SCTE Combo

Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default SCTE Combo

I'll try to keep it short. I've recently purchased an SCTE roller along with a few friends. Buddies are running the Pro4/MMP & 1410/MMP. We've bashed more than tracked but have had a blast at the track! I'm looking for a combo different than either of theirs just to be....different. I'm sticking with 2s / 50-60c / 6-6600mah bats but want to be able to drop a 3s from time to time for bashing and keep the temps where I don't have to check it every 4 laps.

So I'm looking at the 4-4600kv SC411, but am struggling with an ESC choice to keep it budget, battery, and temp minded. I want to stay competitive, if not on top of my pals, with the setup. I've heard the HW80, 120a, 150a and pro versions if not MMP/RX8. A used MMP may be affordable if it comes to a price that's in line with the HW's etc. I'm not familiar enough with the compatibility of parts yet to know what I can get that will be hassle free. TIA!
Tango-Bravo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (3)
 
chucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hell
Posts: 1,279
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I haven't tried it yet but hobby king has a 180 amp speed control. if your on a budget. but if you want to be up on your buds get the RX8 and 4600 kv motor and blow your buds away using the hot wire. you will be lighter faster under control and if you want to race your good to go.. this thing on a 2 cell is a monster fast with a 6000 or bigger 50C or higher like 70 C and this combo will last...good luck in your travels..
chucko is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM
  #3  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,287
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

We just tried that HK 180A esc last week at the track just for sh$%s n giggles to see how it would do...surprisingly it held up fine and worked flawlessly.....just very big in size but it does fit. That thing will never overheat w that HUGE fan on it lol
nitro0619 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 AM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,168
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tango-Bravo View Post
I'll try to keep it short. I've recently purchased an SCTE roller along with a few friends. Buddies are running the Pro4/MMP & 1410/MMP. We've bashed more than tracked but have had a blast at the track! I'm looking for a combo different than either of theirs just to be....different. I'm sticking with 2s / 50-60c / 6-6600mah bats but want to be able to drop a 3s from time to time for bashing and keep the temps where I don't have to check it every 4 laps.

So I'm looking at the 4-4600kv SC411, but am struggling with an ESC choice to keep it budget, battery, and temp minded. I want to stay competitive, if not on top of my pals, with the setup. I've heard the HW80, 120a, 150a and pro versions if not MMP/RX8. A used MMP may be affordable if it comes to a price that's in line with the HW's etc. I'm not familiar enough with the compatibility of parts yet to know what I can get that will be hassle free. TIA!
A 4600kv motor on 3s will for sure give you heat issues.. what you may want to do is get a 4000kv gear it for the track on 2s then drop in the 3s for bashing. This way you maybe able to get away with running both with out chaning the pinion every time you switch voltages.
8ight-e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
  #5  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 80
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

A buddy of mine just got this new Copperhead system from Viper for like $150 he got a 4500kv but he said they sell a 5100 or something like that. But it's for 2s - and really powerful.
neu2this is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:58 PM
  #6  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Thanks for the replies thus far! I just made a new thread thinking this one got lost. I didn't catch the fact that it wouldn't post instantly. So I'll try to catch the post to avoid a double.
Tango-Bravo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 PM
  #7  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
A 4600kv motor on 3s will for sure give you heat issues.. what you may want to do is get a 4000kv gear it for the track on 2s then drop in the 3s for bashing. This way you maybe able to get away with running both with out chaning the pinion every time you switch voltages.
If I simply stuck to 2s, should I look to the 4600?
Tango-Bravo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:06 PM
  #8  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,484
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tango-Bravo View Post
If I simply stuck to 2s, should I look to the 4600?


YES!!! awesome little motor.
Integra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 PM
  #9  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (103)
 
thecman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,889
Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tango-Bravo View Post
If I simply stuck to 2s, should I look to the 4600?
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
YES!!! awesome little motor.
+1 on that, maybe too awesome for some people! I went with the 4000 and am very happy!
thecman26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:54 PM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,168
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Tango-Bravo View Post
If I simply stuck to 2s, should I look to the 4600?
yes, especially for bashing. If you need to dial it down a little for the occasional race just reduce pinion or use your tx, the 4600 is going to be the best for some top speed play for sure. Though if you have a smaller race track you may want to consider the 4000 as it will give you more gearing options, but for one motor to do it all the 4600 is prolly your best bet.
8ight-e is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 PM
  #11  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 16
Default

What's a good "jumping off point" for gearing on small indoor and again for outdoor bashing with the 4600?
Tango-Bravo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
  #12  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 602
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

13 or 14.
Honu is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service