Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class???? >

????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class????

Like Tree1Likes

????Will We Ever See A 13.5 4WD Buggy Class????

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
Like I said earlier, 10.5 4X4 buggy is pretty fun, just enough speed to be fun but not too much as to be uncontrollable.
You'll never see anything slower in my buggy. 4x4 stands for lets REALLY race this out. Not choo choo around the track waiting for someone to fobble. Just think if you put a .12 in an 1/8th scale. You could call it stock 1/8th scale. 13.5 would be a good start but with in a month most would just motor up wanting to go faster. Its the nature of the beast. And then your stuck with a 10.5 running right with the big boyz. 10.5 would to me the best 4x4 class for under skilled mod speed racers. And then you can have 13.5 and a 17.5 mix in it if you want to enter the 4x4 class.

I would love to see a 10.5 4x4 class at our track.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
So you recommend someone that has never raced on dirt or even jumped a buggy or a truck for that matter to run in a class that has open rules on motors.........

All I'm saying is if they offer multiple classes for 2wd buggy and 2wd truck for the novice why not offer multiple classes for 4wd buggy to make the class more popular for the entry level racer. I would think a 13.5 boosted or 13.5 or 10.5 un-booster class in a 4wd buggy would be a fun class for a entry level racer and a easy transaction for a 4wd onroad racer.... Maybe I'm wrong maybe I'm right.
The multiple classes in 2wd are just as stupid too. A ton of folks have been saying just make it all mod and be done with it. It is beyond logical folks why electric insists on having all these class divisions as it simply isn't necessary. Electric class rules are stuck in the early 90s when brushless, lipos, and ESC tech have all but made multiple classes and the rules that govern them obsolete.

If someone doesn't have the skillset to keep up, you create a sportsman or rookie class. Motor power is the least of their worries, so no point in setting up bureaucractic rules. See nitro racing - for the most part run what you brung. Works just fine. Faster drivers will get around slower drivers and the clock ultimately sorts everyone for the mains.

You can't make racing "fair", so no point in trying. Sounds like a bunch of a leftist politicians.

Most of this stuff is about giving cry babies and losers a chance to win by creating sandbagging classes imho.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Legend

So you recommend someone that has never raced on dirt or even jumped a buggy or a truck for that matter to run in a class that has open rules on motors.........
hell yeah

if your a beginner with a 4x4 ?

You just choose any motor you deem best for your skills...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default No more classes...

No more classes, we have watched what this has done for the Onroad world and we do not need to contune to divide our already small classes into more smaller classes. It is nice to actually have more than an A-main in a class so making the show actually means something these days. Besides the 4x4 Buggy is ment to be an elite class...

If you must divide classes do it by skill level not equipment!

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Legend

at my local track they made a 13.5 Sc class & most are racing the class .

Now mod Sc is gone , none of the experience racers are running the 2w Sc class including me ....

This is what happens if you make a spec class with a Mod motor ....
Personally ?
Now considering selling my 2wSc ..

Be really care full what you wish for ....
Old 12-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The multiple classes in 2wd are just as stupid too. A ton of folks have been saying just make it all mod and be done with it. It is beyond logical folks why electric insists on having all these class divisions as it simply isn't necessary. Electric class rules are stuck in the early 90s when brushless, lipos, and ESC tech have all but made multiple classes and the rules that govern them obsolete.

If someone doesn't have the skillset to keep up, you create a sportsman or rookie class. Motor power is the least of their worries, so no point in setting up bureaucractic rules. See nitro racing - for the most part run what you brung. Works just fine. Faster drivers will get around slower drivers and the clock ultimately sorts everyone for the mains.

You can't make racing "fair", so no point in trying. Sounds like a bunch of a leftist politicians.

Most of this stuff is about giving cry babies and losers a chance to win by creating sandbagging classes imho.
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in the 90's "stock" was rookie/sportsman
Old 12-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
No more classes, we have watched what this has done for the Onroad world and we do not need to contune to divide our already small classes into more smaller classes. It is nice to actually have more than an A-main in a class so making the show actually means something these days. Besides the 4x4 Buggy is ment to be an elite class...

Just my 2 cents worth...
Could not agree more with this. I have always looked at 4wd buggy as the F1 of 10th scale offroad. They are meant to go fast!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Just my 2 cents worth...
I would think that Mod 2wd buggy to be the elite class?

It's all good...some people like the idea and some don't can't please everyone.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
See nitro racing - for the most part run what you brung. Works just fine. Faster drivers will get around slower drivers and the clock ultimately sorts everyone for the mains.
While I agree, I believe the reason it's worked in Nitro is because they are so easy to drive. Even the most powerful 1/8 buggies drive in slow motion compared to a 2wd or 4wd modified buggy. There is also the availability element. It's accepted because there isn't another option already.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
hell yeah

if your a beginner with a 4x4 ?

You just choose any motor you deem best for your skills...
E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.

I new to 2wd buggies and picked up a 10.5 to race in mod. Not slow, but not really that fast either. I get blown away by the more experienced guys with 8.5s on the straights, but I am consistent and don't need much marshalling. A few more races I figure I'll be able to handle a little more power.

I am not a new racer, but no point in my sandbagging in the stock class either. No chance in hell of winning and can barely make the A main in 2wd mod locally, but having fun which is all that matters. As I get better, I'll move up in qualifying. I see no point in creating other classes.

Run what you brung and let the clock sort skill level out. If you don't know left from right on your transmitter, run sportsman.

This isn't rocket science...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

This was just something I read and it seems to be working over seas. I guess we as Americans are just addicted to moving fast. Don't get me wrong I love to drive rc cars fast as hell but for a newbie just geting into off road racing if they offered 13.5 4wd at my local track I would refer them to that over 13.5 buugy or SC it's just easier to wheel.

Have a happy new year everyone I'm out....!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Tech Legend

I would think that Mod 2wd buggy to be the elite class?
Not true anymore , bunch of racers with years of experience are now claiming the stock class is for fast guys and a class with as much prestige as the mod class's..

Stock is officially no longer a beginner level class ....

This is again , is what happens when you make spec motor's as fast as mod ...

Now we have the 2w class guys divided and stock guys saying we are just as fast as the mod drivers....

The beginner's ?

They only get it handed to them every race and never get to win races with guys their skill level anymore....

That's lamo again and bad news for our sport ...
Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Stock Classes...

I will say it once and then be done...

It does not matter what class, what motor or how you divide the classes... You will always have three classes of people... Those who are new, those who most likely will win and those in the middle.

Our local track will be switching stock classes to blinky stock at the new year and many are already running this setup against the boosted stock and what is funny is the same guys who took top spots in standard stock class are finishing in the top spots in blinky 17.5 mode over the boosted guys (Few exceptions but for the most part...)

I ran 17.5 blinky for the first time every last night and to be competitive you have to drive your A$$ off with a loose car that you drive on the edge... NO new driver will take a top spot in this class because it will be stacked with guys that should be running mod anyways. I only ran class because it was the only SCT class that night to run.

No matter what the equipment is... it will not change the racers or the mentality of who is racing... Divide by skill level which is what the A,B,C mains really do anyways so why have multiple classes...

With that said I feel there is room for Rookie/sportsmen classes but we need to encourage these folks to move up and out sooner rather than later to keep them from sandbagging to win...

Stepping off soap box now...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

I will say it once and then be done...

It does not matter what class, what motor or how you divide the classes... You will always have three classes of people... Those who are new, those who most likely will win and those in the middle.

Our local track will be switching stock classes to blinky stock at the new year and many are already running this setup against the boosted stock and what is funny is the same guys who took top spots in standard stock class are finishing in the top spots in blinky 17.5 mode over the boosted guys (Few exceptions but for the most part...)

I ran 17.5 blinky for the first time every last night and to be competitive you have to drive your A$$ off with a loose car that you drive on the edge... NO new driver will take a top spot in this class because it will be stacked with guys that should be running mod anyways. I only ran class because it was the only SCT class that night to run.

No matter what the equipment is... it will not change the racers or the mentality of who is racing... Divide by skill level which is what the A,B,C mains really do anyways so why have multiple classes...

With that said I feel there is room for Rookie/sportsmen classes but we need to encourage these folks to move up and out sooner rather than later to keep them from sandbagging to win...
Stepping off soap box now...
Ok I agree with the bold highlighted area above that does make more sense to me. So run what you brung have fun and let the mains sort out the skill levels but have a rookie / sportsman class as well that's also run what ya brung. I do agree with Wild Cherry that the open classes seem to be the popular classes and they are the most fun to watch....

Works for me...
Old 12-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Legend

red-line

Mod has officially become the true spec class where the cars , drivers & motor's are equal...

No wonder it is becoming the most popular class with
more entrees than ever ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.