Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Stock motor took a crap >

Stock motor took a crap

Stock motor took a crap

Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Stock motor took a crap

Have a 2wd slash with stock 12t motor looking for something in a brushed motor with a little more in it what would you guys recommend
Old 12-29-2011, 08:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Thats why they are so cheap! Drop another $15 for a new one!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
+1
Old 12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If you go with anything faster say like a 10t double, it will require a lot more maintenance compared to the closed endbell Titan you can replace it with.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liquid g
Have a 2wd slash with stock 12t motor looking for something in a brushed motor with a little more in it what would you guys recommend
There are not many brushed options out there new. If you can find a Team Checkpoint Money Motor 19T and some extra brushes for it, it would last you a while without maintenance. The issue with brushed motors that are "better" than the stock Titan is they are supposed to be periodically rebuilt with new brushes and a fresh cut communicator. To do this, you need to own a comm lathe.

One option would be the Venom Fireball series. They are only $20 and might last as long as the Titan and when they quit working, just buy another. They don't last long though and their quality is not very high. If you get another Titan, make sure you break it in correctly (I think there are some vids on this) and it will last a bit longer and give better performance.

If you do get another motor, make sure your ESC can handle it. It has been a while since I dealt with the stock Traxxas brushed ESC, but I think it only handles 15T motors and up.

Your best bet if you want more speed or less maintenance is to get a brushless system. Of coarse this costs more money up front, but you will be much happier. I've been running brushless for 4 years now and I have yet to have a motor need anything other than cleaning the bearings. I used to have a collection of 5 brushed motors that needed almost constant maintenance or replacing. I'm not going back!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by thecman26
+1
Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

If your looking for a brushed motor. Go with a Titan 15T. They work good in your Slash.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Thanks guys ,I have been throwing the idea out there of picking up a brushless system but Christmas broke the bank a little, and looking to go the 17.5 route just not sure what to buy .i have a brushless platinum slash 4x4 and this is way to fast do the track I race at for me I just started racing offroad like 2 weeks ago
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks guys ,I have been throwing the idea out there of picking up a brushless system but Christmas broke the bank a little, and looking to go the 17.5 route just not sure what to buy .i have a brushless platinum slash 4x4 and this is way to fast do the track I race at for me I just started racing offroad like 2 weeks ago
If your radio has the ability, just turn the throttle EPA down so it will only go as fast as you want to go.

If you want a 17.5, most of the name brands are good. Tekin, Epic Duo 3, RevTeck, Orion, LRP, Viper, and Murfdog to name a few. There are usually quite a few used ones in the for sale threads.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've been running this combo at Streamwood in my 2wd buggy and prior to that I had it in a Blitz.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Combo-175T

$100, and it's really smooth. It isn't the fastest but, it will get you around the track a lot easier than having an over powered truck. I've been running mine for about 6 months now and no issues.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gene1219
I've been running this combo at Streamwood in my 2wd buggy and prior to that I had it in a Blitz.

$100, and it's really smooth. It isn't the fastest but, it will get you around the track a lot easier than having an over powered truck. I've been running mine for about 6 months now and no issues.
awesome thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by gene1219

+1

I love my Speed Passion stuff. Great quality at a great price.