Wiki Posts
Search

EZRUN sc10 ESC issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default EZRUN sc10 ESC issues?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum but noticing there is a lot of good information here. I just got my EZRUN sc10 ESC today and I will be running it in my Losi Strike with an 8.5T ezrun and a 32T Tacon in my Axial SCX10. I seems that this ESC is a beefed up version of my 60A EZRUN and I'm using the basic program card I had for my 60A to program it. My problem is that I want to dissable the over heat protection but, the ESC won't let me turn it off using the program card or with the button on the on switch. Why can't I turn off the over heat function? All the other settings work fine. Any ideas?

Thank,
Jason
Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I've never wanted to disable the thermal overload protection on any ESC, but Im guessing they maybe made it non adjustable for user protection. But O've never had my esc and /or motor cause my dtuff to shut down. Hobbywings fan runs continiously, so the ESC stays very cool. It wont be a problem. Its designed to keep you from damaging your ESC.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Why do you want it to turn off? Are you wanting to kill it?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I asked a similar question regarding some of the other features which are supposed to be available with the programming box (turbo, boost onset RPM, etc...) and was told that my ESC (Xerun 80A) was the V1 and didn't have those features. Mebbe you're in the same place?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Tech Rookie

As far as why I want to turn off the over heat protection, my v2 60A would shut down if I was having to much fun. 15 mins of running in the Strike it would shut down. It was especially annoying when climbing a steep hill with the Axial where I needed to maintain a good wheel speed to clear or trying to climb a rock and it would just stall out and start rolling back down. The motor and esc where both cool as cucumbers every time it did that. Initially, I thought it was my batteries but, I turned off the over heat protection and bought a temp gun, the problem went away. Hopefully since the SC10 is the latest HobbyWing product, they've raised the thermal protection temp so people won't need to turn it off. I guess I'll find out if I even need it dissabled when I hit the SCT track this Saturday.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default update:

I ran the new ESC today, works great for two mins and shuts off for a few seconds, Wtf? At least when the 60A was pulling that crap, I could dissable the heat protection and enjoy a cool trouble free 40 min run. I tried multiple lipo batteries of varying c and mah ratings and the same results. The thermal protection isn't blinking like it should, but going solid red which shows a loss of signal. I guess I'll break out the trusty old Futaba AM system an try again. If that doesn't work, the EZRUN is going back to China.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default fixed it!

I bought a Castle MMP and will be sending the EZRUN back. Problem solved.