R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Favorite Fuel and why (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/58276-favorite-fuel-why.html)

ziggurat 12-24-2004 09:44 AM

Favorite Fuel and why

I keep hearing that some fuels are better than others; that some give more consistent performance or run cooler. I've heard trinity monster 30% fuel is the best, but it runs $33 at my local hobby shop. I figure part of that price is just name recognition because they win a lot of Reader's Choice awards. I bought some Byron's (Mugen) 30% fuel and that was $24. I also heard O'Donnell is really good and it is comparable in price to the Byron's.

Please share your experience.

evo|aid 12-24-2004 10:45 AM

tornado fuel supposedly give you the most power but less oil (8%). hard to come by tho'.

i'm currently using sidewinder, am very happy with it. i personally like the reddish color :D
might try white lightning next time around.

there's not one fuel that's above the rest. ultimately it's a matter of brand preference...

slrguy 12-24-2004 03:56 PM

Rick Brake of RBmods.net says Byron fuel is the best followed by Odonnell and Maxy. His opinion is based on years of looking at the internals of dozens different manufacturers engines.

Me? I've been using White Lightning 30% with 8% oil in both a RB WS7II and RB C5 with outstanding results. I can get Odonnell 30% cheaper but White Lightning is quicker around the track.

AreCee 12-24-2004 04:15 PM

I like whichever fuel is on sale. After trying so many different brands I found that they all perform very close once you retune for the fuel. So now I buy the sale brand.

Sofast-NT 12-24-2004 04:30 PM

I run odonell 20% (8%)castor nitro.Motor idols better,has more top end,gets up to temp. faster.Most hobbyshops sell it for $30,where i race has it for $22 bucks

never lift 12-24-2004 06:45 PM

for racing i use o'donell 20% for bashing i use blue thunder 30%
i've always done this plus the guys at the track use o'donell 20%

ziggurat 12-24-2004 07:29 PM

Never Lift, Why do you race with 20% nitro, but bash with 30%? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. 30% nitro having greater horsepower than 20% fuel, but 20% nitro fuel generally getting better mileage and wear on the motor...? What I've read anyway...

Aaron Waldron 12-25-2004 12:28 AM

Percentage of nitro makes no difference on how quickly the engine wears. Correctly tuned, the only difference a higher nitro fuel should make is simply that the engine will run cooler, with possibly more power.

Trinity Platinum Race Blend fuel, best there is :cool:

Trixter 12-25-2004 04:18 AM

You can buy all that fancy named stuff but I have been using 20% Blue Thunder since '99 and my OS .12's run great and I yet to be out run by another brand. I may get out driven, but it isn't the fuel.

madweazl 12-25-2004 05:43 AM

I loved the Blue Thunder Race Formula when I was running gas in the past. It ran leaner and cooler than the Odonnel did (same nitro content). Those are the only 2 fuels I've used though.

Just picking up a 1/8 scale so I'll be trying out some different brands now.

W.E.D.Jim 12-25-2004 07:02 AM

Maxys Fuel, i've tried a dozen or so brands and it gives me excellent wear and power, leaves little if any residue biuldup in the crankcase and Maxy is a great guy!

How many fuel compaines will run over to help you with engine temps and tuning at the races if you run thier fuel? 1, Maxy's!.........Jim

ImGoinRCn 12-25-2004 06:13 PM

Byrons:tire:

never lift 12-25-2004 06:41 PM

well everybody else at the track uses 20% o' donell so if i run out of fuel i can get some from them .. i race a modded t-maxx
and a ofna hyper7 buggy and my bash truck is a truckzilla .46 which needs the extra nitro content . because it puts out 4.8 hp
i have a engine builder at my track to help out .. eb mods ..
how many do that

Aaron Waldron 12-25-2004 07:33 PM

You run Trinity fuel around here and you get put at the head of the line for two of the best engine tuners in the west! :p

SG_Racer 12-29-2004 06:26 PM

I have heard a lot of good things about the white lightning but here in Puerto Rico no hobby has it...