Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Help with 1/8 scale buggy battery choices >

Help with 1/8 scale buggy battery choices

Help with 1/8 scale buggy battery choices

Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 286 (99%+)
Default Help with 1/8 scale buggy battery choices

Ok guys...I am very new to the 1/8 scale electric scene and want to start getting some batteries and stuff for my buggy. I am getting the new Duratrax buggy when it comes out.

I will be running a Hobbywing 150a XERUN speedo and Tekin 2050kv motor. The speedo is good from 2S-6S, but I just don't know what batteries to buy. I spent an hour looking online today and only got more confused. Do I spend the money on a $175 pack or get 2-3 packs that equal that price? I do plan on using this strickly for racing on the club level, but still don't want them to puff from being to weak.

I here some guys running 6S, some 4S and now I'm seeing 3S. Can someone please explain the pros/cons of each? Also, how many mah and c rating are enough?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

With that esc and motor choice I would stick with 4s 5000mah or higher. The higher the c rating the better. As far as which brand of lipo to buy is how much you want to spend. It also depends on how well you take care of the lipos. As long as you balance them, and don't let them drop to low you'll be fine.

The question you need to found out, is if your local track requires hard case lipos or if it doesn't matter. When it comes to buying lipos, Turnigy are pretty good IMO and I've had good luck with them. I've also have Thunderpower 4s lipos and they are also nice. But those will set you back quite a bit.

I would also try to find out the battery tray dimensions of the duratrax buggy. That way when you buy the batteries, it will fit and you won't be stuck with a battery that doesn't fit. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i use these 4s batteries. and im sure you will here some say 20c is not enough...but i have seen sponsored drivers at our track use them and win... and you cant beat less and 23 bucks a hardcase pack. i bought 2 packs a month or so ago and it was like 55 shipped.

as they told me. dont always fall for the hype. plus turnigy packs tent to be underated.

they are however out of stock right now but i dont think that will be for long.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18631
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

+++1^^^^^
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 286 (99%+)

How much runtime are you getting with those? How many batteries would I need for a race day?

Thanks again
Old 03-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i know they do the 10 min mains just fine. in 5 minutes i usally use less than 2000

i bought two of them. it has been plenty. i can just charge it after every race and use one though. but i usually change them out every race. after the third and main ill wont charge the pair till before next race day.