Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
!!! WOW How big is your foam !!! >

!!! WOW How big is your foam !!!

!!! WOW How big is your foam !!!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default !!! WOW How big is your foam !!!

Hi guys, getting towards the end of my B44.1 build to start my 1:10th scale electric journey. I've raced 8th scale nitro a little while ago and I can not remember ever having to trim or shape tire foams before in 8th scale.

The tire foams provided in the kit with the holeshot tires are huge compared to the tire. Is this typical for all foams in this scale ? Who trims the foams to a closer match to the width of the tire ? Who shapes the foam to conform to the bead or shape of the tire.

Some trimming and shaping advice please !!!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Stuff them. The kit tires are proline holeshots, in my opinion, proline has the worst foams out there and if you cut them down, they will break down and go almost flat before you even wear out the tire... So stuff them full. I trim all 4 corners of the foam just a hair and shove them in.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just switched over to using the closed cell inserts. The AKA soft inserts seem to work pretty well at least at my track.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

stuff it in there and feel it, try another foam and another and another until you get one you like then trim as desired for final tuning and fit. Open cell foams in general are bigger and softer so they need to be stuffed, closed cell foams in general can be made to better fit the shape and don't deform as much. Every track and person has different needs so mix and match as you like. I like tea with my crackers, some like coffee.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by asc6000 View Post
stuff it in there and feel it, try another foam and another and another until you get one you like then trim as desired for final tuning and fit. Open cell foams in general are bigger and softer so they need to be stuffed, closed cell foams in general can be made to better fit the shape and don't deform as much. Every track and person has different needs so mix and match as you like. I like tea with my crackers, some like coffee.
That's what she said...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cackswayn View Post
That's what she said...
useless post but I like your Boxer.

OP, stuff them in there, you might want to narrow the fronts a little (can't remember if they give a full rear with the 4wd fronts). I trim all four edges as well for better fit.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Cheers guys will take it all on board.