Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RC8e Help please !!! >

RC8e Help please !!!

RC8e Help please !!!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

Default RC8e Help please !!!

So i posted this on the rockie portion of the forum since im new here but havent gotten any responce.

So anyways i just picked up a RC8e this past weekend i was not sure on the model. I was told its a first gen RC8 but im not sure. anyways i also wanted to know if some of the parts are upgrades. i noticed the shock towers look to be carbon fiber so i think there upgraded but im not sure. also had a question on the shock oil weight to use. Im planning on racing it at the track and wanted to know what weight oil to use. anyways any other upgrades you guys can think of that i could use i would really apreciate it. thanks. PS I usually Bash in My revo 3.3 but not i want to get into the tracks and racing so im fairly new to tracking. any help would be great. thanks guys. anyways heres some pictures of my new buggy i picked up on Craigs List.

Mamba Monster ESC with castle 2650 motor.

One more thing can you guys maybe show me a diagram or something of the spots i want to lube up with oil, like diferential and all that stuff. thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Looks like you indeed have an RC8Be with some upgrade parts.

Your best bet for setup and maintenance info is going to be straight from the manufacturer:

http://teamassociated.com/cars_and_t...anuals_setups/

Start with the basic setup as described in the manual, and change it from there as required by your track and driving style. Practice and the right tires are going to be your best upgrades (in that order). For the latter, ask the locals.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

I was kinda thinking that at first but i noticed most of the BE have the aluminum shock towers ?? So then i was kinda figuring a regular RC8 with elec. conv. But hu i guess they could have just changed the shock towers.

Thanks for the reply. Any advice on the shock oil ??
Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

It's kinda tough to tell from the pics, but it doesn't look like the car started as a RC8Be. The A-plate (front-most lower suspension pivot pin holder) and steering brace look to be the black versions of parts from other models, not the machined blue anodized parts that came with the RC8Be FT kit. The carbon-fiber shock towers could be from the original RC8 nitro kit. But these cars are like Legos, and who knows how the previous owner mixed-and-matched parts.

Check out the RC8Be thread for more info on the kit configuration, and you might be able to figure out where your car started (and ended up):

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...be-thread.html

As far as shock oil weight, this is going to depend upon a lot of factors (the pistons that are used in your shocks, your preferred spring rates, driving style, track conditions, etc.). 30W is a good starting point IMO.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

rc8 not a b
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

It has a 1rst gen front tower , but the rear looks like a B tower . It has the updated upper front a arms as well .
Old 01-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by toyota 2jz
rc8 not a b
+1
it does have the rear truggy shock tower though
this is not an 8b

go with 5-5-5 in diffs

for the winter
32.2 F shock
37.5 rear
go heavier during hotter months
Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

ok cool thanks guys for the info. So if i wanted to do good upgrades to it would i want to go with the rc8b shock towers ?? and should i take apart the diferentials and oil them ??? What should i dod to make sure its at its best ??
Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D3mOnIcRc8e
ok cool thanks guys for the info. So if i wanted to do good upgrades to it would i want to go with the rc8b shock towers ?? and should i take apart the diferentials and oil them ??? What should i dod to make sure its at its best ??
always tear it down to learn and check on levels.
I personally would skip the 8B towers and go with the 8.2 towers
you will need new f/r a-arms, new shock shafts and shock mount hardware.
Incrementally more money but drastically better buggy.
Eventually you will want the other stuff that goes into the full 8.2 but you can do that over time
Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

That was going to be my next question.

What shock towers are best the RC8BE or the RC8.2 ???

One shop by my house has the Shock tower replacement Kit RC8.2 Does the kit include everything i need ??

Last edited by D3mOnIcRc8e; 01-20-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Why would i need new shock shafts and shock mount hardware.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Prophet

I would go with the Rc8be upgrades but if i was you i whould keep the carbon towers even though they dont have the extra tuning holes that the alum towers have but it will keep the weight down .

Just glue around the edges on the carbon towers with a q tip or a swab.
to prevent splitting.

The shock towers that are best are likely the RC8B.2

I think the RC8B.2 upgrade kit includes everything it should.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

My sincere advice is that you do not start by replacing properly-functioning parts. Tear the buggy down, freshen the diffs with new fluid, and get some new oil in the shocks. Replace anything that is bent or broken. Set up the car with the factory-recommended setup as it goes back together. Get the right tires on it. Then hit the track. Don't touch anything until you have specific concerns that you want to address. Make those changes one at a time, and verify that the expected results were achieved before going on to make other changes.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eric Bryant
My sincere advice is that you do not start by replacing properly-functioning parts. Tear the buggy down, freshen the diffs with new fluid, and get some new oil in the shocks. Replace anything that is bent or broken. Set up the car with the factory-recommended setup as it goes back together. Get the right tires on it. Then hit the track. Don't touch anything until you have specific concerns that you want to address. Make those changes one at a time, and verify that the expected results were achieved before going on to make other changes.
+1, Best advice yet.

I bought an NIB RC8 roller, mainly for the nitro parts. I have a RC8B that had been converted to electric, that I wanted to return to nitro duty. Instead of buying all the parts, I found a RC8 roller cheap.

Long story short, I now run the RC8 w/ the electric conversion at my local indoor track. I haven't touched 1 thing on the buggy, other than installing the electrics, no diffs, no shocks, no nothing.

With no changes, this thing rocks. SUper plush, easy to drive and super consistent. I'm a decent "club" racer, slower but consistent, and I do pretty well w it.

1 thing, that motor is going to be a handful!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

OK thanks Guys, So far i have placed on order a new body, So that i can fit the 4 s lipo under it, also new shock tower bulk heads and bushings. my tires are pretty deacent and i have since went on C list and picked up about 10 sets of other tires, so i can change them out and see what works best. I have already changed the shock Oil ( first thing i did ) but i used 50 weight, So im planing on changing it out again for what you guys have said and do 35 in front and 30 on the rear. also planing on lubing up the dif.'s and all that stuff.

So when it comes to the A Arms are the RC8B better than the .2 or the .2 are better ones ??? Can you run the .2 shock towers with the RC8b a Arms ??
Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Sp I got part number 89491 witch is the towers and arms, i dont think that the Sway bar kit that my currently has is going to work. Do i need to change out the sway bar kit also ??? and do i need new caster blocks since its telling me to trim the caster blocks ????

Can i just run the towers with the A Arms i have ther now ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.