Wiki Posts
Search

HobbyKing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeInCtown
Just wondering which of the batteries they were? I now have 5 Nano-Tech batteries and they seem fine. Were they the standard Turnigy ones? or one of the other off brands?
The Zippy Packs usually just ignite as soon as they meet a charger. Hand a handful of customers use the Turnigy packs for about 50 cycles before they fail to balance.

Unfortunately a nearby unaffiliated hobbytown has an employee telling people to buy cheap batteries, not balance them, and throw them out after a few months. But I can't prevent him from giving bad advice. Our store owners don't even see eye to eye lol
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HobbytownGBW
Unfortunately a nearby unaffiliated hobbytown has an employee telling people to buy cheap batteries, not balance them, and throw them out after a few months.
That's a terrible advice. I bet the planet really loves that guy.

I fail to understand why if you have a charger capable of balancing a LiPo, why not run the balance every time you charge it?

I'm a bit intrigued about the Turnigy after 50 cycles though, I think the next Turnigy pack I buy, I'm going to keep a tally mark on the case just to see if this is true. I've had two low-end Turnigy packs (4000mAH 2s1p 25C stuff) that I've been using on my robots, and I think I've cycled it about 15 times now...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
That's a terrible advice. I bet the planet really loves that guy.

I fail to understand why if you have a charger capable of balancing a LiPo, why not run the balance every time you charge it?

I'm a bit intrigued about the Turnigy after 50 cycles though, I think the next Turnigy pack I buy, I'm going to keep a tally mark on the case just to see if this is true. I've had two low-end Turnigy packs (4000mAH 2s1p 25C stuff) that I've been using on my robots, and I think I've cycled it about 15 times now...

there's really Zero point to balance charging, EVERY time. A quality cell that has been well maintained Should Not Wonder too far as long as your not going to LVC or Running the pack till the Car will barely move.

There's is Lots of literature out there if you curious to read up on Lipo's.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HobbytownGBW
The Zippy Packs usually just ignite as soon as they meet a charger.

And your any better for Spewing this garbage info ?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
And your any better for Spewing this garbage info ?
+1
I got into planes a couple years back and the zippy and rhino packs are still good. They are not the highest c discharge, but the motor/esc in the plane that I got those for does not need a high c discharge.

I bet HK makes the batteries that are restickered and marked up 100% and sold through hobby town... don't knock em.