R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Evader Slipper Clutch?????????

I recently bought some new wheels and tires for my Nitro Evader. They are quite a bit larger than stock but are still 2.2. I also bought the aluminum diff. gear. After installing the diff. gear and the wheels my truck is gutless. The slipper appears to be slipping too much, the engine winds right up but the truck won't accelerate much. I adjusted the rear diff as Duratrax intructs to.

Where did I make my mistake? I've tried adjusting the slipper clutch but can't make much progress.

Looking for suggestions....... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nathan_dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Tech Addict

the bigger tires affect the rollout of the car
try running a smaller pinion
craziracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I think my problem may bee fixed without replacing any more parts. I've just looked the truck over again and found that I can turn the spur gear with my finger and little resistance the truck will start to move forward, I know its not supposed to do this because it didn't before I took it apart.

WHAT DID I DO???????
Old 01-10-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You should be able to turn the spur and rotate the axels fairly easily. A tranny put together right will spin with very minimal resistance. I don't know much about your tranny, but they should all be similar.

To check the slipper, hold both wheels stationary, and try to rotate the spur gear. It should be hard and want to eat your finger into the clutch bell. And eventually the spur should rotate, but not the back half of the slipper pad. If the whole slipper assembly rotates, the diff is to loose, or fried. But a fried diff can drive around a bit until it heats up, then it'll slip and barely move, if at all.

Could it be your clutch is worn?

Also check to make sure the back of the rims are properly seated in the pins or hexs (however yours mounts to the axel). If this is wrong it won't go or have power either.

I'm only familiar with the GT, so this info may not apply to you. If it doesn't you should be able to figure that out quickly.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

I held both wheels and turned the spur gear. I was able to turn it and the whole assembly turned with it. The truck is only a few weeks old and worked great yesterday. I haven't really ran it since replacing the wheels and I had the problem the moment I tried to run it with the new wheels, I don't think (atleast I hope) the diff is fried. It continues to work I just can't get any real power to the wheels.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Then I'd either pull the diff, or check the back of the rims to see if they are seated correctly or stripped.

Possibly be an idler gear also.

Easiest thing to do is put the old rims/tires back on and see if it's ok with those on. If so, you know it's in the new rims.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help, I'll have to put the old wheels back on tommorow and try it, and go from there.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:59 AM   #8
Tech Elite

An easier way to check that, is to hold the right rear tire and spur gear with your right hand, and try to turn the left tire. If the tire is easy to turn, then something is slipping. If the slipper assembly is spinning, then it's the slipper slipping (which is good if it's not too much) and if it isn't spinning, it's the diff.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nick111

check if you burnt up the pads, not the metal plate, but the hard rubber type pad. one you burn them up ( could have been caused by the increase rollout) they become very slippery and its like just using the plate.