What Method Do You Use Changing Diff Oils >

What Method Do You Use Changing Diff Oils

Like Tree6Likes

What Method Do You Use Changing Diff Oils

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What Method Do You Use Changing Diff Oils

Im curious how people go about removing the old oils from diffs when you want to change to a new weight. Do you just tip it out and leave all the parts still coated and tip in the new stuff to mix with it, or do you give each individual part a clean? How do you go about that?

Its a crappy job, I hate doing it so any tips to make it easier are welcome.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Ugh, my least favorite thing. Dump it all out, tear down the diff completely, soak all metal in degreaser, and all plastic in simple green, either overnight, or until all crud is gone. Rinse it all off, reassemble, and fill. I mean it's not that bad, but that's how I do it. It's just not exactly fast. It's probably overkill, but that's my personal mehtod.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Pull the diff out, I remove the internals and put them on a clean rag, use a couple of q-tips to get the old oil out and then spray a little motor/ carb/ brake clean to finish it off. Then a quick spary on the internals. As I reassemble, I install the gears first and then fill it with oil. rotate the one out drive to help get the bubbles out ( it take a little while when using anything highr that 7K). Let it sit for a few then top it off and seal it up.
Diffs are messy no matter how you do it. I do mine the 1st and 3rd week of the month and the shocks the 2nd and 4th week durring the heavy summer racing months.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I just pull all of the parts and wipe them with a cotton towel. You can leave the gears, blocks and shims on the cross pins if you hold the pins by the ends while you roll the gears between your fingers. The sun gears and cases just get a quick wipe and 99% of the old oil is gone.
ZEe_NYC and jpcopeland1 like this.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Sometimes just a quik refill and every so often a total clean out
Old 01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Pretty much how I do it. Sometimes I'll go whole hog and bust out the dawn and a toothbrush if the diff failed in spectacular fashion. If not just a quick wipe I find gets almost everything out.

Some diffs are easier than others. My Hyper TT's are a breeze while the ones in my Revo (and MERV for that matter...) I'd almost buy new ones....almost. such a pain!

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
I just pull all of the parts and wipe them with a cotton towel. You can leave the gears, blocks and shims on the cross pins if you hold the pins by the ends while you roll the gears between your fingers. The sun gears and cases just get a quick wipe and 99% of the old oil is gone.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

For quick at the track oil changes I just dump the oil and wipe off as much as possible.

At home I have a neat tool that started life as a tea infuser- basically a hinged mesh ball that I can put parts into and briskly swish it around in a jar of mineral spirits. (Old pickle jars work well) I have another jar with acetone for a final rinse that leaves everything dry and film free. For the diff case I wipe it out, brush the small crevices out with a small paint brush (with shortened bristles) and blow it off with motor spray. Check/replace orings and reassemble.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Prophet

I just take everything apart in the diffs and sit aside the o-rings and put the gears and diff cup into a container and spray white lighting degreaser on them and let it soak than whipe it off than spray simple green on it wipe it off again bam all the old oil is off .

Jerm: I asked somebody on here about if i need to get all the air bubbles out of the diff oil and the person told me on here not to worry about it because if you have no air in the diff oil it will break down unexpectly ? When i fill my diffs up with oil i do let them sit to settle so i know that gets the air out also.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Yeah no need to have all air bubbles out in a diff. Most manuals recommend diffs be filled only upto wetting all the planetary gears so probably a ~0.75 mm air void. I let mine settle down quicker by spinning the cup side outdrives.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default buy this

I really thought someone was gonne mention this.
You'll thank me after the first time.

http://www.gmksupply.com/html/gmk0112.html
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have the GMK diff dunker and a jar of naptha. I'll usually pull the gears out, and clean them, then mix in some low viscosity shock oil to thin the fluid then dump it out and whisk everything in the Naptha. It takes forever. I may try the soaking method, but it would be nice if there was a quick and simple way that I could clean 3 diffs in 10 minutes. The diff dunker works well, but I wish it were larger, usually takes 2-3 "loads" to clean a diff.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMorgan
I have the GMK diff dunker and a jar of naptha. I'll usually pull the gears out, and clean them, then mix in some low viscosity shock oil to thin the fluid then dump it out and whisk everything in the Naptha. It takes forever. I may try the soaking method, but it would be nice if there was a quick and simple way that I could clean 3 diffs in 10 minutes. The diff dunker works well, but I wish it were larger, usually takes 2-3 "loads" to clean a diff.
Automatic trans fluid flush chemical in a small jar....drop in all diff parts....shake it up and soak for 5 mins and clean as new
Old 01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrobeast
I really thought someone was gonne mention this.
You'll thank me after the first time.

http://www.gmksupply.com/html/gmk0112.html
That's not such a bad idea.

They have things like that for making tea. I'm sure Target or Walmart or Bed Bath and Beyond have a bunch of things similar to that.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Disassemble, wipe most of it off, diff dunker into Naptha. Way easier then the other ways. Though, I used to just hose it all down with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, that did a good job too.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Turn upside down in a container for a minute. Take the air compressor to the rest. All while leaving the parts in the diff. I have the tried the naptha method and I am not convinced it's breaking down the oils any better. This air compressor method is much faster.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.