Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
OK explain 1/10 scale Short course motors??? >

OK explain 1/10 scale Short course motors???

OK explain 1/10 scale Short course motors???

Reply

Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 371
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default OK explain 1/10 scale Short course motors???

1. What is KV and do I want it high or low and why?
2. What do you want for turns and why? What does this mean
3. Pro's and cons of brushless and brushed?
4. What do they mean by 550 motors?
5. This is for a Slash 4x4 and I'm sure it's more then 6 lbs!!! But this thread isn't intended to one over the other for rides...
skipnay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 PM
  #2  
Tech Master
iTrader: (66)
 
cnelson3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,213
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skipnay View Post
1. What is KV and do I want it high or low and why?
2. What do you want for turns and why? What does this mean
3. Pro's and cons of brushless and brushed?
4. What do they mean by 550 motors?
5. This is for a Slash 4x4 and I'm sure it's more then 6 lbs!!! But this thread isn't intended to one over the other for rides...
1. kv is rpm @ 1 volt. higher the kv, the faster the motor turns. what you want will vary.
2. turns: the lower the number the faster it is.
3. brushed doesn't really compare anymore. brushless is far less maintenance. brushed is just cheaper. (some people may argue but.... whatever)
4. 550 can motors are just larger motors. the "can" is longer as well as the rotor. this give the motor more torque. good for 4x4 sc but overkill for anything else.

My opinion, get a 550 can brushless motor and have fun.
ohhh... and a good battery.
cnelson3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM
  #3  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (100)
 
thecman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,839
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default

Well kv when discussing motors is generally referring to 550 motors or the next generation 540 motors that are 4 pole. The higher the kv the faster it will go at a given voltage 2S = 7.4v in this example a 4000kv will be slower than a 5000kv and so forth...

These are generally for 4WD SCT's as they require more motor to get them going. 2WD SCT tend to use the standard 540 motors since they are smaller and generally more regulated (ie 17.5t stock classes).

Any more unless you are running a box stock sct class (brushed) or a novice class most have swapped out to brushless in their rides, smoother power, more power, and it doesn't fade like brushed motors tend to do as they get hot. Same thing holds true for NiMH but thats another story altogether.

550 motors are just physically larger than "standard" 540 motors. The rotor is larger and the stator is larger allowing for more power to be generated. But they are quite a bit heavier so there is a trade off but in a 4WD SCT they are fantastic! Lots of power and they take a lot of abuse and hardly ever get hot.

I have a 4WD SCT and I have ran both, the 550 motor and currently a 4 pole 540 motor, and IMHO I liked both! That being said I have the 540 in the truck and the 550 motor is for sale!
thecman26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (100)
 
thecman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,839
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cnelson3 View Post
1. kv is rpm @ 1 volt. higher the kv, the faster the motor turns. what you want will vary.
2. turns: the lower the number the faster it is.
3. brushed doesn't really compare anymore. brushless is far less maintenance. brushed is just cheaper. (some people may argue but.... whatever)
4. 550 can motors are just larger motors. the "can" is longer as well as the rotor. this give the motor more torque. good for 4x4 sc but overkill for anything else.

My opinion, get a 550 can brushless motor and have fun.
ohhh... and a good battery.
+1 on what he said too! with emphasis on the bold and red! These trucks eat batteries, literally!
thecman26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 AM
  #5  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 371
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Batteries will probably 2s or even 3s but haven't decided for sure on the 3s. Do you get that much more run time or power out of one? Ok, if the 550 motor is heavier or heavy duty compared to the 540 are they still a 4 pole like the 540's?

Another quick set of questions... (You guys are great. I understand but at the same time I get more confused so this is why I'm asking my next set of questions.

1. What is the difference between sensorless and sensor? (why would I want either)
2. Why would someone want the Mamba Monster, SideWinder, and Mamba Max Pro?
3. How do you determine what motor and ESC do you want?
4. When you determine that what gearing do you choose with it? (spur, pinion, or both)
5. I know people change motors. Because I read that one guy does it here instead of changing the shocks because it's faster to change to the motor. Maybe he is just turning down the ESC.... Can you keep doing this without problems?
skipnay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:47 AM
  #6  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (100)
 
thecman26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 7,839
Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by skipnay View Post
Batteries will probably 2s or even 3s but haven't decided for sure on the 3s. Do you get that much more run time or power out of one? Ok, if the 550 motor is heavier or heavy duty compared to the 540 are they still a 4 pole like the 540's?

Another quick set of questions... (You guys are great. I understand but at the same time I get more confused so this is why I'm asking my next set of questions.

1. What is the difference between sensorless and sensor? (why would I want either)
2. Why would someone want the Mamba Monster, SideWinder, and Mamba Max Pro?
3. How do you determine what motor and ESC do you want?
4. When you determine that what gearing do you choose with it? (spur, pinion, or both)
5. I know people change motors. Because I read that one guy does it here instead of changing the shocks because it's faster to change to the motor. Maybe he is just turning down the ESC.... Can you keep doing this without problems?
No, 550 motors are 2 pole from my knowledge. Most tracks I know of run a 2S limit on 4WD SCT similar to ROAR rules. Sensor tells the esc the position of the rotor, and they tend to be much much smoother in their delivery of power but are more expensive. But IMHO sensored is the way to go! I would say out of the castle esc's the MMP (mamba pro) is the one to get since the MMM is sensorless only and the sidewinder is a lil on the weak side. How you choose what you want is only limited by your budget, how much are you willing to spend? When you pick a combo then post a ? on the thread asking for gearing help and most guys will shoot an answer to you quickly, its hard to tell you until you pick a motor and esc combo.
thecman26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
  #7  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 371
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Thats what I'm getting at. What motor and ESC. Budget? Anyone that has that nowadays has to much saved up.
skipnay is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service