Wiki Posts
Search

beginner brushless setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default beginner brushless setup

hey guys, my little brother just got a slash 2wd and I am looking at getting him a brushless setup for his birthday for it. What would be a reliable and affordable(under $100 if possible) setup for a beginner. He will be turning 15 and will be running it on nimh batteries no lipo for now. Was looking at the hobby wing stuff, they seem to be becoming more popular and seem to be pretty cheap. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

im looking at the hobby wing pn 07E-EZRUN-Combo-B5..
Old 03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

The Traxxas Velineon system is a great starter system! It is a beast! It also has training mode so you can turn it down to 50% to help kids learn how to drive.

I found a new one on ebay for $139 and free shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item35ba2ab8fb
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does he have good batteries? 'Cause it's no good without batteries, really...

Start with a Castle 1410 w/3mm shaft off ebay; $70 shipped. Add as much used or Hobbywing ESC as you can afford. Probably the 35A would run it OK, but if he has batteries you'll want a little more.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Arrow

Originally Posted by Blackpony
im looking at the hobby wing pn 07E-EZRUN-Combo-B5..
I have a lot of experience with HW BL Combos and that one in particular. Very good performance for the money, durable, easy and convenient to program with the included program card for <$100 with free shipping. And yes it will do just fine in the 4x2 Slash when properly geared.

I also use Castle, Traxxas, and Tacon BL Combos, ESC's and motors, but for the money and for a beginner's use I believe it would be very hard to beat the above combo.

Just to be sure, here's the link to the product I'm referring to-
http://www.hobbypartz.com/car.html
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thecman26
The Traxxas Velineon system is a great starter system! It is a beast! It also has training mode so you can turn it down to 50% to help kids learn how to drive.

I found a new one on ebay for $139 and free shipping!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item35ba2ab8fb
honestly i would rather stay away from the traxxas motors. I have burnt up 3 of them in the past 2 months with only 2s lipo in my 4x4 slash.

Originally Posted by porterdog
Does he have good batteries? 'Cause it's no good without batteries, really...

Start with a Castle 1410 w/3mm shaft off ebay; $70 shipped. Add as much used or Hobbywing ESC as you can afford. Probably the 35A would run it OK, but if he has batteries you'll want a little more.
Yes he has good almost new batteries to run.

Originally Posted by don74
I have a lot of experience with HW BL Combos and that one in particular. Very good performance for the money, durable, easy and convenient to program with the included program card for <$100 with free shipping. And yes it will do just fine in the 4x2 Slash when properly geared.

I also use Castle, Traxxas, and Tacon BL Combos, ESC's and motors, but for the money and for a beginner's use I believe it would be very hard to beat the above combo.

Just to be sure, here's the link to the product I'm referring to-
http://www.hobbypartz.com/car.html
Yes that is the one I am referring to. I personally have ran a castle sct sidewinder with bad results on the speed controller but the motor was a beast. Currently I have a slash 4x4 with a mamba pro esc and tekin pro 4 4000k motor. Loving it!! Just looking for ideas to get my brother going a little better. Thanks for the info! I believe I will go with that setup.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Blackpony
honestly i would rather stay away from the traxxas motors. I have burnt up 3 of them in the past 2 months with only 2s lipo in my 4x4 slash.

Really? That sucks! A local guy ran one in his SCTE for quite a while and it was crazy fast and ran pretty cool (considering it was in a 7 pount truck)... He did put a fan on it though (the motor).
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thecman26
Really? That sucks! A local guy ran one in his SCTE for quite a while and it was crazy fast and ran pretty cool (considering it was in a 7 pount truck)... He did put a fan on it though (the motor).
yeah one of the guys that i bash with has a losi scte that he just got and put his traxxas setup in for now and has great luck with it. Another guy had the same problem Ive had, he burnt up 1 motor and his esc. I put a fan on the esc and a heat sink on the motor, temps never got above 110 ish. i dono Traxxas makes a great product...