one has specific strengths and weaknesses.

For example, this track has lots of jumps and tight turns. Which of these buggies do you guys think shines on a high-traction, indoor track like that?
TLR 22!
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

personal opinions are 22 excells on higher bite tracks. It can do well on low bite rough tracks, but thats not its strong point.

B4.1 WE does very well on the rough stuff and be tuned to do very well on the high bite stuff too.

The K car resembles the AE car from what I have seen.

Durango is the new kid on the block. Looks solid, looks fast. Not sure about durablility over time or parts because like I said, they are newwer.

All 4 are great kits and you really can't go wrong..

K cars have always been very nice but very pricey so keep that in mind too.

Best thing you could do is hang out at the track a couple times and watch and form your own opinions. Maybe see if you can take a few laps with a couple different cars.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

oh and slop wins races
Old 03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Oh this is the great debate. If one car had a particular advantage on the track you were running it would sweep the podium every event. However the mix of Losi, Associated, and Durango should tell you all cars can be made to go fast at your track with proper setup. It comes down to the driver and their knowledge on creating a setup that works well for them.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

What happened to Shumachers cougar sv2.

That performs very well on our track.
Followed by losi
Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by janga View Post
What happened to Shumachers cougar sv2.

That performs very well on our track.
Followed by losi
I have never seen Shumacher parts in any hobby shop.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D-Rek07 View Post
I have never seen Shumacher parts in any hobby shop.
There are a few in the southern california region which carry them, like speedtechrc and of course amain in chico does.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have been racing the 22 for a few months now and really like it. It is very tunable and handles very well. With that being said it does take some work to get to that point. The cars weak point for me is out of corner grip. I have solved this with weight and battery placement. The car is very solid did break a rear arm but it was from a car hitting me on the strait away at full speed. If you like to tune than the 22 might be for you.

Brian
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

I have the b4.1 we and tlr22
The losi is more durable, jumps better a smoother buggy to drive
The negatives for the 22 for me is just getting rear traction out of corners is hit or miss sometimes. The slop in the steering rack doesnt bother me

The b4.1we imo handles better and has better exit rear traction steering is awesome.
On bigger tracks I tend to prefer my losi on medium to small I like the ae
Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys - keep them comming......................
Old 03-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rosko View Post
I have the b4.1 we and tlr22
The losi is more durable, jumps better a smoother buggy to drive
The negatives for the 22 for me is just getting rear traction out of corners is hit or miss sometimes. The slop in the steering rack doesnt bother me

The b4.1we imo handles better and has better exit rear traction steering is awesome.
On bigger tracks I tend to prefer my losi on medium to small I like the ae
+1
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have both the tlr 22 and ae ft b4.1 and i always use my tlr 22 outdoors on the 8th scale tracks with an 8.5 but i also drive it on the indoor carpet track as well,keeping the steering rack Clean is mandatory as it jams up if you dont,And my b4.1 is only my indoor car as it is not nearly as forgiving outdoors as the 22 is,but i feel i can be faster indoors on the carpet because the b4.1 can be pushed harder than my tlr 22 indoors so far.My b4.1 has the rcrd +8 aluminum chassis though so it may drive different from the worlds kit.The b4.1 has more exit speed but tends to be a little softer due to the smaller shocks,I personally think my b4.1 will rock my 22 with some bigbores on it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.