R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-08-2005, 01:49 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default FT B3 experts out there?

I got a pretty clean FT B3 a few months back...I don'trace off-road much, but I figured that this would be a decent car to play around with.

Anyways...if I "case" a jump (happens pretty regularly), the CVDs (happens on both sides) will pop out of the outdrives.

I've tried moving the shims around to get them engaged as much as I can. I've also added o-rings (2 each side) inside the shocks as limiters.

If I have the shocks set to where the axles are all the way inside the outdrives at full extension, there's almost no arm droop past ride height...and it gets bad loose in the rear around turns.

Several people have told me that it's just a characteristic of the B3...but it's hard to believe that there's no fix for this besides buying a B4/T4. I'd like to get my learning done on this car before I shell out the cash for a newer car.

Oh yeah...I checked AE's FAQ...rear camber is only about -1*.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:16 AM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I have a factory team b3 an i have had it for four years and i have never had that happen have you checked that the cvds arent bent
comm cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:28 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

sounds like maybe the wrong dogbone is on your car or you have incorrect hubs (i.e. Losi, or B4 hubs) on the back widening your car. At racing droop, the dogbone pin should be just inside the edge of the outdrive. If camber and shimming and the shocks are built according the manual, then it sounds like you have a incorrect part installed on your car
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Tech Elite

The car is pretty original. I took the CVD's out and matched them up against some new ones...and some universals...same length. They're not bent, either.

With the shocks at full extension (no limiters), if you blip the throttle -- BANG -- they come out. They sit right at the edge, with droop, one pin is basically hanging out.

I checked out a B4 and the CVD was 1/3 of the way in, like on a touring car, with WAY more droop.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OI812

I had the same problem with my Team B3. I fixed it with spacers inside the shocks like you mentioned. For me, the ride height isn't too bad and it's not too loose. What's wierd for me was that it was only one side of the car that did it, I always thought I just got a bad set of parts; interesting that other people had the same problem.
OI812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
Tech Elite

It's mostly the left side for me, but it's happened on both sides.

Maybe I need to use the solid spacers in the shocks. I have 2 silicone o-rings for limiters in there now. Just seems kinda lame to me. They could have easily made the bones .100" longer and it would be perfect.

I may go snag some universals and see how those work. I'm just getting tired of killing outdrives at 7-8 bucks a whack...oh yeah...and DNF'ing.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you using outside hole on the arms? If you are then the easiest solution is to buy some B4 axles, part number 9598, the B4 axle is longer so you can space the CVD bone further towards the outdrive, you will need a few shims to do this, the MIP CVD hardware kit come with lots of shims, part no. 1020. I did this mod to my B2 and I can run heaps of droop and the CVDs will never pop out.
goodez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Outside shock mounting hole? I've tried both so far. There's only one hole to mount the uprights.

Hmmmm...B4 axles...gotta look at that. I already bought a package of shims. Hopefully the LHS has them.