Wiki Posts
Search

B44 Front Shock Tower Transponder Mod/AMB Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default B44 Front Shock Tower Transponder Mod/AMB Case

So I was looking at my B44 the other day wondering where I should put my transponder. I know putting it to the front is the best choice, so I looked and was about to decide to put it either right ontop of the servo, or right next to the receiver (right and left front sides). Then I stumbled on a place that would be prime and out of the way for a AMB transponder with no tabs! Right in front of the car, in the slot where the front diff can be seen in a gap of the shock tower. Although it doesn't fit right now, I know a really good machinist with access to CNC and Laser welding machines on a daily basis and talked to him about making a front shock tower out of titanium that could have a slot in it for the transponder. He thought about it and saw that he had a little bit of titanium left over and decided to make it for me. I mentioned that it would need to be covered, since I didn't want the transponder to be harmed in any way, and he said the design he had would provide a shield/slot for the transponder to fit into. He is currently making it right now and should have it done by the end of the week! I will post pics up of the finnished product!

He also thought of another idea. Since some people like the tabs and some people don't, he thought of an idea for an aluminum case for those who want the tabs, yet want to get a good deal on a non tabbed transponder. It would be made of two sides, the bottom piece with tabs, and the top piece that snapped on to the bottom and kept the transponder in place. This would allow people to mount the cases in their separate cars, and then be able to switch the one transponder out without using annoying velcro. The transponder, without tabs, would fit inside the case very snugly, and would have a slot in the side for the wire to come out. Plus it's made of aluminum, which would protect the transponder pretty well inside the car with adding little weight!

Just wanted to share his ideas, and will post pictures of the finnished mod(s) after its done!

Last edited by Bugger234; 01-25-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Typos... -.-
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Is the space similar to a B4? I mount mine under the front bulkhead. It takes some time with a knife or file but fits snug.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Since there is a differential case where you are putting yours, not really the same, yet similar. Flip the transponder perpendicular to the ground and stuck it where the gap in the shock tower is. That is the best way I can explain it.
B4 and B44 have very different fronts.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Tech Adept

just velcro it to the top of your servo,problem solved
Old 01-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Just 1 more, when your chassis and top plate snap clean off your transponder wire will be holding you car together for a split second before the wire gets completely hammered
Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cghomann
just velcro it to the top of your servo,problem solved
I hate using Velcro, and as stated in the first post, it is just a interesting way of doing it. Plus it is further foreward than ontop of the servo.

Originally Posted by Hopper99
Just 1 more, when your chassis and top plate snap clean off your transponder wire will be holding you car together for a split second before the wire gets completely hammered
This would require a tremoundous ammount of force. It would be very unlikely this would happen, even if I bashed, which I would never do in this car, let alone with that transponder in it as well. Let me just say this. I had a kid ram my b44 full speed into a brick wall, and the only thing that went wrong was the motor mount bent a bit. I don't think you have a B44, so this statement is invalid, because you don't know how it's built. If this were to happen, why wouldn't it happen right now? Titanium is stronger than carbon fiber...
Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a chassis will snap easier than you think.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hopper99
Originally Posted by slowguy2012
LOL , yeah this happens all the time with B44s !

Originally Posted by Bugger234
This would require a tremoundous ammount of force. It would be very unlikely this would happen, even if I bashed, which I would never do in this car, let alone with that transponder in it as well. Let me just say this. I had a kid ram my b44 full speed into a brick wall, and the only thing that went wrong was the motor mount bent a bit. I don't think you have a B44, so this statement is invalid, because you don't know how it's built. If this were to happen, why wouldn't it happen right now? Titanium is stronger than carbon fiber...
EXACTLY ! Too the O.P. I just used velcro and put it on the top plate , but there is also a spot down on the chassis , on the motor side that it would fit .
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slowguy2012
sure, I see b44 chassis snapping all the time..
Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

Well, hasn't happened to me yet, so I have high hopes.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Alright. We figured it out. And the only reason why I decided to put it here was because I have no room anywhere else. My B44 is packed full. Anywhere else would cause the wires to become entangled. So, here is the finnished product.

All we did was modify the hole in the front and add a clip over it with padding.

I hope you like it, and get a funny kick about the message on the strap. Oh, and we tested the strenght of the titanium strap, and we can pick up the whole car, and an extra 5lbs with it. It is not coming off.