Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

XFactory SCX-60CF

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What do these use as a gear cover for spur and pinion?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Nothing, Mugen. There is no cover because it's not a problem. The original X - 6 had no gear cover, and we've had no problems using the same transmission with no cover on every car we've made.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default SCX-60CF gear cover

Originally Posted by mugenlife
What do these use as a gear cover for spur and pinion?
Great question. I have seen a couple of these trucks with some type of gear cover. I don't know if they made the cover or took one from something else and made it fit. I know the guys who race on todays sweet sugar dirt pavement don't worry about it. However, the guys on loamy outdoor tracks can greatly benefit from a gear cover. Our loamy track locks up bearings after 4 runs on the newer style cutaway motors. Hard to feel good about watching and hearing the damage each lap. Same with spur gear and pinon. I will be looking for something that works for my truck. Maybe someone who has made something fit will chime in. There are still a few real dirt tracks out there.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

We run on those tracks all the time here in the upper midwest. Check out all the pix & vids from Pheasant Runn -- rooster tails everywhere -- along with most of our outdoor tracks. Still no gear cover.

However, if you want one, contact Speedy Dad here on this board. He makes a CF motor plate which fits our 4-Gear trans and accepts the standard AE gear cover.

While Speedy Dad is not officially a part of X Factory, we have worked closely with him for about 10 years now and recommend everything he makes. Great quality, perfect fit, and no rip-off.

Gosh, Dad, has it been 10 years????? Oh my!
Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoungChazz
We run on those tracks all the time here in the upper midwest. Check out all the pix & vids from Pheasant Runn -- rooster tails everywhere -- along with most of our outdoor tracks. Still no gear cover.

However, if you want one, contact Speedy Dad here on this board. He makes a CF motor plate which fits our 4-Gear trans and accepts the standard AE gear cover.

While Speedy Dad is not officially a part of X Factory, we have worked closely with him for about 10 years now and recommend everything he makes. Great quality, perfect fit, and no rip-off.

Gosh, Dad, has it been 10 years????? Oh my!
I see the roster tails, don't see the fine silt dust clouds though. I started wrapping my motors with Vet tape. That helps.

A motor plate of CF wont transfer heat and cool motor. May end up with a custom plate, but the few I have seen look like factory cover from something else. I didn't own this truck at the time or I would have ask them about it.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

All X Factory vehicles come with our 4-Gear transmission, which is unique. It requires our motor plate #1234. We know of no other motor plate which bolts directly onto our transmission.

We have begun drilling & tapping two holes into #1234 which one day could be used for a gear cover, but have never had one made. So, the holes are there.

I can imagine a very fine dust that could be a problem; because there normally is no seal between the cover and motor plate, I suspect a very fine dust would creep in anyway. No Team driver so far, and it's been 10 years, has reported dust-in-the-pinion/spur as a problem. That doesn't mean you don't have it, but that we've not seen it so far. Remember, it's got to be something many people need before we can justify the expense of the mold needed to make the cover along with sourcing the rubber plug for the end,

The primary reason other cars have gear covers is to protect marshals' hands. Remember the old days of rear motor. Since our body covers everything, that's not an issue.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We know of no other motor plate which bolts directly onto our transmission.
Except mine.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
A motor plate of CF wont transfer heat and cool motor. May end up with a custom plate, but the few I have seen look like factory cover from something else. I didn't own this truck at the time or I would have ask them about it.
Really, an aluminum motor plate doesn't do much to cool a motor. Yes, it transfers some heat but half that heat is trapped under a gear cover so it goes nowhere. Once the motor plate reaches temp of the motor, it mostly equalizes. You would do much better running a cooling fan on the motor. X Factory sells a great mount for that. I've run a carbon fiber motor plate for years and my gearing and temps are the same as those with aluminum motor plates.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Default Gear Cover 32 Pitch Spur

All X Factory vehicles come with our 4-Gear transmission, which is unique. It requires our motor plate #1234. We know of no other motor plate which bolts directly onto our transmission.

We have begun drilling & tapping two holes into #1234 which one day could be used for a gear cover, but have never had one made. So, the holes are there.

I can imagine a very fine dust that could be a problem; because there normally is no seal between the cover and motor plate, I suspect a very fine dust would creep in anyway. No Team driver so far, and it's been 10 years, has reported dust-in-the-pinion/spur as a problem. That doesn't mean you don't have it, but that we've not seen it so far. Remember, it's got to be something many people need before we can justify the expense of the mold needed to make the cover along with sourcing the rubber plug for the end,

The primary reason other cars have gear covers is to protect marshals' hands. Remember the old days of rear motor. Since our body covers everything, that's not an issue.
I do remember the rear motor days. Ran my late 80s Kyosho Ultima buggies and trucks without a gear cover when I went all out crazy about saving wt. Was not concerned about turn marshal with wheels/gears not turning. After replacing the exposed gears a couple of times I went with the cover and a thin layer of grease to seal it. Later on my newer rigs I found teflon paste was better. Raced a year every weekend before I even thought about replacing the outer gears again. Still own those relics.

There is hope with the holes in the motor plate. There is a guy somewhere with a 3d printer and a solution for this missing part.

Originally Posted by SpeedyDad
Really, an aluminum motor plate doesn't do much to cool a motor. Yes, it transfers some heat but half that heat is trapped under a gear cover so it goes nowhere. Once the motor plate reaches temp of the motor, it mostly equalizes. You would do much better running a cooling fan on the motor. X Factory sells a great mount for that. I've run a carbon fiber motor plate for years and my gearing and temps are the same as those with aluminum motor plates.
I agree with much of that. The fact that the plate gets hot tells us it has helped displace heat. I think the fan is a good option for my truck. I will do that. Might not fit under my buggy body.

I stumbled on another solution that might help me and others. Using a 32 pitch spur and pinion gear that can handle the dirt and dust better. Gearing options are somewhat limited, but a 54t spur and 13t pinion has been done. For now this is the best alternative I have seen to deal with no gear cover.

Associated Spur Gear 54T GT2 Part#7955 , Smaller sizes available?

Picture from another member on RC Short Course thread.

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 10-03-2016 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Installed the 32 pitch gear and pinion today. Bench test seems very close to correct gearing for my 7.5 motor. I have not track tested it due to weather and ongoing track rebuild. Very surprised how quiet it is. I see no reason 32 pitch will not hold up like Mod1 gearing on 1/8 scale.

Still want a gear cover though I'm not as worried about it now.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looking for a good current setup for high bite clay indoor. Everything on Petit etc is older. Can't find anything that's been posted in 2015.

Also, I have an X-60CF and SCX-60CF with nearly the same setup, the main difference is old (small bore) shocks on the X-60 and big bores on the SCX-60. I wish my SCX-60 would handle like my X-60, the X is much easier to drive and handles better in every way. I can't attribute everything on the difference between a CORR and stadium truck. I've seen this before with the big bores not being all they're cracked up to be. Anyone else or is it just me?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Joe, I think this is the big reason stadium truck is beginning to come back and SC is fading. The stadium truck is more of a race car. It just handles so much better. Lighter, a bit shorter, yet with bigger tires that soak up bumps and landings. I love driving my X - 60CF and hope to return to the action soon. (We talked about me getting my truck back in the last VideoCast.)

As to the set-ups, Paul keeps running very close to the same set-up on his SC that he has used for more than a year. It just works. A small tweak here or there depending on track and condition, but he usually returns to "standard" when moving to a different track. Same with the stadium truck. Remember that newer often is not better. We try different things, and many do not work well at all.

The BBs do help, and the larger the vehicle, the more help they are. Paul recently changed his Cubed (AE BBs) to Kyosho springs and loves them. I expect they will find their way to his truck soon.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

back from the dead. I've had one of these sitting in my collection for the past 6 months. Finally got around to wiring it up and I love it! Drives so smooth, jumps and lands better than any sct I've driven. But to me has one fault, the transmission. I've never been a fan of ball diffs and the trans not being clearanced to accept a few diff is a bit of a bummer. So this brings me to my question. Has anyone stuffed a transmission from another vehicle in a scx60cf? I'm picking up another vehicle and plan to try fitting a b5m laydown transmission in it. Running on high bite turf this seems a step in the right direction.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

The only thing I need for this truck is sway bars. Seems odd that no bolt on sway bar exist? Can't cost much to make somersthing that bolts on.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
The only thing I need for this truck is sway bars. Seems odd that no bolt on sway bar exist? Can't cost much to make somersthing that bolts on.
I used the J concepts sc10 sway bar kit with mine with no issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.