Durango DEX408 or Serpent 811-BE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Durango DEX408 or Serpent 811-BE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Front end wise the serpent is some more work to get to the diff.

otherwise they will be about equal to work on.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Tech Elite

i tore my buddy down to bar chassic and had all 3 diff out in 25 mins last night when i prep my car for the midwest champs. yes i used a drill but who does not these days.

the cars been golden ever time i sit on the track i could not ask for a better car.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Go with the DEX408. With Hobbico acquiring Team Durango parts availability will only get better. The problem is that most of these small start-ups have the engineering and technical expertise, but don't have the product management or business background to run the business and operations. With Hobbico, TD can now focus on what they do best and let Hobbico handle the manufacturing, distribution, etc of those products.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

serpent have been making cars longer than many of us have been alive.

spares arent an issue as not much brakes on the serpent.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Serpent 811Be

Pros'
  • Very tough
  • Nice integrated wiring and good protections of the RX and Speedo
  • Easier to work on (can remove all electronics with 5 screws)
  • Parts quality is very good
  • Lower and more centered CG then the Durango
  • Superior Sway Bar design
  • Easier to build
  • Less Pins to fly out (center cvd pins are captured)
Cons'
  • Expensive
  • Battery tray is limiting (batteries have to meet certain size, but they are not going anywhere either)

Durango DEX408

Pros
  • Less expensive
  • Less restriction on battery size
  • Parts quality is good, but slightly less then the Serpent
Cons
Higher CG
  • IMO harder to work on and clean, have to basically remove the esc, then the servo, then the motor, etc to get the electronics out. Diffs are a little easier to get to on the Durango
  • Old fashioned sway bar design
  • Electronics and wires are more exposed
  • Center CVD pins are not captured

This is all my opinion and may differ from others. All of this can be thrown out the window if for some reason the Durango comes out and somehow I can shave time off my laps, then suddenly the cons mean nothing! I held off buying the Serpent until I was what Durango had to offer, then once I saw it I went with the Serpent.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ok i will go with the serpent what should i buy with it as in shock pistons springs etc parts that wear since this car will be raced and practiced with every 2 weeks and im pretty much going to buy everything i need for one year of racing in one order.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HotBodiesVe8Boy
ok i will go with the serpent what should i buy with it as in shock pistons springs etc parts that wear since this car will be raced and practiced with every 2 weeks and im pretty much going to buy everything i need for one year of racing in one order.
I would take this discussion to the Serpent thread. A lot of your questions will have already been answered there.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by netmaster
Serpent 811Be

Pros'
  • Very tough
  • Nice integrated wiring and good protections of the RX and Speedo
  • Easier to work on (can remove all electronics with 5 screws)
  • Parts quality is very good
  • Lower and more centered CG then the Durango
  • Superior Sway Bar design
  • Easier to build
  • Less Pins to fly out (center cvd pins are captured)
Cons'
  • Expensive
  • Battery tray is limiting (batteries have to meet certain size, but they are not going anywhere either)

Durango DEX408

Pros
  • Less expensive
  • Less restriction on battery size
  • Parts quality is good, but slightly less then the Serpent
Cons
Higher CG
  • IMO harder to work on and clean, have to basically remove the esc, then the servo, then the motor, etc to get the electronics out. Diffs are a little easier to get to on the Durango
  • Old fashioned sway bar design
  • Electronics and wires are more exposed
  • Center CVD pins are not captured

This is all my opinion and may differ from others. All of this can be thrown out the window if for some reason the Durango comes out and somehow I can shave time off my laps, then suddenly the cons mean nothing! I held off buying the Serpent until I was what Durango had to offer, then once I saw it I went with the Serpent.
I don't share all that you've said but it's a good comparison. I would add that the DEX408 is lighter than the Serpent, around 200g less. It might not bother most people but for those like me who prefer a light buggy(if you're used to one you can tell the difference), it's something to keep in mind.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

anyone else have any feed back on this topic? I plan on buying one of these in the next few weeks and i cant decide which one to go with. i saw one of the 811be's running out at the track and was really impressed. I like the overall electronics layout and the configuration of the DEX408 better but i am a little leery about buying a relatively new brandname that was just bought out buy a bigger company, i would hate to buy a buggy and then the company stop making spare parts for it.

also can anyone speak to the aftermarket support for these buggy's?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

You don't need aftermarket support because the OEM equipment is done right from the get go. I have owned the 811be and I highly reccomend it. I am currently in the market for another one and would choose it over the DEX simply for the fact that it's fully bad ass looking. I mean it's called the COBRA! It actually has a chassis that is shaped like a cobra as a small and unique bonus to consider. The DEX-408 is nice though.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chirivita
I would add that the DEX408 is lighter than the Serpent, around 200g less. It might not bother most people but for those like me who prefer a light buggy(if you're used to one you can tell the difference), it's something to keep in mind.
I was reasearching the 408 until I found out it's about 100g heavier than my MBX6 Eco. And the Serpent is 200g heavier than the 408? No thanks.

Both of these buggy's are on the heavy side which is a major issue with E-Scale.

Switching from a relatively heavy RC8BE to a relatively light MBX6 was a revelation to me. I'm not looking to backwards buying a car that weighs that much more out of the box.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

The 811BE weighs appr. 200g more than the Mugen Eco.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ed237
I was reasearching the 408 until I found out it's about 100g heavier than my MBX6 Eco. And the Serpent is 200g heavier than the 408? No thanks.

Both of these buggy's are on the heavy side which is a major issue with E-Scale.

Switching from a relatively heavy RC8BE to a relatively light MBX6 was a revelation to me. I'm not looking to backwards buying a car that weighs that much more out of the box.
sure not let get out the scale and see who car is more ballanced and how much better it is on the track
Old 01-27-2012, 03:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237

im sorry but if you think your mugen is on par with either a durango or a serpent you are wrong. Parts wise Serpent remains the best, Durango is nice but not as nice as Serpent, Who would own a car that has Eco in its name? :L just saying
Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 AM
LT
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am replacing my Xray 808e with either the 408 or the 811 and personally don't think either one is truely better than the other. My decision was made to go with the 408 becuase of more flexibility in batteries, and on the cost and availability of parts. After buying Xray parts for the last year Durango parts are flat out cheap and available from my local shop. I also believe that durango has made a step in the right direction by getting some stonger finacial backing, and have no way to go but up from here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.