Should IFMAR Add Short Course?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should IFMAR Add Short Course?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

They need to dump wheeler, I can't remember the last time I saw a wheeler race with more than 3-4 guys

If you actually watch real full size offroad racing, they are mostly some form of a truck.....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Suspended

my answer is no.

besides, someone took the time to host their own world championships for 1.8th ebuggy without a sanction and actually got some sponsors.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A big problem I have with SCT is that most of them are 8th scale trucks / buggies with an SCT body masquerading as a 10th scale off roader. And they handle like boats. I get sea sick watching them.

Sorry, but that's my opinion
Old 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

NO!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Losiho
A big problem I have with SCT is that most of them are 8th scale trucks / buggies with an SCT body masquerading as a 10th scale off roader. And they handle like boats. I get sea sick watching them.

Sorry, but that's my opinion
The only ones I see that drive like boats are stock slashes lol.

My blitz is on rails and definitely isn't boat like..... :-)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have to say no! sct takes the finesse out of racing its a bashers class
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

How many people that think it should , have been in this hobby for more than 5 years???
Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Been racin for roughly 15 years, fads come and go. I see shortcourse going the way of production monster truck sooner rather than later. Mod buggy has always been around.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
How many people that think it should , have been in this hobby for more than 5 years???
Me. I've been doing RC for over 25 years, have attended numerous world championships and have worked in the industry for over a decade. None of that really makes my opinion more valid than anyone else's.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is my take on it and I might have a little different view as a former national level amateur snowboarder. I agree with most of you guys as for it being to close to it's infancy to be a full blown IFMAR sanctioned class at Worlds. But to me it is the PERFECT class to showcase as an EXHIBITION class. Exhibition classes are used to showcase a popular/growing segment of the hobby and recognize it as such as well as give it a trial basis to see if it can hold enough interest on a world level to validate adding it to the sanctioned official classes in the future.

So what does this have to do with snowboarding? Well I remember when snowboarding was looked at as a bastardized snow sport and we weren't allowed at many resorts. Then in 1994 at the Lillehammer Winter Olympics, snowboarding became an exhibition sport, meaning there would be medals awarded, but they would not be included in the country's official medal counts. In what seems like not too long ago, but now that I think about it, whoa, it's been 18 years (I'm getting old!), it's become arguably the most popular winter sport in the world. Infact, because of it's great tv ratings and increasing popularity, they added another class to the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics which will be Slopestyle. In my opinion Slopestyle is the most fun snowboarding discipline to watch as a spectator.

I digress, my analogy basically is to show that Snowboarding was the perfect exhibition sport to compliment the Winter Olympics and eventually gained enough merit to become a fully sanctioned Olympic sport. While I'm not saying that Shortcourse will become a fully Sanctioned IFMAR class, it's certainly deserving of being an EXHIBITION class. No other class in recent history has bolstered the growth of the hobby in the way SC has. It came at a time when tracks were closing due to lack of interest and now tracks are opening up all over again due to the surging popularity brought in large part to SC, bucking the trends of a down economy where expendable income is very low for many people. And, like others have said, it's nolonger just an American thing, look at the videos from around the world, Shortcourse has worldwide appeal even though it originated here...just like snowboarding

There's always gonna be the old pharts who don't want change (in wintersports, it was the old 1 piece jumpsuit wearing ski-pole stuck in the arse snobs who looked down on us snowboarders that eventually kept their resorts open even though they tried to keep us off the mountain), heck they'd still be running brushed motors and NiCD & NiMh batteries if they still were as competitive as current brushless motors and lipos. Let them break out their lathes and start cutting comms again while they discharge their batteries using lightbulbs I'll be having fun out on the track with my long runtime, low maintenance lipo and brushless powered shortcourse truck while they're still in the pits soldering on new brushes. Basically, it's a class that changed the hobby for the better, even if you didn't get into it, you're still benefiting from the popularity of shortcourse, so let's recognize it's contribution by allowing it to be an exhibition class at the IFMAR Worlds.

Rant over
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why shouldn't it be? 4wd buggy is dead as a door nail.So what if it doesn't handle like a buggy we already have a buggy class.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Legend

Bet one thing ..

If IFMAR did decide to include the Sc class to its program ?

The organizations membership would grow by leaps & bounds ...

But ?

That would be just silly to do something that ....
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
They need to dump wheeler, I can't remember the last time I saw a wheeler race with more than 3-4 guys

If you actually watch real full size offroad racing, they are mostly some form of a truck.....
Pickup trucks are largely an American phenomenon. While SCT is popular in the US/North America and seems to have developed pockets of racers (Belgium and Japan expamples) it is barely a blip on the screen globally. If it is not raced worldwide, it should not have a world championship. Same as calling the Superbowl or MLB "World Series" winners world champions. They aren't because the teams are all North American.

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Bet one thing ..

If IFMAR did decide to include the Sc class to its program ?

The organizations membership would grow by leaps & bounds ...

But ?

That would be just silly to do something that ....
Probably not as much as you think. How many ROAR members are there? How many are solely SCT participants? Reduce that by the number that would participate internationally and the paid pros and you have very few.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Those wishing to have their opinion, for or against, seen by IFMAR are encouraged to leave a comment here.

IFMAR does, indeed, want your feedback.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Should Formula 1 run on a few ovals because NASCAR is #1 in the US???

The "I" stands for international, I would guess that 4wd buggy is still a big class if you look at the big picture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.