R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #61
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

its got the handling of the XX-4 with the drivetrain of the XXX-4. so you if you have driven a XX-4 and didn't like the three belts, now you have the advantage of a single belt design. From what I understand, the XX-4 is a better handler than the XXX-4.

cartmen34: Thats a shame. Do you have any contact info for those guys? Maybe draw up a flyer about 4wd and post at the shop in an area everyone can see and have the owner mention that to guys so they can contact you, workout something, etc.

I am not sure how many guys have 4wd around here, but I am hoping to gain some interest in the class so when we have the first meeting I am going to bring it up.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:12 PM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I could try and get those names and numbers from the race director, but I'll speak with him first and see what he'd be willing to do.

To speak to the X-5, I think that, while it holds many advantages, namely the great handling of the xx-4 and the single driveline of the xxx-4, I also think it has a disadvantage. When the driveline of the xxx-4 was brought over, it also brought with it the 'need' for a one-way. But because of the way the front end of the xx-4 is designed, you have to custom fit the one-way into the front end of the X-5/xx-4. This just makes for a little more work to get the car really dialed for most tracks out there IMHO.

It may not be a huge disadvantage, or even a disadvantage at all, but I see it as one. It means the X-5 can/might suffer from the same problems as the xxx-4, which is munching one-way bearings, where the xx-4 and even the BJ4 will never have that problem as they have center one-ways installed out of the box. (the clicker in the xx-4 acts very much like a one-way bearing)
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:05 AM   #63
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

I've got to say I love 4wd; they're just so much fun to drive! My experience at various tracks both at home and Memphis, TN, where I attend school has been that I'm the only 4wd car there. Occasionally there will be another car there; however having enough to run a full race is rare. What I'm usually able to do, though, is convince the track director to let me run in Modified Truck. Not only is mod truck usually a "just for fun" class, but since my 4wd car is smaller than the trucks I'm not accused of running the other cars over. If you want to run your 4wheeler and there's no class, try talking to the race director. It has been my experience that once people see how fast the car is, a few of them will start inquiring how they can get one.

Cartmen - Try running your X - 5 with a diff up front; you might be suprised at the steering the car has. I have also gotten fed up with blowing out one-way bearings, and so went back to the diff up front. I've found that moving your front shocks out on the tower one hole can help give the steer-in that the oneway provides. Almost every clubrace I run with my X - 5 I use a front diff and can run very competitively.
Paul_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #64
Tech Legend

isn't there a heavy duty oneway available? I remember something about some company that made one that doesn't break.

I usually if there isn't a 4wd buggy class run with the 2wd buggies and I configure my vehicle to use the same or slower powerplant to be fair.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:27 AM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
isn't there a heavy duty oneway available? I remember something about some company that made one that doesn't break.

I usually if there isn't a 4wd buggy class run with the 2wd buggies and I configure my vehicle to use the same or slower powerplant to be fair.
Yes, I think I know the one you are referring to. SkipGear mentiones on his website that they are working with the guy who thought the 'one-diff' up. It's mentioned on the home page in the news section, but they've not posted anything more on the subject, and the part isn't on their products page.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Sinclair

Cartmen - Try running your X - 5 with a diff up front; ...
Have you found the X-5 reacts in a similar manner as the xxx-4? I found my xxx-4 difficult/impossible to drive consistently with a front diff. The car was jerky on power, and fairly unpredictable under braking and cornering. I installed an Apex one-way and the majority of the ill handling disappeared. Have you found the -5 reacts better to a front diff than the xxx-4? (And thanks for the tip BTW, I will try the front diff in my X-5 at next weeks races.)
Old 02-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

The "heavy duty" one way unit that I know of is the Apex one-way, made by a company in England, if I'm not mistaking. There's a thread about it on 4wdrc forums. I think people have been installing them in their X - 5's; pictures here

Further, there's another unit out there called a one-way diff. This unit combines a diff and a one-way - it's built like a normal diff on the inside but has special outdrives that fit one-way bearings in. The tension in the diff slows down the one-way action, so you get a feel kind of like the one-way clicker did in the XX4. I have had the pleasure of running one of these units in the front of my X - 5 (at the CRCRC midwinters) and the unit works beautifully. (note: I ran losi one-ways up front until about November of last year, when I switched to a diff for the reasons stated above. I ran a diff until the midwinter race, when I was able to run this combo unit). Unfortunately, the creator of the unit was not able to find a way to produce them economically, but someone else might be able to.

My experience has been that the XX4 and X - 5 have about the same amount of steering, which is inheriently more steering than my XXX4 had. If your X - 5 is lacking steering compared to your XX4, check the number or washers under the front outer camberlink. Because of the different body design (love it or hate it) the X - 5 has more rear downforce, so its recomend you add a washer or two up front from your XX4 setup to regain that steering. With a diff up front I really like the car's braking - smooth and predictable - and the steering is there but a little twitchy.
Paul_Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #67
Tech Fanatic

speaking of the Apex one-way... (off the 4wdrc.com board)

http://www.eraprise.com/4wdrcbb/viewtopic.php?t=235

I think I may have gotten one of the last from Apex. I ordered mine a few weeks ago and a few days after that people started posting on boards, asking why they couldn't find it on the Apex site anymore!

Anyway, I got mine, and it rocks. According to the thread above, someone else is going to start selling them again. very cool!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:35 PM   #68
Tech Fanatic

Hey Cain,

Check out the pic i just saw on another members site....

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/york1...york2wd08.html
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #69
Tech Legend

Scrubb: Got that pic on my computer awhile ago, very nice. the SB Pro basically looks like that. Drop me an email I got something to run by you.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 AM   #70
Tech Elite

We at X Factory are investigating whether we can manufacture the 1-Way Diff. We're fairly certain we can do it, the question will be price.

This unit uses different 1-way bearings from the Losi unit. They appear more robust, which is good.

There are three of the Rich Schwartz 1-Way Diffs in existance. Mike Truhe has one, which he has raced successfully and likes a lot. Like Paul, Mike says it's better than either the 1-way or the diff by itself. But something in Mike's unit is broken, I think one of the axles but I don't know for sure, and he runs it no more.

Paul has the second unit and his is running fine. We got it new and had some problems with it, but Rich fixed it at the CRCRC Mid-Winter and it has run at least 20 battery packs since with no problems.

I picked up the third one over the weekend and just finished tearing it down this morning. I've got some drawings for it, and am leaving for the machine shop this afternoon to begin learning what it will take to make them.

After fighting with this for about three years, we have concluded that the problem with the Losi 1-way is simply that the bearings aren't strong enough for off-road. The on-road guys seem to have few problems with them, but they run on smooth tracks and don't jump. We believe that the shocks produced by rough tracks and jumping are simply too much for the very complicated little 1-way bearings.

Experienced drivers who stay on the line and land jumps smoothly have few problems with the Losi 1-ways. Novices, who hit things more and are more often in the rough stuff tend to tear them up pretty quickly. It doesn't seem to matter much how they are installed; better drivers = longer life.

If we manufacture the 1-Way Diff, we will use the more robust 1-way bearings which should help on longetivity. We know the combination of 1-way and diff makes the car easier to drive, as well as faster, thus should mean fewer crashes = longer life. We'll see...
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #71
Tech Legend

reinferno posted this, some shots of a new ( possibly ) MRC / Academy SB V2 :

http://www.rc-modellbausport.de/port....jpg&AtchNum=0
Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 AM   #72
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Another new 4wd?

This was posted at the rcracechat forums. Someone took it off a German website, it's the new Scumacher Cat - dubbed Cat4K.

I know the picture is small but if you have a close look it seems Schumacher have finally ditched their angled transmission and gone with a setup extremely similar to the Yokomo YZ10/MX4 drivetrain. Notice also the small rear shocks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1432984349.jpg (17.8 KB, 170 views)
FIR#2 - "You can't buy this much talent"
Durango Dex410 - Schumacher Cougar SV - Top Photon
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:55 AM   #73
Tech Legend

This is looking good for 4wd. Get some more new options out there is a start.

I posted up some pics that re-inferno found on another board for the new SB V2, more detailed, etc.

SB V1 owners ( Sport and Pro ) should see some new parts soon, namely the Velox axles and the new diff hubs which will work on the vehicles from what I understand.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:22 AM   #74
Tech Master

heres a couple of pics from the shumacher site of the cat 4k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schumacher cat 4k.jpg (81.0 KB, 136 views)
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 05:24 AM   #75
Tech Master

rear end of cat 4k
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schumacher cat 4k rear.jpg (58.7 KB, 108 views)
Piss on holden
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote