Wiki Posts
Search

Novak HV + Havoc Pro Randomly shutted off

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default Novak HV + Havoc Pro Randomly shutted off

Hey guys, been into the hobby a while but always been a nitro guy, been running 4wd SCT for about a year with the Novak HV 5.5 motor and Havoc Pro ESC, last race the truck was running perfectly fine and out of no where the ESC just shut off, quickly checked the motor temp and it was at normal temp, nothing out of the ordinary, tried different battery and still haven't been able to turn it on, checked all the wiring and all seems fine, it just seems to me like the ESC just "died". I haven't contacted Novak yet but was just wondering if anyone has run into something like this.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Does it light up at all ? Is the fan working ? Have you cycled the on off switch a few times ? Sometimes they get corroded .
Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Does it light up at all ? Is the fan working ? Have you cycled the on off switch a few times ? Sometimes they get corroded .
It will not light up at all, the fan won't go on and yeah tried cycling the switch and the ESC just refuses to turn on
Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zJatoRad
It will not light up at all, the fan won't go on and yeah tried cycling the switch and the ESC just refuses to turn on
Not sure how Novak are with their warranty but if they don't mind, you could try cutting the switch off and just twisting the wires together. That way you can rule out the switch as that's all it sounds like to me.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RatsacK
Not sure how Novak are with their warranty but if they don't mind, you could try cutting the switch off and just twisting the wires together. That way you can rule out the switch as that's all it sounds like to me.
I'll ask them tomorrow. Also, could it possibly be the capacitor? it looks fine but don't know if it could have anything to do with the issue (electric noob here!)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I have seen power wires go bad before and break on the inside and look completely fine on the outside. I bet you already tried jiggling the wires though, so it probably isn't that. Are there any burn marks anywhere? Try looking all around and look inside your capacitor area too and check to see if the wire connecting to the cap burned off like a fuse. If you have access to a volt meter, measure the voltage on the board of the ESC across the red and black wires. It should read the same voltage as your battery, if it doesn't, then you definitely have a wire issue. If it does read the same voltage as your battery, try shorting out your switch as recommended earlier. You can short out the switch on the ESC without cutting off the switch and twisting the wires. You just need to short out the red and black pins where the switch plugs into and you can do that with a small screwdriver and touching the two pins on the ESC at the same time. The ESC should turn on when you do this, if it doesn't, give Novak a call. They have the best customer service bar none and will get you back on the track in no time.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mattnin
I have seen power wires go bad before and break on the inside and look completely fine on the outside. I bet you already tried jiggling the wires though, so it probably isn't that. Are there any burn marks anywhere? Try looking all around and look inside your capacitor area too and check to see if the wire connecting to the cap burned off like a fuse. If you have access to a volt meter, measure the voltage on the board of the ESC across the red and black wires. It should read the same voltage as your battery, if it doesn't, then you definitely have a wire issue. If it does read the same voltage as your battery, try shorting out your switch as recommended earlier. You can short out the switch on the ESC without cutting off the switch and twisting the wires. You just need to short out the red and black pins where the switch plugs into and you can do that with a small screwdriver and touching the two pins on the ESC at the same time. The ESC should turn on when you do this, if it doesn't, give Novak a call. They have the best customer service bar none and will get you back on the track in no time.
Ahhh, just went through them again and even through from the outside it didn't look damaged it was indeed damaged inside, already soldered and working fine again, thanks!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Awesome! Glad to see your back up and running again
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default now find and fix the real problem

Obiously the wires are coming loose for a reason. Slodered wires just dont come loose after a yr of use. You have too much loose wire bouncing around or something else that is causing you to have a flex cycle at solder joint.
Grab a alum can and flex it back and forth a bunch soon enough it tears. Grab a soldered wire and flex it back and forth at the joint and soon enough it fails. Some times like you it goes quick and just stops ( lucky for you) normally it causes alot of risistance first from joint coming loose which equals heat and then ultimate failure to esc or it comes loose and bounces around shocking the shit out of the esc as it rattles around inside of esc and short circuits or even better yet causes it to let the white skmoke out of the esc.

Then we get to hear the lame novak just burned up out of nowhere story. Must be a crappy esc cause that what all your buddies say about the novaks

so look under the body and tighten things up so it runs forever like most novaks due when cared for .

You got lucky this time !!! go buy a lotto ticket while you still have the lucky streak going

Cheers

O&S