Wiki Posts
Search

Wires for motor and ESC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Wires for motor and ESC

Last year I purchased a HK 150A ESC and Turnigy 2560Kv motor for my Ofna buggy and after installing it, ran it with a 4S and a 5S lipo to see how it performed to my old Castle 2200 system.

Well, on 4S it seemed slower and on 5S, not much faster and it shut down after a couple of minutes. Motor was very hot to the touch and even the wire connecting the ESC and motor was hot. All settings were low and pinion was stock.

After checking with a few other guys, I've come to the conclusion that too much resistance is given due to the length of the wires for both the ESC and motor. They are both quite long (roughly 10" for motor and 6-8" for ESC)and was going to shorten them this week but my question is which ones do I shorten? ESC, motor, both? Or am I on the wrong track?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

if you are going to shorten any wire, shorten the one that is smaller and has the most resistance. it can cause a lot of problems if you are trying to force too much juice through wires that are not capable of handling it. if they are the same then it will not make a difference which one you shorten, just make it shorter. when i work with power tools they specify the max length and minimum gauge you can run and motors/esc would work the same way. if they are both small, get all new wiring. i used the novak noodles for cost and they seem to be a pretty nice wire with a decent gauge.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

use 16 gauge wire make sure solder joints are good this will help with the heat problem. also try ec5 plugs for the volts and amps. race play have fun
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 AM
dtr
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chucko
use 16 gauge wire make sure solder joints are good this will help with the heat problem. also try ec5 plugs for the volts and amps. race play have fun
16gauge is too thin, use 12 or thicker.