Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
My Finished Mint Boxart Losi JR-X2 5-Link Circa 1988 - 1989 >

My Finished Mint Boxart Losi JR-X2 5-Link Circa 1988 - 1989

My Finished Mint Boxart Losi JR-X2 5-Link Circa 1988 - 1989

Old 01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default My Finished Mint Boxart Losi JR-X2 5-Link Circa 1988 - 1989

Ok, so it's not 100% done, as I haven't finished the wiring quite yet, but I figured it was pretty close, and it was time to throw together a few pictures of the car. This was quite a project for me, mainly in locating 100% NIP original pieces for the car. Thanks to Rich Truijo for supplying me with some of the items for this car. Here are some of the details:

-The car was built in 89 at sat on a shelf ever since. It has never been wired or run.
-The turnbuckles are a set of titanium buckles. I am looking for some NIP originals to replace them with
-The body is an original shell painted by Jim @ WED. (winning edge designs) Even though im good with an airbrush myself, I couldn't get myself to touch this original shell and risk messing it up.
-I hope to swap out the stock motor for the yellow label mod motor, to better match the box. I have to find a mint cond one to use.
-The batteries are NIP 1400 SCR Nicd cells. Thanks Bob over at stormer for these!
-I'm still torn on how to wire up the rest of the car.

Pictures!

A picture for reference, a picture of the box:

Last edited by Cpt.America; 01-06-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

So clean Cpt......... Tip of the hat my friend.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The batteries aren't right. You need yellow cell 1200 SCR's to really get period correct. I would not take the Technacraft tie rods off, the stock ones were a DNF waiting to happen, they might not be box art, but they are period correct.

And not to be a buzzkill, what you have is/was my first race car waaaay back in the day. Any fluff track I see these days my first inclination is still "four rows?"
Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
The batteries aren't right. You need yellow cell 1200 SCR's to really get period correct.

And not to be a buzzkill, what you have is/was my first race car waaaay back in the day.
Thanks for the compliments, but nope.. 1400s were it in 1988-1889. I was there, and it is what we all ran in our X2s.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

that sure beats the hell outta any box art RC10 , no wonder I switched and never went back. I still have mine but it's not new. On yours it looks like Gils name is painted, if you do another one lmk I have several sheets of og decals including the lettering sheets from autographics which spell out his name.
Funny thing is I just went through it to run vintage class and was staring at the box thinking about painting a 22 that way.
Beautiful.......

and yea, I still have those batteries and they run like a champ even now
Old 01-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

I raced one of these as well. I think I left it in an attic in running condition with a JRX Pro at a bachelor pad I lived in 10 years ago. Wish I still had it.

+1 on the red SCR's, yellow SC1200's weren't being used at this time. 1700SCE's came out another two years or so. Jack Johnson changed things by winning nats on 6 1400SCR's and something like a 9-turn? That was after they stopped using the 5-link rear end.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

IIRC, SCR cells were never yellow, SC cells were.

All my SCR's both 1200 and 1400's were red, and was running SCR's before the JR was out.

typo in the post maybe?."yellow 1200 SCR's"

I would want a pic to prove me wrong.

Cpt. A, hands down one of the nicest looking vintage JR's I've seen!

Last edited by racer1812; 01-07-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by racer1812
IIRC, SCR cells were never yellow, SC cells were.
All my SCR's both 1200 and 1400's were red, and was running SCR's before the JR was out.
typo in the post maybe?."yellow 1200 SCR's"
Cpt. A, hands down one of the nicest looking vintage JR's I've seen!
Thanks guys! The 1200s that were yellow were SCE cells. The SCRs came out just before the x2 I believe, I think 1987, but I can't for the life of me find any kind of historic time line.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Cpt, fantastic car. That will make any shelf proud to hold it for display.

Love the X2, picked mine up from Ranch the day they were released to the public. Wish I would have kept that car. Glad I recently picked up an X2 survivor to run at the local track, they are still a blast to race.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Thanks guys! The 1200s that were yellow were SCE cells. The SCRs came out just before the x2 I believe, I think 1987, but I can't for the life of me find any kind of historic time line.
SCE was 1700 mah, I am sure if this. The yellow 1200 was SC.

I do recall having 1200 SCR's when the JRX2 was released.

I wish they'd revisit the 5-link. It had the best grip and rough track handling at the time, if they figured out how to retain the steering? lookout! I really liked the telescoping drive shafts too.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Davidka
SCE was 1700 mah, I am sure if this. The yellow 1200 was SC.

I do recall having 1200 SCR's when the JRX2 was released.

I wish they'd revisit the 5-link. It had the best grip and rough track handling at the time, if they figured out how to retain the steering? lookout! I really liked the telescoping drive shafts too.
Yeah, you may be right with the SC vs SCEs. I liked the drive shafts too! Maybe outdrives would last longer
Old 01-07-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That car belongs in the Smithsonian! Beautiful job.

I bought my JRX in 1988 when it came out. I still have the car that it evolved into. As far as correct batteries for the period, SC, SCR or SCE would be appropriate. 6 cells with a stock motor or 7 cells with a modified motor. SC and SCE packs were both yellow. The different was the writing. SC cells had black writing but SCE cells had blue writing. SCR cells were red. All were used back then. Cell orientation is also a non issue as there were multiple orientations. For the stock motor that is in it right now, in race form a 6 cell SCR pack is perfect. Wire it up with the old red 4 pin Deans plugs. Some people would direct solder the esc wires to the motor although I would use Deans on the motor as well wired up in a way that I could plug the battery directly into the motor if I wanted to. Not that I wanted to.

If you want to switch out to a yellow sticker modified motor then just get another SCR cell and add it on top of the existing battery.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fredswain
That car belongs in the Smithsonian! Beautiful job.

I bought my JRX in 1988 when it came out. I still have the car that it evolved into. As far as correct batteries for the period, SC, SCR or SCE would be appropriate. 6 cells with a stock motor or 7 cells with a modified motor. SC and SCE packs were both yellow. The different was the writing. SC cells had black writing but SCE cells had blue writing. SCR cells were red. All were used back then. Cell orientation is also a non issue as there were multiple orientations. For the stock motor that is in it right now, in race form a 6 cell SCR pack is perfect. Wire it up with the old red 4 pin Deans plugs. Some people would direct solder the esc wires to the motor although I would use Deans on the motor as well wired up in a way that I could plug the battery directly into the motor if I wanted to. Not that I wanted to.

If you want to switch out to a yellow sticker modified motor then just get another SCR cell and add it on top of the existing battery.
The smithsonian, eh?

I just got my micro 4 pin deans plugs today, I went with the black ones which were out just before the red ones... 87 I think. I got a pair for the battery, and a pair for the motor wires. Also got my battery bars and battery shrinkwrap. All came in the mail today. However, This stock motor is only temporary, so it will stay unsoldered. Once I get the mod motor in there, I will wire it up as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

That sir is a thing of stunning perfection!!That takes me back right there,,VERRY nice shelf queen capt!!Around here we mounted the speedo on the R shock tower though to help keep the dirt out of them
Old 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
That sir is a thing of stunning perfection!!That takes me back right there,,VERRY nice shelf queen capt!!Around here we mounted the speedo on the R shock tower though to help keep the dirt out of them
I remember mounting my first futaba speedo to the shock tower simply because they didn't fit next to the battery with the side bulkhead there. Once we moved to H arms and gained some room, we started mounting them on the chassis... I don't remember having any issues with dirt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.