Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Beginner looking for advice/help from experienced members >

Beginner looking for advice/help from experienced members

Beginner looking for advice/help from experienced members

Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner looking for advice/help from experienced members

Hey guys, I'm new to this website and plan on being on here more!
Currently, I have a traxxas slash brushed 2WD and I ran it yesterday at Critters Hobbies Track in NJ. I can say I was NOT impressed.
Two of my friends just bought the Losi TEN-SCTE RTR and Rolling Chassis.
I was contemplating fixing my slash to brushless and the whole nine yards but I figured I might as well just buy a Losi and keep the slash as an extra car.
I did a lot of searching but there are so many variables that go into a RC car so this is where I need your help guys.

I will be racing maybe once or twice a month but mostly fiddling around on the street for fun. I live in Brooklyn, NY and there are not many tracks around here so this car will mostly be on the street.

I will most likely buy a Rolling Chassis so I need you guys to point me to the BEST products out there. I already bought a Proline Flo-tek body for my slash I will swap to my Losi. If money was not a concern what would you guys run on your ten-scte?

I want to run a 3-cell and street tires while riding on the street so I will need a motor/esc that can run on that. THANKS GUYS!

And I looked up the SC-10 but I want to buy the TEN-SCTE
Old 03-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trueno429 View Post
Currently, I have a traxxas slash brushed 2WD and I ran it yesterday at Critters Hobbies Track in NJ. I can say I was NOT impressed.
I was contemplating fixing my slash to brushless and the whole nine yards but I figured I might as well just buy a Losi and keep the slash as an extra car.
I did a lot of searching but there are so many variables that go into a RC car so this is where I need your help guys.

I will be racing maybe once or twice a month but mostly fiddling around on the street for fun. I live in Brooklyn, NY and there are not many tracks around here so this car will mostly be on the street.

I will most likely buy a Rolling Chassis so I need you guys to point me to the BEST products out there. I already bought a Proline Flo-tek body for my slash I will swap to my Losi. If money was not a concern what would you guys run on your ten-scte?

I want to run a 3-cell and street tires while riding on the street so I will need a motor/esc that can run on that. THANKS GUYS!

You should go with the SCTE RTR, the motor and ESC that comes in it will be perfect for 3S.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Tech Master

well like u said u want to buy the ten-scte so if thats what u want then that will be the best choice but make sure there is goo parts availability in your area cause waiting for parts in the mail for a week or so can sukk if your gonna be running a 3-cell and on the street i know a lot of people that run the CC mamba max pro in there sct and love it so that would be a good choice for car but i would recomend gettin the 4600kv motor if you get the combo because those motors have a lot of power and if your at the track and regular running around the house its perfect for that, but whats also goo abot the esc is if u do want to switch to a good sensored motor u can cause the esc supports both sensored and sensor-less
Old 03-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Welcome to the forum.

I brought the RTR about 3 months ago. The only thing I changed was the reciever to go to my M11x. I ran it with stock esc and 2800kv motor and 15t pinion gear. Its a great car. I changed the motor to Mamba 3800kv for Motorama and it gave it alittle more speed. I race about 4 or 5 times a month and I finally broke something(at Motorama) the rear hub carrier. I replaced it with the alum ones.

I see alot of guys run there Losi SCTE with Tekin 4000 or 4600kv and they are super fast. The truck is good out of the box though IMO. You can run 3s with the stock motor and esc as well. I tried it once on the track but its too much. I didnt gear it for the power either though so I took it out and just run 2s on the track. Thats all you need on the track.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Tekin RX8 or Orion R10 ESC

Pro4 4600kv motor (2 cell only) Get the stock 3800 kv motor on E-bay for under $90 for 3 cell.

AE XP1015 servo.

Radio of choice.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Check out the first post of the very first page of the SCTE thread. It's got a lot of very useful information. Honestly, if you're just gonna be doing speed runs up and down the street, just use your 2wd slash for that. Use the SCTE as your track vehicle. Put a brushless motor into your slash that can handle 3s and gear it to the moon and have a blast. But when it comes to the SCTE at a track, put away the 3s batteries. it's not only not allowed at most indoor tracks (and many outdoor as well) for 4x4SCT classes, but it's also totally overkill. Most of us running this truck are running 2s batteries on a 3800-4600kv 4 pole motor. The RTR 2800kv motor is great because it comes with an 18 tooth pinion which gears it up plenty to be run on 2s, however if you run on a bigger track, you can put a 20T pinion on. But that motor will also happily take 3s all day long as well. If you get the roller, the Castle 3800kv motor is a great budget motor, but you'll have to get an ESC still, but Castle does pair it with the MMP as the SCT Pro combo or something like that. Another great budget combo is the Viper Copperhead system. You'll probably read that there were some problems with that system at first, but the problems have been taken care of already and the system is getting good marks from people who are running them. But for the ultimate 'Race' truck, run the Tekin Pro4 motor. Personally I run the Pro4 4600kv. I gear it down to fit my track which is a medium sized clay indoor track. But if your local track is small, you may consider the 4000. Also something few people think of but is still important. I try not to run my SCTE on the street too often. The add stress put on the gears caused by the large amounts of traction from the asphalt will wear gears about 10x's faster than being run on dirt or even high traction clay. Hope this helps a bit. Best of Luck!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys for your advise!
My friend that has the RTR was saying the same thing that I should run a 3s on the ready-to-run. You guys mentioned sensorless motors, that means that I can't adjust the motors speed settings correct?

I dont want to run the stock motor I want an aftermarket motor thats faster than the stock motor that can run both 2-cell and 3-cell. I also need advice on what servo I should get
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys for your advise!
My friend that has the RTR was saying the same thing that I should run a 3s on the ready-to-run. You guys mentioned sensorless motors, that means that I can't adjust the motors speed settings correct?

I dont want to run the stock motor I want an aftermarket motor thats faster than the stock motor that can run both 2-cell and 3-cell. I also need advice on what servo I should get
If you are talking about setting the timing to different levels? no u cant do that on a sensor-less only sensored motors have the timing advance unless you get a stock sensored motor that has the timing locked in place. If you get an aftermarket motor make sure that if the esc is sensor-less it has to be a sensor-less motor too. A good servo would just be a good high torgue, digital, metal gear servo. it doesn't need to be insanely fast u just need a lot of torque for the bigger sct's.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:23 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcduder View Post
If you are talking about setting the timing to different levels? no u cant do that on a sensor-less only sensored motors have the timing advance unless you get a stock sensored motor that has the timing locked in place.
I think Castle esc's do that, and some hobbywings as well.
If you get an aftermarket motor make sure that if the esc is sensor-less it has to be a sensor-less motor too.
Not quite right; most sensorless esc's and sensored motors work fine together. It's the other way around; most sensored esc's require a sensored motor.
A good servo would just be a good high torgue, digital, metal gear servo. it doesn't need to be insanely fast u just need a lot of torque for the bigger sct's.
+1
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

if your going to run it in the street just get a hobbywing 1/8 scale esc and a pro 4 4600kv
Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I was in Long Island today at Island Raceway and wow what a day. It was practically a battle between loci's and associated's!

I met an enthusiast that seemed to know what he was doing as he had a whole work station set up on his table so I approached him and asked him about what he recommends. He had a ten-scte so I think he was a bit biased but he recommended the Tekin 4600 and the Tekin Rx8 esc. Any one have any opinions on what radio and servo to run with this combination? Any batterys also in particular?

Side note: I bought new tires and wheels today for my traxxas slash 2wd. I believe I bought the Jconcepts Bar Codes (Blue rear, Gold front) and WOW what a night/day difference. I also drained my shocks and filled them back up with Losi 45 weight oil. Also what a night/day difference!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default chassis

I was in Long Island today at Island Raceway and wow what a day. It was practically a battle between loci's and associated's!

I met an enthusiast that seemed to know what he was doing as he had a whole work station set up on his table so I approached him and asked him about what he recommends. He had a ten-scte so I think he was a bit biased but he recommended the Tekin 4600 and the Tekin Rx8 esc. Any one have any opinions on what radio and servo to run with this combination? Any batterys also in particular?

Side note: I bought new tires and wheels today for my traxxas slash 2wd. I believe I bought the Jconcepts Bar Codes (Blue rear, Gold front) and WOW what a night/day difference. I also drained my shocks and filled them back up with Losi 45 weight oil. Also what a night/day difference!
Tekin is a good system....however. I would suggest the Viper Copperhead. At $150 it's plenty fast and will give you some extra cash for Radio, tools, etc.
Don't let the cheap price fool ya...it's all you need IMO.

For radio....look at the KO Propo EX-5UR. $180 at Amain.
Servo....Savox 1258. There are others that are also good, but Savox is pretty bulletproof.
Lipo's....Turnigy Nano-Tech 5600mah-6600mah. Best lipo for the $$$$
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

First off you're wasting money upgrading motors & ESCs etc at this stage.

1) buy the RTR SCTE (run the stock body, you'll beat it up bad then snag a nice new one when it's time & keep the other on the slash)
2) buy TLR racing upgrade kit
3) Get a Nice 2s 6000mAH hard shell race pack (Orion 6500mAH 90c is one of the best)
4) Don't change anything from stock for 3 or 4 races, focus on no crashes and reducing lap times.
5) When you are ready tweak the truck setup, use a local fast guys setup including and most importantly tires! (forget losi's and the scte's thread setups as they are not for your track)
6) Now maybe start modding (reducing weight), few upgrades & lightened out drives (don't bother w/ outdrives until your first diff service)
**see the scte thread for tips on this truck..

The stock RTR motor will be more than enough for you to keep up with anyone on the track.. if your skills permit. Super fast is super stupid when you are learing to drive on a track, you need to just work on your skills first. Slower is faster more times than not on the race tracks, You're in NY so you are inside so you don't need crap for speed anyway at this point. Stock gearing will be a great start... don't mess race and have fun and improve skills. There is a little rubbing in short course but you shouldn't be bulldozing and trashing everyone on the track.. the cleaner you are the faster you are The rest will come with time and you won't have to ask.. you'll just know. Motors and esc's wont make you fast if you can't stay on all 4 wheels and make tight turns and hit the jumps properly. Gear up the stock motor until heat is an issue.. snag the new motor/esc combo for summer if you really think you need it.

Snag a brushless traxxas velineon cheap and a 3s cheap lipo for your slash for bashing at home, don't bash your race truck.. nothing worse than having issues and brakage while paying for and driving to a race track.. keep the race truck ready to race and keep it clean and nice

PS the Hitec 985mg iMO is the best servo you can find for these trucks.. super effeicent, super quick, tons of torque and a great price online.. I'm running one in my scte since day 1 and I've had mine since soon after release, they are amazing servo's. I have had this same servo model in my 1/8 scale e-buggy for 3 years.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 03-03-2012 at 08:26 PM.