Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RX8 or Mamba Max Pro for 4x4 SC??? >

RX8 or Mamba Max Pro for 4x4 SC???

RX8 or Mamba Max Pro for 4x4 SC???

Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slashdrivr
I've run both esc's with the Pro 4 4000 and the MMP/4.5 550 combo.

RX8 hits harder down low imo, but only found that out after I started unsoldering the power leads on the esc when I switched to the Pro 4 on the MMP.

But in regards to your situation...put the MMP in SmartSense. Default on timing, iirc 10 degs. Med start power and 100% Forward power. 15T pinion and hang on, if you can't clear a jump like that...your flat out using the wrong tires or your approach is incorrect.
kind of funny , i switched back to a mmp when i couldnt get a negative power lead to stay soldered on my rx8....
Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

In my experience bl motors make more power everywhere the more you gear them up within reason keeping a close eye on temps. And will run hot when undergeard. I would run in smartsense low timing and gear up. 15 tooth minimum. Motor should run cooler and make plenty of power.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

as others have said, try gearing up using smartsense and little timing.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Two things you can try is turning the timing down about 5 degrees on the motor but keep the cheat timing and everything else the same. After that try 11 tooth pinion and see if that along with the 5 degrees less timing in the motor don't help.
I am confused... How do you turn down the timing on the motor, but keep the cheat timing the same? I thought the Cheat timing was the only way to add/take away degress of timing to the motor (other than the 5 basic smart sense options - 0deg, 5deg, 10deg, 15deg, or 20deg).

Please le me know how to accomplish this?

Thanks again!

-Cameron
Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcgod
In my experience bl motors make more power everywhere the more you gear them up within reason keeping a close eye on temps. And will run hot when undergeard. I would run in smartsense low timing and gear up. 15 tooth minimum. Motor should run cooler and make plenty of power.
Thank you! I deffinately will try this the next time I am at the track!!

-Cameron
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Slashdrivr
But in regards to your situation...put the MMP in SmartSense. Default on timing, iirc 10 degs. Med start power and 100% Forward power. 15T pinion and hang on, if you can't clear a jump like that...your flat out using the wrong tires or your approach is incorrect.
Thanks for the suggestion, but first off, what does "iirc" mean? And I understand that you obviously don't know how I drive, but eventhough I am new to RC, I have learned quickly, and before I got this set up, I had 13 A-main wins in a row at this same track layout. So I don't think its my line choice/ approach to the jump, and or tires, but thanks for the other suggestion though! A few others have suggested something similar, and I will definately give it a try!

Thanks again!

-Cameron
Old 02-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default pro 4

If you do go the pro 4 4600 you can gear it up and still have the amazing punch because its a 4 pole. So you could probably run that motor with a 16 or 17 tooth pinion and still have as much or more torque and a higher top end
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SixFeetDeep
I am confused... How do you turn down the timing on the motor, but keep the cheat timing the same? I thought the Cheat timing was the only way to add/take away degress of timing to the motor (other than the 5 basic smart sense options - 0deg, 5deg, 10deg, 15deg, or 20deg).

Please le me know how to accomplish this?

Thanks again!

-Cameron
Almost every sensored motor out including the Novak 4.5 your using has adjustable timing on the motor itself. On the Novak it has 3 screws on the back on the endbell where the sensor port is. You can loosen them and turn the timing up or down. Turning it to the left will increase motor timing and to the right will decrease motor timing.

In the picture you can see those three screws in the back of the end bell. Just loosen them up some and you can turn the end of the motor.

Last edited by wyd; 07-01-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
Ok..Help me out here Randy..I have been under the impression that a 550 can motor has 40% to 50% more torque than a comparable 540 can motor..is this right or did I get it wrong? Now are the SC4X motors also 4pole? Right now my RX8 is a no go..so if I want to race this weekend I have to use my MMP..anybody have any gearing suggestions..I'm using a MMP speed controller with a SC4X 5.5 in a Losi SCTE..
A 2 pole 550 motor like the Sc4x does have more torque than a 2 pole 540 motor.

However when you compare the 550 Sc4x (2 pole) to the Pro 4 which is 540 (4 pole) that is apples and oranges.

The Pro 4 has a completely different power band and feel than the Sc4x. Both are extremely fast the pro 4 is in my opinion easier to drive for lower lap times.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wyd
Almost every sensored motor out including the Novak 4.5 your using has adjustable timing on the motor itself. On the Novak it has 3 screws on the back on the endbell where the sensor port is. You can loosen them and turn the timing up or down. Turning it to the left will increase motor timing and to the right will decrease motor timing.

In the picture you can see those three screws in the back of the end bell. Just loosen them up some and you can turn the end of the motor.
OK thank you! But I am not using a Novak 4.5... I am using the Tekin SCX4 550 can 4.5 turn... Will it have the same adjustments on it??

Thanks,
-Cameron
Old 02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

Yes it will... They are bothe sensored motors. My only sugestion is a repeat of what others have suggested but here it is anyway. Mess around with your timing and gearing. If you can't find what your looking for than change your motor to a 4 pole motor. You will gain your torque and should still be able to achieve you top end with out a problem. You could also borrow a higher turn motor and experement with that to see if it works for you.

2 things about torque and speed. The lower the Turn i.e 4.5 the more speed and less torque. The higher the Turn i.e 17.5 the more torque but less speed.
Same about timing Higher timimg 40° more speed less torque
Lower timing 10° the more torque and less speed.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Just a quick question guys, I just picked up a 2nd hand rx8, The seller was running a tekin 550 motor, should I reset thr esc to factory defauls as I will be running a pro4 2600? Thanks in advabce
Old 02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok, if you're using an Rx8 motor timing has NO effect on motor performance or temps, fyi.

You can factory reset the unit as that "setup" is what most of us use on the Pro 4 save for adding current limiter which you can do without the hotwire
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Cool, any tips on how to reset, Thanks for the fast responcse
Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

A little of topic..but..Randy, Why can't I get my hot wire to work with ANY RX8..it works with my RS but as soon as I hook up my RX8 it won't work..and this RX8 is NEW just bought it today..I'm starting to HATE Tekin....just an FYI I NEVER have any issuses with my MMP and the castle link..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.