Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Traxxas Rustler XL-5 Battery upgrade >

Traxxas Rustler XL-5 Battery upgrade

Traxxas Rustler XL-5 Battery upgrade

Old 03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas Rustler XL-5 Battery upgrade

Hi Guys,

New to the RC world and recently purchased a Traxxas Rustler (brushed) XL-5. Unit came with the factory "Traxxas 8.4v 3000mah" battery. I've only used the car 5-6 times and already want to go faster. From the reading i've been doing LiPo are the way to go. Not understanding the RC batteries, I read that mah refers to the longevity of the charge. Ie. More mah, more run time. What about the voltage though? Do I need to run 8.4v or can I run 7.4v (which is common for LiPos?). I read elsewhere that the brushed motor (Titan 550 T12) should not run more than a 2s (2 cell lipo).

3 Queries
A. What is the baddest LiPo battery I could run in my Rustler?
Ie. Turnigy 6000mAh 2S2P 7.4v 25C hardcase pack - found on "HobbyKing" website. Biggest mah 2s lipo I could find.

B. What is the best bang for buck battery that users recommend?

C. What sort of speed increase if any should I expect with a LiPo?

Thanks in Advance,

Matt

RC Car : Traxxas Rustler XL-5.
Model : 3705
Motor : Titan 550 T12 (Factory)
Battery : Traxxas 8.4v 3000mah (Factory)
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A 2s (7.4V) LiPo will give you similar results to your 8.4V NiMH pack that you currently have. Only real difference will be a more consistent power and it should last a little longer each run.

I'd aim for a LiPo with a capacity of 4000mAH+ (ideally 4500+) with a constant discharge rating of 20c+ (ideally 25C+). That HobbyKing battery should be fine.

I'd suggest you upgrade to brushless though. There probably won't be enough of a power increase to satisfy you.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RatsacK
I'd suggest you upgrade to brushless though. There probably won't be enough of a power increase to satisfy you.
Ditto on that one.... The 12t Titan is a joke in comparison to any BL system out there.... Check out www.hobbypartz.com if your on a budget...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Tech Regular

More run time but not more power. Longer run times will overheat your 12t so watch your motor temp. If you go lipo, you should also go brushless. Good luck..
Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

3 Answers

As far as baddest battery you could run with your current set up I wouldn't reccomend any higher than 2s or 7.4v. If you upgrade to brushless you pretty much limited to 6s or 22.2v. depending on ESC and motor combo. Honestly though i don't think the poor Rustler would be able to handle much more than 3S or 11.1V without extensive mods.

Tha't really all a matter of opinon. I have run may brands of battery but the best battery I have come across has to be from High Velocity Racing, their 6000mah 60C. Stop before someone say " blah blah because your sponsored." That may be true but just go to the thread read it.I don't know about other sites but if you don't like the battery you can return it for a full refund including shipping.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...rds-lipos.html

As stated above not a huge increase in speed but you will notice a good increase in Punch/ Torque. Meaning you'll more than likely flip. When you go brushless there are many choices. I personally like Castle Creations, The Sidewinder and the Mamba Max Pro are good ESC's. Affordable, Customer Service ( if you need it) is excellent, Extremely programmable and easy to set up.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dhthmn114
Ditto on that one.... The 12t Titan is a joke in comparison to any BL system out there.... Check out (url not allowed by novice member) if your on a budget...
Thanks for the link, always keen to know what the online discount options are.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by brsilva
3 Answers

As far as baddest battery you could run with your current set up I wouldn't reccomend any higher than 2s or 7.4v. If you upgrade to brushless you pretty much limited to 6s or 22.2v. depending on ESC and motor combo. Honestly though i don't think the poor Rustler would be able to handle much more than 3S or 11.1V without extensive mods.

Tha't really all a matter of opinon. I have run may brands of battery but the best battery I have come across has to be from High Velocity Racing, their 6000mah 60C. Stop before someone say " blah blah because your sponsored." That may be true but just go to the thread read it.I don't know about other sites but if you don't like the battery you can return it for a full refund including shipping.

As stated above not a huge increase in speed but you will notice a good increase in Punch/ Torque. Meaning you'll more than likely flip. When you go brushless there are many choices. I personally like Castle Creations, The Sidewinder and the Mamba Max Pro are good ESC's. Affordable, Customer Service ( if you need it) is excellent, Extremely programmable and easy to set up.
Wow! Big response thanks!
So 2S lipo is the way to go on my existing motor.
I tried going to the "highvelocityracing" website but it's just a placeholder site. (No live content). googled buy high velocity racing batteries, no usable results. Where do I buy these guys from? And will they ship to Australia?

- Edit - Read the thread for the batteries. Can be purchased via email -
Thanks again.

Last edited by aussieinkguy; 03-10-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Found further information.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dhthmn114
DTX Evader EXT Brushless --- DTX Evader EXT2 Brushless
TRX Mini E-Revo (fastrthanurs) --- TRX 3906 E-Maxx *MONEY-PIT*
TRX Amsoil Edition Slash 2wd Brushless --- TRX 1/10 Summit.
That's quite a collection of Traxxas cars! Do they all run stock Motors / ESCs? or have you modded them? Which one's your favourite?

First got keen on getting a car after going to a school holiday program where the guy was letting kids run riot with Traxxas Slash brushless units.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RatsacK
A 2s (7.4V) LiPo will give you similar results to your 8.4V NiMH pack that you currently have. Only real difference will be a more consistent power and it should last a little longer each run.

I'd aim for a LiPo with a capacity of 4000mAH+ (ideally 4500+) with a constant discharge rating of 20c+ (ideally 25C+). That HobbyKing battery should be fine.

Hi Ratsack,

3rd reply to your post. Apologies if they all suddenly appear and the thread looks like mud! (Some sort of moderator vetting occurring on my posts being a new user).

Thanks for the prompt response. As noted in another response, I'll do the Lipo first, then look at the Brushless as the brushless is going to be best off on the Lipo anyway. Need to factor the cost of a decent charger for the Lipo as I only have the stock NiMH charger (trickle) that came in the box. Any recommendations welcome.

Of the cars your running, which one is your favourite (and why). Thanks again. Aussie.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My favourite is probably my 2WD Slash (not much is stock on it anymore).

For a cheap, reliable charger you can't look past the iMAX B6. They're around $20 on Ebay and an extra $5 for a power pack - so you can run it from the wall instead of off a 12V DC supply like a car battery. They charge all types batteries. I've got 2 plus another for my brother and never had an issue with any of them (heaps of mates also use them).