RCTagz Exo Terra Buggy and Cage Mod >

RCTagz Exo Terra Buggy and Cage Mod

RCTagz Exo Terra Buggy and Cage Mod

Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default RCTagz Exo Terra Buggy and Cage Mod

Hey Guyz,

Well I was one of the fortunate/misfortunate (depending on who you ask) ones to get my hands on the new Axial Exo Terra Buggies and I for one am very happy with it!

I think it's one of the coolest looking r/c vehicles of any genre for a very long time, and I've been in the hobby for over 30 years now. The bottom line is that there are very few kits that are bug free and it has a lot to do with your particular use of it. Bashers tend to push their vehicles in much different ways than racers, and other people's views are just that, their views. Don't let people get you discouraged about buying something. If you like something enough you will find a way to make it suit your purposes. This hobby is more than just running the things hard, it's about wrenching and modding and testing and fiddling and customizing, at least that's been my experience..

All that being said, the first time I ran it at speed, I did blow one of the front shock tops off and I do agree that they are a likely weak spot, so I like a few, have opted for the nice looking Proline units and I'll be picking them up tomorrow.

The other thing I do agree with others on is that getting to your electronics is a bit of a pain once she's all bolted together, so I did this simple little mod and now I have access to all my electronics without pulling it apart and still protecting everything from the elements.

My original interior:

My first plan was to create one or two little plates that cover exposed holes made to this unit:

Unfortunately there is simply not enough structural integrity left in the unit, even after it's bolted back in, so I opted to build a new substructure:

This is made out of 4mm acrylic but you could use other materials, I just happen to have a few pieces laying around..

Now I needed to create the cover panels. I used some 2mm polycarbonate sheeting from a local plastics shop:

Since another concern has been a lack of airflow for the electronics I took the liberty of installing a small airscoop to get some air in there:

You can make this air scoop as big as you want, just keep in mind unless you put some screen mesh over the opening you'll just be allowing all kinds of crap to go in there...

Of course, since I do stickers, I had to do something cool for these:

To make it easy to remove I drilled a couple holes and installed a zap strap as a pull handle:

It may not be a realistic interior any longer but it still looks cool and is infintely more functional:

I hope that gives everyone an idea of what can be done in a couple hours of tinkering...

Full Circle

Back in 1986 I bought my very first r/c, a Tamiya Wild One and I had a blast that first summer, running the little thing into the ground! Here she is side by side with my new girl:

See any similarities? LOL..

Shameless plug: I'll be offering complete body wraps in over 20 schemes for the EXO Terra in the next few weeks. There will be 4 different camo schemes plus numerous other racing schemes. They will come with new engine stickers and will come with new fuel cell graphics, or either a Mr. Fusion unit or a Flux Capacitor:

Thanks for looking!

Mick
Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nice I want
Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dalolyn View Post
Nice I want
Seconded