Cost of Entry Fees getting out of control >

Cost of Entry Fees getting out of control

Cost of Entry Fees getting out of control

Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cnelson3 View Post
i thought about that as well. the bigger anything is the more expensive it gets. I haven't been to cactus but i hear it's fun but u fly through tires and even chassis'. but then again if all 500 entries only ran 1 class, the total race entry revenue would be $47,500. This doesn't include the parts, tires, etc that people will pick up there.
Originally Posted by henry View Post
That's a very good point about all the extra money they'll make off of parts. Even with all the sponsored guys I'm sure stock will be flying off the shelves.

I wouldn't pay $100 to race but if it's that popular that they can even thing of charging that then so be it I guess.
You forgot something. Unless there's a buncha Traxxas vehicles being raced, not a whole lot of parts will be flying off of a HobbyTown shelf.

Originally Posted by Chuck 21 View Post
Adam is a friend of mine and I also took offence to the post about him.

You pretty well some'd up how I feel so I'll just leave it at that"

Thanks"
Uhmmmm, you took offense, and it's summed up...
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
To everyone, lets leave the name calling and accusations of characters out of this discussion. This is about the race itself.
+1

Look guys I didn't start this thread to put any individual down.
I ave been in and out of the sport for 20+ years now. At the start of last year I decided to try and take it farther than just club racing, I went to bigger races, I purchased a local track with the intent to take it to the next level as well.
As a track owner and operator I analyze the "cost and effect" if set to low of price I loose money IE the track looses, too High and no attendance and track still looses. At ALL my "BIG" events "3 per year" we have either Trophies not plastic plaques or cash prizes as well as a raffle that every entry gets a ticket (last year over $3000 in raffle prizes) and I still made good money. Last years cactus- no raffle, got a shirt, plastic trophies.
but I was okay with paying $65 for entry into a bigger race.

All that being said I am glad to see every ones opinions they ALL count!!
FYI I will NOT be attending this years event due to cost I will instead be attending hotrod and a few other races
Old 01-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry View Post
LOL dude, look at that and think about the numbers. If they sold 500 entries at 95 a pop thats 47,500.00. Obviously we know it won't be that much because second entry is cheaper. So lets knock off say 10k for that. That's still 37,000.00 that the track is going to make for the race LOL.

37,000.00 to let people run on their track. Not to mention how much they make off of tires, consumables, concessions (if any).

Damn I need to open a track and do this!!!!!
What does the cost of the second class have to do with his calculations of the total amount of entries??? IF 500 entries are there, that's still 47500. That's IF there are 500 entries and IF those entries only race ONE class. Some guys race two even three classes.

Furthermore, are the concessions going to be provided by the track??? I do not know of a track, at least in the states that can provide food for that many people. How about some hot dog vendors or any vendor of food that will show up at the track??? You think they'd show up and just sell there w/out being asked to pay a fee to the track??? That's big money right there. I am willing to bet that each vendor will gladly pay the track 1000 bucks just for the privilege to sell there for the duration of the event. Let's say 5 vendors. That's another 5 grand right there. 52.5k bank right there.

What is more shocking is that NOT ONE single manufacturer or driver came forward and stood up for the hobbyist against shit like this. Let one come forward and I will become a lifetime member. It's mindsets like this and the sheep that follow that keep the hobby on the forefront of the more expensive hobbies and allow manufacturers and tracks like this to set prices and further drive other people away. Keep doing it and you'll see your favorite driver 20 years from now on the same cover of the same magazine sporting some nice gray hair..........but that magazine will be only 10 pages....

You guys forget that it's NOT them that set the prices, IT'S us, by us I mean the sheeple. W/out us, these guys will not be able to charge what they charge for an event/product and advances in tech related to the hobby will seize to exist. WE set the price, not them.

IN SHORT, VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I am sure the cost covers renting the venue, announcer fee, and also any prizes that may be given. I agree 100 in steep but it's not the end of the world
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
What does the cost of the second class have to do with his calculations of the total amount of entries??? IF 500 entries are there, that's still 47500. That's IF there are 500 entries and IF those entries only race ONE class. Some guys race two even three classes.

Furthermore, are the concessions going to be provided by the track??? I do not know of a track, at least in the states that can provide food for that many people. How about some hot dog vendors or any vendor of food that will show up at the track??? You think they'd show up and just sell there w/out being asked to pay a fee to the track??? That's big money right there. I am willing to bet that each vendor will gladly pay the track 1000 bucks just for the privilege to sell there for the duration of the event. Let's say 5 vendors. That's another 5 grand right there. 52.5k bank right there.

What is more shocking is that NOT ONE single manufacturer or driver came forward and stood up for the hobbyist against shit like this. Let one come forward and I will become a lifetime member. It's mindsets like this and the sheep that follow that keep the hobby on the forefront of the more expensive hobbies and allow manufacturers and tracks like this to set prices and further drive other people away. Keep doing it and you'll see your favorite driver 20 years from now on the same cover of the same magazine sporting some nice gray hair..........but that magazine will be only 10 pages....

You guys forget that it's NOT them that set the prices, IT'S us, by us I mean the sheeple. W/out us, these guys will not be able to charge what they charge for an event/product and advances in tech related to the hobby will seize to exist. WE set the price, not them.

IN SHORT, VOTE WITH YOUR WALLET.
because you know that there won't be 500 solo entries, therefore figure 75% of the people will run 2 classes (which are cheaper)

The point wasn't to argue over the amount of entries or the amount of money. It was to draw attention to the fact that some tracks don't make that much in a year and offer much more to their racers.

This race = silly.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you dont like the price then dont show up...if you can buy a buggy or truck and races a season and maintain it the whole year you should easily be able to pay the entry fees...seriously dont complain
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

OK, so...$145 if you want to race two classes?

Big deal. If you're going to a big race, especially one this big, that's a drop in the bucket. What, another $75 over what the entry fees were? $75...how much you paying in gas?

It's 1800 miles for ThunderbirdJunkie to get to Phoenix. 1800/18=100 gallons, one way. $700 in gas.

So, at best it's a $1000 weekend if ThunderbirdJunkie went (he won't).

Flying? $500 round trip-ish, plus $100ish to ship the gear seperately, and another $100 to ship it back (NOT trusting RC gear to an airline, TYVM.) Still $600, plus lodging, food...still a $1000 weekend.

Then probably another $100 at the bar trying to drink Big Daddy under the table.

What's the big deal about a $100/45 race fee? A lot of you saying things about how it's horrible for a track/hobby shop to make big money?

Seriously, how many really profitable tracks are there? God forbid there be a few in the entire world.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

The upcoming Reedy Race of Champions at West Coast R/C Raceway next week was and is considered to be one of the most prestigious race for 1/10 2wd and 4wd modified buggy racing.... $100 per class - $200 for both classes and you HAVE to race against sponsored and or factory drivers.

BUT!!! You get a full set of front and rear tires and foams for each class!!! Last year the race was $80 and no tires....so for $20 extra we get $40 in tires/foams.

$95 to race and you dont get anything out of it but some track time does seem to be a bit much, especially for an outdoor track that more than likely doesnt have the overhead of an indoor track. They are having Scotty Ernst announce, so they have to pay him to be there.

And why are they having a 13.5 class? I think they're the only track in the country that still races that class in club racing

The last Cactus I went to was in 2008....wanted to go this year but I may have to pass, not because I dont want to pay the entry fee (not that I want too either) , but because I cant afford to.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Initiate

for those of you of dont have an issues with the pricing increase... i understand most of your points... but what you arent seemingly thinking about is "where will this end?" in one year 60% increase whats the increase going to be next year. i agree with you all that the shops/track owners are in business to make money, and i gladly support them (travel to race) but the love of the hobby should speak heavily. look at whats happened in the hobby, classes dying off, others came close to it, far less shops/tracks nationwide.... why do you think that is... lack of commitment by the patrons and lack of commitment to the patrons/racers... we'll see what some of you say next year when the price jumps again because you dont express a problem with the steep increase! i understand inflation and the cost of doing business.... but lets not get carried away
Old 01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
OK, so...$145 if you want to race two classes?

Big deal. If you're going to a big race, especially one this big, that's a drop in the bucket. What, another $75 over what the entry fees were? $75...how much you paying in gas?

It's 1800 miles for ThunderbirdJunkie to get to Phoenix. 1800/18=100 gallons, one way. $700 in gas.

So, at best it's a $1000 weekend if ThunderbirdJunkie went (he won't).

Flying? $500 round trip-ish, plus $100ish to ship the gear seperately, and another $100 to ship it back (NOT trusting RC gear to an airline, TYVM.) Still $600, plus lodging, food...still a $1000 weekend.

Then probably another $100 at the bar trying to drink Big Daddy under the table.

What's the big deal about a $100/45 race fee? A lot of you saying things about how it's horrible for a track/hobby shop to make big money?

Seriously, how many really profitable tracks are there? God forbid there be a few in the entire world.

I see your side too BUT....

when do you say enough is enough? Its 30 or so dollars this year per class more, yeah its a drop in the bucket but it all adds up. I feel right now the economy has made allot of people reevaluate what they can charge and the service they previously provided. I can see things getting slowly more and more expensive due to inflation. I cant cant see why the price has gone up so much in one year. Like previously stated the REEDY race is this weekend and they entry is cheaper and you are in one of the best indoor facilities there is period. I know some will say "just dont go" which I wont just due to the fact that I was on the fence about going in the first place.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teambcw View Post
I see your side too BUT....

when do you say enough is enough? Its 30 or so dollars this year per class more, yeah its a drop in the bucket but it all adds up. I feel right now the economy has made allot of people reevaluate what they can charge and the service they previously provided. I can see things getting slowly more and more expensive due to inflation. I cant cant see why the price has gone up so much in one year. Like previously stated the REEDY race is this weekend and they entry is cheaper and you are in one of the best indoor facilities there is period. I know some will say "just dont go" which I wont just due to the fact that I was on the fence about going in the first place.
ThunderbirdJunkie isn't going...but then again...he didn't go last year, or ten years ago, or even when he lived in Phoenix.

While yes, it's a ridiculous race fee, the last thing we should be complaining about is a track actually MAKING MONEY one weekend a year. That's a horrible thing to complain about, especially considering nowhere on this forum was anybody complaining when Associated's tooling was packed up and shipped to China in order for them to make money, y'know?
There's some really messed up priorities in racing, both toy cars and real cars, that's for sure.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
ThunderbirdJunkie isn't going...but then again...he didn't go last year, or ten years ago, or even when he lived in Phoenix.

While yes, it's a ridiculous race fee, the last thing we should be complaining about is a track actually MAKING MONEY one weekend a year. That's a horrible thing to complain about, especially considering nowhere on this forum was anybody complaining when Associated's tooling was packed up and shipped to China in order for them to make money, y'know?
There's some really messed up priorities in racing, both toy cars and real cars, that's for sure.
I know people have to make money but I am just saying in todays economy people want/need/expect more for there money. I am not saying its right or wrong just have to look at the people that wont be going due to the price increase. Will that be enough to offset the price of people saying no thanks?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If this guy has any sense he probably gets sponsor dollars as well. In essence, he is making a lot of money. I don't have a problem with that, but I hope he understands that entries will diminish exponentially with high fees.

If the owner/promoter wants to do something for the racers... get with the top manufacturers and work out a deal to sell quality products at 40-50% discounts to racers.... Are you listening JConcepts (Great Co), AKA, Associated, Losi, Serpent, and so many more............

If my idea comes to fruition I want to be paid with a new set of tires....
Old 01-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Prices are getting waaaaay too high. events held in our local area are 10/20 for club and 25/50 for special events. I thought the 20 for a club race was getting up there and the special events at 25/50 were too much too. The 25 isnt bad for a good cause but the 50 seemed high. And that's half the price of the cactus.
The special events for 50 did not have a good turn of because it was only a few good racers battling for the cash prize. Everyone who didn't think they had a chance didn't show up. The same thing happened in a point series with a prize. A few weeks into it many dropped out because they had no chance of winning.
The thing with the 95 is that if you are willing to fly to he event and book a hotel and spend a lot on tires then there is a good chance that an extra 100 more than you would pay at an other event wouldn't be noticed much.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Wow, this was a big read this morning.....

This is a huge double edged sword for me and here is why. I am a capitalist and I love our free economy first and foremost, therefore, if they can profit and survive, then that is where my first interest lies because I have always tried to support tracks, etc... No tracks = no racing.

OK, now for the other side which is more personal. From a Caster Racing standpoint, seeing this makes me think of 2 things.

1.) They obviously do not need support from companies such as free kits, tires, etc.... charging that kind of money.

2.) We can't afford to send any of our guys to run it, especially if the big boys show up and we are in the B main. Even if the top 10 guys are names that are recognizable, unless a miracle happens, there is no advantage to us from a sales perspective even showing up. This probably applies to several other companies who are small and trying to grow.

Now, the question becomes time vs dollars. If you have 250 people show up and run 2 classes, you get x amount of time. Now lets say you cut the price exactly in half and 500 people show up and run 2 classes. Well, your costs increase and the amount of time it takes doubles. However, you have twice as many people there and more potential parts sales, more food sales, and more people who might come back, and even more spectators.

Of course, in Iowa, land ranges from $3000 to 150,000 per acre. Maybe we are on the wrong side of the rc market selling cars and parts..... I know how to run a skidloader and I was an active ATV motocrosser for 20 years......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.