Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DB02 1/10 4WD Buggy Thread >

Tamiya DB02 1/10 4WD Buggy Thread

Tamiya DB02 1/10 4WD Buggy Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well, the aeration dampers are Tamiya's best offering at the moment - but I've read some top level racers use them with X Springs, which I think are Kyosho big bore sized. I've added TLR big bores to my DB01R and I love the way it handles!

The cf reinforced plastic chassis are nice for off road - a little flex/traction built into the chassis!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:05 PM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Agreed. Still nowhere near the Kyosho big bores or even the Kyosho standard bore velvets. I don't think it's an issue with the springs, though big bore springs are pretty popular nowadays. Kyosho, Avid, Losi, but I haven't heard of X Springs. Will check them out. I'm looking forward to trying the Losi big bores on my XX-4.

As for the chassis, I've got the CF reinforced chassis with the battery slots on now. Can't wait to try the updated High Traction chassis that comes with the DB-01R. No battery slots, and they replaced the CF fill with fiberglass for more flex. I don't know of many that run carbon/graphite reinforced plastic chassis on anything other than turf. For dirt, everyone has replaced all the high-dollar, factory team option carbon/graphite plastic with the stock stuff. The new AE +8 chassis doesn't even come in carbon/graphite, and I think even the new WC kits from a variety of manufacturers sticks with the more flexible (some sometimes beefier) "stock" plastic.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This buggy seems to have the potential, I can imagine it with the same composite tub but narrower for saddles in the back rather than stick, big bores, ti-turnbuckles, etc...
But the price is up there to say the least . I would consider it but for the price of this mid level kit you could add a lil more coin and pick up a ft b44 . IMO
Old 07-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

E-Dog, Well, the DB02 is around $240, the B44.1 is around $370, that's a fair bit of difference for most people - but add in some upgrades to bring up it's level of competitiveness and you're right, they're closer in cost. I suppose a selling feature is the Tamiya brand and perhaps low initial price to get into 4WD - and the use of the more plentiful and inexpensive sport lipo stick packs. Saddle packs, cf, BB's etc - that sounds like a 502 already!

Ruf - hey, what can I say, Kyosho are the gold standard for shocks nowadays! I'd have bought a pair if the springs weren't $22 a set! Meant to say that the X springs are Kyosho's apparently. Check out the oople website Tamiya thread on them. I currently run the cf reinforced chassis as well - but that was for indoor carpet - I'm thinking about going back to the stock R chassis for outdoor/covered, hard packed clay.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99 View Post
E-Dog, Well, the DB02 is around $240, the B44.1 is around $370, that's a fair bit of difference for most people - but add in some upgrades to bring up it's level of competitiveness and you're right, they're closer in cost. I suppose a selling feature is the Tamiya brand and perhaps low initial price to get into 4WD - and the use of the more plentiful and inexpensive sport lipo stick packs. Saddle packs, cf, BB's etc - that sounds like a 502 already!

Ruf - hey, what can I say, Kyosho are the gold standard for shocks nowadays! I'd have bought a pair if the springs weren't $22 a set! Meant to say that the X springs are Kyosho's apparently. Check out the oople website Tamiya thread on them. I currently run the cf reinforced chassis as well - but that was for indoor carpet - I'm thinking about going back to the stock R chassis for outdoor/covered, hard packed clay.
Ohh, ok is that everywhere I looked it was around $330
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

So does anyone have one yet? My whole life I've always wanted a Tamiya 4wd buggy and never did! Thinking about getting this or a DB01R as a brushless plaything not to race.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

The "X Springs" in question are made by Japanese company "X-Gear". They are (and have been) making springs for Kyosho but also for the aftermarket.

I am a TRF driver and I am looking forward to campaigning a DB02 for the 2013 season. Until I have one in my hands I can only say that it will get the TRF shocks that come with the 201 and will be built with the Ti screw kit as well as the slipper clutch. I will initially run the stock plastics to see what holds up and what does not.

My entry is currently in at the Reedy Race of Champions and if I make it through the lottery draw to compete I will do so with a DB02 (and 201).
Old 11-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Chiefy 707 View Post
So does anyone have one yet? My whole life I've always wanted a Tamiya 4wd buggy and never did! Thinking about getting this or a DB01R as a brushless plaything not to race.
I have a DB02 on the way. I will be blogging about it on the www.TeamTRF.com site not only through the build but also track testing it bone stock and adding a hop up part at a time here and there and continuing my blogs clear on through January where I will be racing it in Pro competition at the Reedy Race of Champions.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 AM
pej
Tech Rookie

Default Do I need a slipper clutch in the DB02?

Hello,

I have a newbie question about the DB02. I searched for general guidance on this and didn't have much luck.

I haven't built a car for over twenty years, but I had a Tamiya Subaru Brat as a teenager and loved it. I've picked up a DB02 kit to build with my kids. I got a Tamiya BZ Super Stock 23T Motor to put in it, but I'm worried that I may need a slipper clutch to keep from burning up transmission parts.

I will just be goofing around in the yard, street, and fields - jumping some. Do I need a slipper clutch with this motor?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pej View Post
Hello,

I have a newbie question about the DB02. I searched for general guidance on this and didn't have much luck.

I haven't built a car for over twenty years, but I had a Tamiya Subaru Brat as a teenager and loved it. I've picked up a DB02 kit to build with my kids. I got a Tamiya BZ Super Stock 23T Motor to put in it, but I'm worried that I may need a slipper clutch to keep from burning up transmission parts.

I will just be goofing around in the yard, street, and fields - jumping some. Do I need a slipper clutch with this motor?

Thanks for your help.
Mah, a 23T motor is not a lot of power, so you'd probably be ok, but a slipper is only $20 - a worth while upgrade, even for bashing around the back yard - your drivetrain will be happier for it.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

Default DB02 serious race buggy?!

TRF Blog about the DB02 as a serious race buggy starts here:

http://www.teamtrf.com/index.php/my-...ce-proven.html
Old 04-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any updates on this buggy? planning on getting one of these.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'd still get a DB01R vs. this kit. Aside from Racecrafter above, who has done a nice job modifying the box kit to race spec (and spent some good money doing it) I have never seen one in a parking lot nevermind racing this kit - the DB02 is not currently offered in a TRF version, so you'll be spending your money on universals, shocks, slipper, alum suspension upgrades, upgraded plastics & a hex screw kit - all to make it "raceable" - at that point you may as well either get a DB01R for $250 or for similar money, a used B44.1 or Durango, if you've set your heart to run 4WD.

Side note - if you simply want to run it around your house, or "bash", as they say, I'd still skip it and get either the DB01R or an SC truck!

Last edited by HeavyD99; 08-07-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

I'd still get the DB02. Not a big fan of a belt car basher. You care right though, a DB01R is a better value for racing.
That said I'm curious how much more racing has Racecrafter put in with his DB02 and if he's still getting impressive results.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

So I have a DB02 that ive been messing around with and I am not sure I am getting the gearing right. the manual is pretty vague with the ratios and Ive gotten the car to feel pretty good but I feel im off on gearing. I am running the stock 77t spur with a 7.5 but have been thinking of switching to a 6.5
If anyone could recommend a starting pinion for either of these Id appreciate it. Right now I have a 19 in there but the esc is coming off a bit hot, and it seems a bit slow. im just wondering if that is more due to the weight of the car however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service