Team Durango DESC210R >

Team Durango DESC210R

Like Tree9Likes

Team Durango DESC210R

Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OhioLandman View Post
If you're basing your RC selection on wheel swapability, then perhaps you should re-think being in the sport all together... Unless you're just in it for the bashing. (In which case you shouldn't even be considering a brand that's slogan is: "SERIOUS ABOUT RACING"
Wow, you a jerk much? What a way to show him! Yeah!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, I agree it is a real PITA that durango decided to go their own way with rims, if they went with a 12mm hex or even just the pin, they probably would have gotten more sales.

It didnt bother me too much as most of my tyres from my X6 were all just about bald anyway, was a pain having to buy new rims though, spending more money on something I already had.
Although I believe there is now an option available to run other rims.

Some people spend a lot of money on getting a stockpile of rims/tyres, most probably would not be willing to go do it again.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Yeah, I agree it is a real PITA that durango decided to go their own way with rims, if they went with a 12mm hex or even just the pin, they probably would have gotten more sales.

It didnt bother me too much as most of my tyres from my X6 were all just about bald anyway, was a pain having to buy new rims though, spending more money on something I already had.
Although I believe there is now an option available to run other rims.

Some people spend a lot of money on getting a stockpile of rims/tyres, most probably would not be willing to go do it again.
I believe they use longer arms and require a larger hex..... More surface to tighten the wheel against. Otherwise it may cause durability issues.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

As expensive as this hobby is, people complain about buying rims?... One of my favorite features on my DEX210 are the hex size, And my favorite feature of the DESC210 will be that you can share rims with the DESC410r. And I dont think Team Durango has "Sales Issues"... Especially because of non compatible rims with other brands. They can barely keep these kits on the shelves.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kerby View Post
I believe they use longer arms and require a larger hex..... More surface to tighten the wheel against. Otherwise it may cause durability issues.
They are using the same wheels as on their 4wd sc. On that truck, the different hex was a necessity because the long length of their arms meant a shallow hex was needed to get the overall width where it needed to be. Had they used a 12mm hex with the depth needed, there would be stripped wheels all over the place, so a 15mm hex provides the surface area necessary to acheive the durability we all want. From there, it only makes sense to use the same wheels on the 2wd truck now. The easy thing to so is just get the 4wd too so all your sc wheels are the same.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5 View Post
They are using the same wheels as on their 4wd sc. On that truck, the different hex was a necessity because the long length of their arms meant a shallow hex was needed to get the overall width where it needed to be. Had they used a 12mm hex with the depth needed, there would be stripped wheels all over the place, so a 15mm hex provides the surface area necessary to acheive the durability we all want. From there, it only makes sense to use the same wheels on the 2wd truck now. The easy thing to so is just get the 4wd too so all your sc wheels are the same.
I have the 4wd and like the fact I don't need new tires for this one. I just hope the release date stays mid July.....Anybody running the Michigan race series?
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Let me ask you a question. Why do you think they made the length of their arms so long?
To give it the most travail possible. Don't you see, its to the benefit of the handling. So do not complain. This is going to be the truck all other start to go buy.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
Let me ask you a question. Why do you think they made the length of their arms so long?
To give it the most travail possible. Don't you see, its to the benefit of the handling. So do not complain. This is going to be the truck all other start to go buy.
Kind of, but there's much more to it than that, and I won't pretend to know the why or why not of what they do at TD headquarters. If travel is all they were after, longer shocks accomplish that. What I do know is that if they have a vehicle for a class I want to run, that is the only vehicle I will consider. And they haven't let me down yet. The slogan should be "Serious about building the most badass cars out there"
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

+1 what he said.

Come on.....the TD wheel is [email protected] sexy! Hands down the best looking factory wheel. And the other good thing is now you have a reason not to share with other people. I hated going to grab a set of tires from my bag only to find that someone "borrowed" them.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

The slogan should be "Serious about building the most badass cars out there"
Thats a lot to try to fit on a t-shirt.....

Is it mid July yet? Jon, Cush and I have a few a$$ whoppin's to hand out
Old 06-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Kind of, but there's much more to it than that, and I won't pretend to know the why or why not of what they do at TD headquarters. If travel is all they were after, longer shocks accomplish that. What I do know is that if they have a vehicle for a class I want to run, that is the only vehicle I will consider. And they haven't let me down yet. The slogan should be "Serious about building the most badass cars out there"
Its not in the shocks, but the pivot point.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ray Kindstrom View Post
+1 what he said.

Come on.....the TD wheel is [email protected] sexy! Hands down the best looking factory wheel. And the other good thing is now you have a reason not to share with other people. I hated going to grab a set of tires from my bag only to find that someone "borrowed" them.
O snap! I'v been there.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tim3 View Post
Its not in the shocks, but the pivot point.
Yes, but then you run into motion ratios and leverage. You could end up running a spring that is 3x heavier than the rear just to get the rates right. In the end I'm confident that they will give us a truck capable of dominating the class. And well, then it's all on the driver.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Hexes apart (no need for such a big hex on 2wd) both the sc truck and the buggy wheels are never perfectly round. It does not affect the handling I (at least at my skill level) but just bugs the OCDness in me when gluing tires. That is why I used a few borrego wheels but then I cannot acetone those types of rims . I wish TD ups their QC on the plastics. Front rear arms, the screws back out in about 4-5 race weekends so that's an added expense on arms. Never had that issue with kyosho and schumi... I LOVE the cars design flexibility but these quirks are what I have to live with to drive the cars I love.... end of rant....
Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Hexes apart (no need for such a big hex on 2wd) both the sc truck and the buggy wheels are never perfectly round. It does not affect the handling I (at least at my skill level) but just bugs the OCDness in me when gluing tires. That is why I used a few borrego wheels but then I cannot acetone those types of rims . I wish TD ups their QC on the plastics. Front rear arms, the screws back out in about 4-5 race weekends so that's an added expense on arms. Never had that issue with kyosho and schumi... I LOVE the cars design flexibility but these quirks are what I have to live with to drive the cars I love.... end of rant....
Up until this past week I had never seen the wheels being out of round. Now I have- one wheel in at least 50 sets of wheels. Hopefully its a freak occurrence.

You mean the button head that holds the hinge pins in, or the droop screw?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service