Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is your current favorite 17.5 motor? >

What is your current favorite 17.5 motor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your current favorite 17.5 motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default What is your current favorite 17.5 motor?

For blinky 2wd buggy, small to medium high bite indoor track. It's time for a new motor for me and there's too many to choose from. I've been running the Trinity Revtech. Great RPM, would like a little more punch out of it. I see some guys doing well with the D4 1S and I'm really leaning that way. Is there any other motor I should be considering?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Subscribed to this thread as i would like to know also...
Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

I had both and they were great motors. The revtech killshot and the trinity D4 1S. If I ever race 17.5 again that will be my motors. I also owned tekin 17.5, trackstar 17.5 and speed passion 17.5. of the last three ill say the speed passion was the best of those three.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pickle311
For blinky 2wd buggy, small to medium high bite indoor track. It's time for a new motor for me and there's too many to choose from. I've been running the Trinity Revtech. Great RPM, would like a little more punch out of it. I see some guys doing well with the D4 1S and I'm really leaning that way. Is there any other motor I should be considering?
I heard good things of Shuur Speed motors.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I currently run the Killshot HT rotor and stator with a Hobbywing Juststock esc . Motor and esc run very strong and smooth. The motor and esc are by no means the reason for not winning a race........that's pilot error. Lol
Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Schuur Speed v3 select. Found a barely used on here on RC Tech and it's been dynamite.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

There's tons to pick from that for sure,

I don't think any of the current gen of 17.5's will let ya down, as they are all more than capable (albeit in the right hands). A lot will depend on what you want to use it in as to which one might be better for you to run, and the track size amongst a few other things.

List in no particular order,

Fantom FR-1
Trinity D4 series or based series
Tekin gen3
Reedy Mach3
Schuur Speed
Team Powers
Those are all pretty solid motors that I've seen
The new Trinity 24k is supposed to be better than the D4 was
The thing is to try and get the best setup to suit your needs, if money is tight, you don't have to go all crazy, as there's plenty that are cheaper and/or fine in stock form from the above list

I personally like a short stack stator paired up with a 12.5mm HT rotor for my cars especially in 2wd buggy. But like most things it's all,about preference. It might be helpful to consider running what some or most tend to run at the local track and do well with, that way if you have issues or need some help,with gearing/motor timing, they'd likely be able to help you.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I prefer the a Trinity D41S Certified.
I have the a 24k version really good motor, but not sold that it is better. In fact the D41S is lighter than the 24k (which boast 9 grams lighter).
Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Since you'll probably be running at THR I'd ask Vic Young, Grobe and some of the other fast guys what they run. Just FYI, the fastest stock motor won't help you one bit if you can't run clean lines. Just sayin'
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joel45acp
Since you'll probably be running at THR I'd ask Vic Young, Grobe and some of the other fast guys what they run. Just FYI, the fastest stock motor won't help you one bit if you can't run clean lines. Just sayin'
Absolutely true, but that being said, I have tried a few myself, like a D4(non short stack with HT rotor), Schurrspeed V3 & V3 sig. Edition & the newer Trackstar V2's, & I have to say I've been happiest with my V3 Sig. Ed., but the Trackstar is a VERY close second. My D4 has excellent top end, but feels a bit soft for torque, & it tends to run hotter than my others(though I think it has real potential in my touring car). The Trackstar has a LOT of torque, & top end still seems good, though it also runs a bit hotter than I'd like(though still within tolerance). And my Schurrspeeds seem pretty much equal in torque to the Trackstar, with slightly better top end, & best of all, they run significantly cooler than any of my other motors. under the same conditions & on the same track, I'd see my D4 hit about 165 degrees F in the course of a race, while the Trackstar gets to about 155, but my Shurrspeed stays at about 140(& can run that way for MUCH longer than any regular race length, I've run as long as 10-12 minutes & the temp never got above 140). So if you need the torque & want to run cool, I'd pick the Schurrspeed, but if you don't mind a bit extra heat & want to save some money, the Trackstar is the way to go( you can get them from Hobbyking for around $46, heck of a deal for how it performs)...
Old 02-04-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
I prefer the a Trinity D41S Certified.
I have the a 24k version really good motor, but not sold that it is better. In fact the D41S is lighter than the 24k (which boast 9 grams lighter).
Really!? I have the D4 and was just looking at the certified. I also came across the 24k and was intregued. I would like to hear more on your opinions of these.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I really like my Motiv motors! I have also heard good things about the new Reedy motors, just haven't had a reason to get one yet.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

I've used most of the motors mentioned above and they are all good. I really like all the Trinity D4 1S motors. If I was to just pick one that's what I'd get....maybe a 24k. Having said that I can also attest to the fact that the new Fantom motor is blazing fast.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Would like to know more about Motiv motors.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Motiv motors are great! The only way I could really describe it would be that it feels like a D3.5, but more punch and more top end. I've had the M3 motors and D4's, and both felt like they were missing something. Motiv Motors have it all. More common in on road right now than off road, but people will soon catch on :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.